Job Thread

Chi Town Sox

8 minutes ago, G&T said:

Government. You would have job protections and a more welcoming environment. By government standards you are young. It might also bring a new career path. 

I wish. I don't qualify for the government engineering jobs. My grades weren't good enough. Already investigated it years ago. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I wish. I don't qualify for the government engineering jobs. My grades weren't good enough. Already investigated it years ago. 

Then don’t go for engineering. Look for other entry level jobs. Also, are you talking feds? Have you looked at state or local govt jobs?

A now ex-employee from my current company sounds like they are accepting a job with my former company.  I keep in touch with my old boss and a few others there, couldn't believe they didn't reach out at all to me to check on this guy.  If this guy does officially accept then they are in for a world of fun.

58 minutes ago, Brian said:

Anyone who WFH, last year was my first year being able to. Pretty much one week per month.

Do you write off your home internet and phone on taxes since you use em for work?

I don't have an answer for you but am curious. When you work one week a month from home, does that mean one full week at a time or is 5 days to use any time of the month?

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

I don't have an answer for you but am curious. When you work one week a month from home, does that mean one full week at a time or is 5 days to use any time of the month?

It's 4 or 5 days a month. Usually every Wednesday. Sometimes an extra day.

6 hours ago, Brian said:

Anyone who WFH, last year was my first year being able to. Pretty much one week per month.

Do you write off your home internet and phone on taxes since you use em for work?

I never have but that's mainly because I thought it would raise alarms and wasn't worth it.

5 hours ago, Brian said:

You can write off the amount actually used for work. So you’d have to pro rate those expenses. It’s probably not going to move the needle on taxes.

37 minutes ago, G&T said:

You can write off the amount actually used for work. So you’d have to pro rate those expenses. It’s probably not going to move the needle on taxes.

Yeah, I did some research and it doesn't seem worth it. Oh well.

On 8/21/2017 at 12:40 PM, greg775 said:

This has been touched on before, but is there anything to this report that Millennials are a different type group to manage at work? Any managers in here or talent evaluators? Is it true or not about Millennials? Are they good hires or not? From what I've noticed they work as hard as anybody else and take as much s*** from the superiors as anybody else.

Millenial here.  I think bosses/managers/old timers say this because a lot of my generation has an opinion on something.  Some of my supervisors b**** about millenials because they are stuck in their ways/don't want change from "back in the day".  The 6 or 7 of us are also probably the hardest workers at my job.  Just my very simplified 0.02

• Like 2

I am a millenial and manage about 25 people, the whole millenials are harder to manage line is a bunch of horseshit.  The hardest people on my team and our sister teams are older folks who feel threatened or won't change their habits.  All of my younger devs work way harder and are way more motivated.  They just don't accept company lines as easily.  You lose their trust, they are way more likely to leave for another job.  Essentially, they aren't company lifers, and that can be a very powerful thing (good and bad).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigruss said:

I am a millenial and manage about 25 people, the whole millenials are harder to manage line is a bunch of horseshit.  The hardest people on my team and our sister teams are older folks who feel threatened or won't change their habits.  All of my younger devs work way harder and are way more motivated.  They just don't accept company lines as easily.  You lose their trust, they are way more likely to leave for another job.  Essentially, they aren't company lifers, and that can be a very powerful thing (good and bad).

13 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Millenial here.  I think bosses/managers/old timers say this because a lot of my generation has an opinion on something.  Some of my supervisors b**** about millenials because they are stuck in their ways/don't want change from "back in the day".  The 6 or 7 of us are also probably the hardest workers at my job.  Just my very simplified 0.02

Nice posts. Glad to hear it! Millennials forever! There's nothing wrong with people who "don't accept company lines as easily" and "having an opinion on something." I was getting on a plane today listening to some guy in line talking about work (sales) and I wondered about how an old guy like that could work with young people if the stereotypes about Millennials were true. Glad to hear Millennials are definitely OK. Thank u.

On 2/10/2019 at 5:31 PM, greg775 said:

Nice posts. Glad to hear it! Millennials forever! There's nothing wrong with people who "don't accept company lines as easily" and "having an opinion on something." I was getting on a plane today listening to some guy in line talking about work (sales) and I wondered about how an old guy like that could work with young people if the stereotypes about Millennials were true. Glad to hear Millennials are definitely OK. Thank u.

As with any job, if you can’t keep up with the world then you will be left behind.  

• Like 1

I really think that millenials and those born in the 80s are two distinct groups. Those that were the early adopters of tech and those who weren't. IMO if you can remember a time without cell phones and the internet, you aren't really a millenial. I was born in 86 and I can remember those times. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Alright, for the finance and accounting people, I've been with a company now since mid-July (so 7 months now) and I'm not really happy with the work that I have been doing. My degree is in finance and I'm currently working as an accountant. I'm thinking if I make a move now, I want to switch over to the finance side and look for an analyst role. Thoughts?

Edited by soxfan2014

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Alright, for the finance and accounting people, I've been with a company now since mid-July (so 7 months now) and I'm not really happy with the work that I have been doing. My degree is in finance and I'm currently working as an accountant. I'm thinking if I make a move now, I want to switch over to the finance side and look for an analyst role. Thoughts?

How much other job history do you have?  The 7 months part could be a red flag to prospective employers if your other history is short too.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

How much other job history do you have?  The 7 months part could be a red flag to prospective employers if your other history is short too.

About 2 years at my last job. Job before that, it was about 6 months but I have a good reason for that. 3 months in, the company I worked for decided to relocate my department to where the parent company is located in Ohio. Obviously, I rejected that and started at my next job within a month later. I think I am going to work with a recruiter again so that they can find a great fit and should be able to explain my brief stints at that company and my current one.

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

About 2 years at my last job. Job before that, it was about 6 months but I have a good reason for that. 3 months in, the company I worked for decided to relocate my department to where the parent company is located in Ohio. Obviously, I rejected that and started at my next job within a month later. I think I am going to work with a recruiter again so that they can find a great fit and should be able to explain my brief stints at that company and my current one.

Yeah through a recruiter should give you the chance to explain. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've come to the conclusion that I have to work for myself in order to get my shit together. Does anyone have any ideas of work for yourself type positions that aren't sales related? I'm just brainstorming at this point. I have to be my own boss because I clash with my bosses and don't have the self-control to STFU long enough to not get fired. 

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ok, I've come to the conclusion that I have to work for myself in order to get my shit together. Does anyone have any ideas of work for yourself type positions that aren't sales related? I'm just brainstorming at this point. I have to be my own boss because I clash with my bosses and don't have the self-control to STFU long enough to not get fired. 

Uber/Lyft driver? You are the boss of your own car, you set your own hours. Not sure will you live, but I don't think someone can actually do this as a full-time job without living near a big city.

Edited by soxfan2014

12 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Uber/Lyft driver? You are the boss of your own car, you set your own hours. Not sure will you live, but I don't think someone can actually do this as a full-time job without living near a big city.

That is what I do right now. You can't make a living doing that. Cars are too expensive and you'll end up running it into the ground way too quickly. You'd have to buy a new car every 3-4 years, and that isn't realistic. You can't pay off a car that quickly. I did some math, and it really isn't viable for anything more than extra money. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• 3 months later...
On 2/24/2019 at 11:12 AM, Jack Parkman said:

That is what I do right now. You can't make a living doing that. Cars are too expensive and you'll end up running it into the ground way too quickly. You'd have to buy a new car every 3-4 years, and that isn't realistic. You can't pay off a car that quickly. I did some math, and it really isn't viable for anything more than extra money. 

Jack, I saw this article today and thought of you. https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/ct-life-autism-hiring-program-05292019-story.html

Hopefully you have had some good offers come your way, but I thought it was worth reading.