Job Thread

Chi Town Sox

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't believe I have an attitude problem. I do believe that most of the people in this thread, including you, are entitled and selfish, Look in the mirror, because maybe you are the one with the attitude problem. You just don't realize it. 

You have an attitude problem, no matter what you think. And you’re demanding that someone else go out of the way to find your purpose in life but I’m the selfish and entitled one? Ha. You have no idea where I’ve been or what I’ve done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's more extreme frustration than anything else. A positive attitude can only get you so far. If it were that easy, nobody would have any issues, everyone would be successful, and there would be no issues. This only exists in fantasy land. 

The big disconnect is that you guys accept the system, and all of its flaws, while choosing to work around them. I refuse to accept all of the flaws and want to create a better system. 

It's really the collectivist vs. individualist mindset. I'm significantly more collectivist than most people. Do I think we should go 100% on the collectivist spectrum? No, because individualism is a part of human nature. There's a balance that needs to be found, and we're skewed way too much toward individualism. Too much in either direction leads to crimes against humanity. 

I'd define our culture here in the US as "toxic individualism" right now. It's fuck your neighbor instead of help your neighbor. 

In my opinion we're all overworked and underpaid. It leads to resentment and finger pointing. The problem isn't you or me, the problem isn't even system as a whole. 

The problem is the application of the system. Too much responsibility is assigned to the individual, and not enough on the collective. We could easily decide to do things differently. But we don't, and that perpetuates the issues. People in general are too selfish and stupid to realize that it's not a zero-sum game. 

What in the fuck are you talking about.  You say you are against the system, but don’t actually do anything to drive real change.  And if that’s the case, you may as well adhere to the system already place.  Changes aren’t going to magically appear one day to make things better for you.  You control your own destiny, even if that may be an uphill battle given your autism.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What in the fuck are you talking about.  You say you are against the system, but don’t actually do anything to drive real change.  And if that’s the case, you may as well adhere to the system already place.  Changes aren’t going to magically appear one day to make things better for you.  You control your own destiny, even if that may be an uphill battle given your autism.

Uh, hello? He researches better applications of capitalism, whines about on the Internet, and insults everyone who disagrees with him. Takes a lot of effort, ya know.

• Like 1

Finishing my Bachelors this semester and got super lucky and scored a job as business consultant already!

Almost no commute, good benefits, good to great pay, leader who wants to take on a mentor role. I'm very excited! I was prepared for the long grind of interviewing and blasting resumes all over the place for months on end. Avoiding that is really awesome. 🙂

Edited by South Sider
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, lane said:

By society, you mean government, and by government, you mean you need tax money. My tax money. Does your disability mean I should have less money to feed, clothe, educate, and house my kids? Is that just?

Less than a penny per dollar of your tax dollars is going to social welfare programs for the less advantaged/fortunate. If you don't think people less fortunate than you deserve 1% of tax payer dollar, I am sorry to hear that.

Your tax payer dollars are being wasted in countless other places far worse than social welfare.

• Like 3

Just now, South Sider said:

Finishing my Bachelors this semester and got super lucky and scored a job as business consultant already!

Almost no commute, good benefits, good to great pay, leader who wants to take on a mentor role. I'm very excited! I was prepared for the long grind of interviewing and blasting resumes all over the place for months on end. 🙂

That's awesome- congrats!

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1) I would if money weren't a fucking object. Everything involves money. You should know that. 

2) RE: the bold-while people control their own decisions and other things, this is only true to a certain extent. It's the biggest fucking lie out there. People accept it as if it's fact. It isn't. Sometimes, you push so hard that you get in your own way. This is a baseball board, so has anyone ever been able to hit out of a slump? You can only do so much, but at the end of the day if people aren't willing to put up with you.....there's only so much you can do. 

I've learned a lot, and I'm trying to be more humble this go around. I accept the way things are to a certain extent, but I'm willing to go enact change outside of work. 

A lot of my frustration is due to having some unrealistic expectations. I realize that, and I have a different attitude about it now. 

Unrealistic expectations go both ways, and sometimes there are other things people don't realize about me. I have a very abrasive personality. If I get another chance, I'm just going to stfu and do my job. No ideas, no BS. Just do it, and let my work speak for itself. 

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Less than a penny per dollar of your tax dollars is going to social welfare programs for the less advantaged/fortunate. If you don't think people less fortunate than you deserve 1% of tax payer dollar, I am sorry to hear that.

Your tax payer dollars are being wasted in countless other places far worse than social welfare.

How is that true? 1/6 of what I paid in taxes on my last check went to Medicare alone.

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is an extension of the toxic individualism I rail against. You live in this country, you benefit from it, you should be willing to help your fellow citizens, regardless of whether or not you know them personally. 

You make choices based on whether or not it helps people you know, I make choices based on whether or not anyone in the country, regardless of personal friendship/acquaintance, can benefit from my choice. 

I’m sorry Jack, but didn’t you have a legit job or two at one point?  I could have sworn you quit one due to not liking your boss and got fired from another one for having a relationship with a coworker.  I personally am all for this country doing more for people on the spectrum, but how menu opportunities should one get?  Clearly at one point the system allowed you to get a job.  The country can’t subsidize everyone who fucks up their chances.  

Honestly, based on your posts here, it seems like you have too high of expectations  when it comes to jobs.  I get you may feel you are better than the opportunities available to you, but for most of us we have to start at the bottom and work way towards something fulfilling.  You seem to expect the perfect role for your skillset right of the bat and that’s probably not going to happen at this point.  No one in this country is entitled to to an awesome job, disabled or not, but sadly that’s the system your preaching for.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's more extreme frustration than anything else. A positive attitude can only get you so far. If it were that easy, nobody would have any issues, everyone would be successful, and there would be no issues. This only exists in fantasy land. 

The big disconnect is that you guys accept the system, and all of its flaws, while choosing to work around them. I refuse to accept all of the flaws and want to create a better system.

It's really the collectivist vs. individualist mindset. I'm significantly more collectivist than most people. Do I think we should go 100% on the collectivist spectrum? No, because individualism is a part of human nature. There's a balance that needs to be found, and we're skewed way too much toward individualism. Too much in either direction leads to crimes against humanity. 

I'd define our culture here in the US as "toxic individualism" right now. It's fuck your neighbor instead of help your neighbor. 

In my opinion we're all overworked and underpaid. It leads to resentment and finger pointing. The problem isn't you or me, the problem isn't even system as a whole. 

The problem is the application of the system. Too much responsibility is assigned to the individual, and not enough on the collective. We could easily decide to do things differently. But we don't, and that perpetuates the issues. People in general are too selfish and stupid to realize that it's not a zero-sum game. 

At what point do you decide you need a job and just accept the system?

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m sorry Jack, but didn’t you have a legit job or two at one point?  I could have sworn you quit one due to not liking your boss and got fired from another one for having a relationship with a coworker.  I personally am all for this country doing more for people on the spectrum, but how menu opportunities should one get?  Clearly at one point the system allowed you to get a job.  The country can’t subsidize everyone who fucks up their chances.  

Honestly, based on your posts here, it seems like you have too high of expectations  when it comes to jobs.  I get you may feel you are better than the opportunities available to you, but for most of us we have to start at the bottom and work way towards something fulfilling.  You seem to expect the perfect role for your skillset right of the bat and that’s probably not going to happen at this point.  No one in this country is entitled to to an awesome job, disabled or not, but sadly that’s the system your preaching for.

I don't think that people are necessarily entitled to an "awesome job" 

Maybe you and I have a different definition of what constitutes an "awesome job" 

I do think people should be able to get a job that is able to cover cost of living(rent/food/utilities)+ a little extra for the weekend as long as they want to work. If that's entitlement, maybe your expectations are too low. I think it's unreasonable from the employee's perspective to be asked to put in a 40 hour week and not be able to meet your basic needs without government assistance. At that point, the government is subsidizing your employer's profit margin, not you. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think that people are necessarily entitled to an "awesome job" 

Maybe you and I have a different definition of what constitutes an "awesome job" 

I do think people should be able to get a job that is able to cover cost of living(rent/food/utilities)+ a little extra for the weekend as long as they want to work. If that's entitlement, maybe your expectations are too low. I think it's unreasonable from the employee's perspective to be asked to put in a 40 hour week and not be able to meet your basic needs without government assistance. At that point, the government is subsidizing your employer's profit margin, not you. 

If you’re willing to share, how much did you make at your two legit jobs?

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you’re willing to share, how much did you make at your two legit jobs?

I made $ 200 a week at one for the 2 weeks I worked there, and at the other one I was well under 10k in a year. 

The most I've ever made in a year, as an adult is under 8k. 

Mostly because SSI is a poverty trap. They're so punitive. Neither job offered benefits, so I had to stay on SSI to have health insurance. 

I graduated college at 25, during a low point in the recession.(2011) I was only able to stay on my parents insurance because I was on SSI. 

Based on what I saw, the recovery didn't really take off until 2014-15. Jobs were hard to come by. 

You have to have a 40 hour a week job making 35-40k per year with benefits for it to be financially responsible to get off of SSI. I've done the math.

FYI, $15/hr is 31.5k......and that's before taxes. 

I take meds everyday to keep myself functional, and keeping the insurance>>>making money without benefits. I couldn't hold the job without the meds, and they're incredibly expensive oop. To put it in perspective, at a $12/hr, 40 hr/week job with no health insurance, I couldn't afford just my meds on my take home pay. Some insurance companies refuse to cover my meds. It's a huge, giant catch 22. If it wasn't for this, I would have done something else long ago. Not to mention the multiple physical issues I've had over the  years. 

My congenital leg deformity probably did more to prevent me from getting and keeping a job than my autism did. I was born with abnormally short tendons in my lower leg(gastrocnemius/achilles) that affected the structure of my foot as I grew. I didn't know about it until I was in my early 20s. All I knew was the severe pain. 

What a lot of people don't realize, is that when you're disabled you have to get a decent job immediately. You can't afford to work your way up the ladder, as crazy as that sounds, because you need the health insurance more than you need the job. No benefits=can't take the job, because I'll lose SSI and I can't afford my meds. Hence, why it's a poverty trap. Regardless of whether or not it's medicaid or private, you have to qualify, otherwise you're screwed. 

https://blogs.msn.com/povertynextdoor/locked-into-poverty-impossible-choices-forced-on-the-disabled/?fbclid=IwAR1epNWDL9BqIWVU3ZcM2F351mFkYn9brhdJ8d60oNnRemywCxoZyLrC-mA

Here's an article about a physically disabled person trying to work.....It's similar for me, but instead of a personal assistant think Psychiatrist/Therapist/meds. I'd theoretically "have access" through the ACA, but the deductibles are so high that it basically only covers a hospital visit.  That shit really adds up. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, lane said:

How is that true? 1/6 of what I paid in taxes on my last check went to Medicare alone.

Medicare isnt a social welfare program for the less fortunate unless you consider 90% of people over 65 less fortunate. 

That's certainly not what we're talking about. I also think assuring that elderly people have health care is kind of important - heck assuring everyone has access to good healthcare should be a human right/decency. Unless, again, you think poor or less fortunate people have less of a right to live than you.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Medicare isnt a social welfare program for the less fortunate unless you consider 90% of people over 65 less fortunate. 

That's certainly not what we're talking about. I also think assuring that elderly people have health care is kind of important - heck assuring everyone has access to good healthcare should be a human right/decency. Unless, again, you think poor or less fortunate people have less of a right to live than you.

Less of a right to live? That's hyperbolic as hell. I just don't think they have a right to my money which comes from my labor. I go to work every day for my family, not yours. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, lane said:

Less of a right to live? That's hyperbolic as hell. I just don't think they have a right to my money which comes from my labor. I go to work every day for my family, not yours. 

So again, you have zero problem spending endless money on the military machine... or on corporate bail outs (which took, at the time, a significantly higher percentage of your tax dollars)... I imagine you had no problem with the farmer bailouts either.

But, heaven forbid some of your tax dollars goes to helping a kid with cancer or the less fortunate with life saving treatments? Or help a kid getting an inhaler or insulin... 

Let's all hope no one in your family ever falls to financial or healthcare ruin. 

I go to work everyday too, and I will have maxed out my SS contribution by 40 years old, and who cares? Life isnt all about me. Taxes are paid regardless and I'd much rather have my taxes go to support a better life for my fellow americans, than to support bombing and droneing brown people in the middle east. It seems from your posts you only help your neighbors if theres some benefit in it for you. Pretty sad. If 1 penny out of a dollar isnt worth it so that their life expectancy can be similar to yours, my goodness. 

And again, Medicare isnt a social benefit program and you'll be using medicare post 65 just like everyone else given that it's as good as private insurance. My folks use it and they did quite well for themselves.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So again, you have zero problem spending endless money on the military machine... or on corporate bail outs (which took, at the time, a significantly higher percentage of your tax dollars)... I imagine you had no problem with the farmer bailouts either.

But, heaven forbid some of your tax dollars goes to helping a kid with cancer or the less fortunate with life saving treatments? Or help a kid getting an inhaler or insulin... 

Let's all hope no one in your family ever falls to financial or healthcare ruin. 

I go to work everyday too, and I will have maxed out my SS contribution by 40 years old, and who cares? Life isnt all about me. Taxes are paid regardless and I'd much rather have my taxes go to support a better life for my fellow americans, than to support bombing and droneing brown people in the middle east. It seems from your posts you only help your neighbors if theres some benefit in it for you. Pretty sad. If 1 penny out of a dollar isnt worth it so that they're life expectancy can be similar to yours, my goodness. 

And again, Medicare isnt a social benefit program and you'll be using medicare post 65 just like everyone else given that it's as good as private insurance. My folks use it and they did quite well for themselves.

I was going to give you a genuine response, but then you started foaming at the mouth about the military droning brown people in the ME. So I’ll pass. Try not to hurt yourself when Trump wins.

• Haha 1

Also, your individualism is very convenient.

You have no issues paying for roads you'll never use, bridges you'll never cross, research you'll never benefit from, education your children will never receive, teachers who will never lead your children, military technology that will never save you, and on and on. Your issues arise when another man personally benefits from your tax dollar. That's not individualism.

4 minutes ago, lane said:

I was going to give you a genuine response, but then you started foaming at the mouth about the military droning brown people in the ME. So I’ll pass. Try not to hurt yourself when Trump wins.

Obama killed more people with drone strikes than any President in history. Not sure what that has to do with trump. Drone strikes are heinous, I'm not sure why that's political to you.

Foaming at the mouth for pointing out 15% of our tax contributions go to wars that benefit us (the average american) nada?

There is no genuine response, sorry. I also didnt attack you personally or get upset so cool story. If you want to make this political, enjoy.

5 minutes ago, lane said:

The military is a legitimate function of federal government. Taking care of the Jacks of the world is not. Absolute last thing I’m posting on this topic.

Lol the usa spends more on defense than the next 8 highest spenders in the world combined. Yet it shares zero borders with hostiles, and has not used the military to protect itself/its peoples safety and lifestyle in 80 years.... if you want to pretend the cold war mattered then 40ish years.

If you dont like helping out fellow Americans, you are welcome to relocate to one of many South American countries that allow the wealthy to live a life free of taxes benefiting the poor in gated communities away from societies less fortunate.