Job Thread

Chi Town Sox

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

That wouldn't be a bad idea. I think I'm just not sure how I would feel about strangers staying with me.

You can screen who wants to stay with you and pick people who have good reviews from other airbnb hosts.  

I am pretty picky with the one I run for a family.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

Anyone have any good ideas/prospects for weekend only second jobs?

Pretty much any retail store or fast food joint?  It's pretty much a rule that they are the busiest on the weekends. 

I worked a second job at Wal-Mart back in 2001 or so and it was like 2 nights a week and weekends. Usually around 20 - 25 hours a week. I did that for about 3 years and it was exhausting but gave us some much-needed help paying down some debt we had accrued. 

5 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

I don't need your patronizing comment, son.  I'm saying we can do better and we need to stop putting our heads in the sand.

You cannot be guaranteed anything that involves the labor of other people. You only have “freedom froms”, not “rights to”.

Anyways, I’m gonna pass on having the government further intrude upon my life to help people like you. Thanks, though!

42 minutes ago, lane said:

You cannot be guaranteed anything that involves the labor of other people. You only have “freedom froms”, not “rights to”.

Anyways, I’m gonna pass on having the government further intrude upon my life to help people like you. Thanks, though!

You're not truly free in the absence of financial security. 

In the absence of that, one is a wage slave. 

If you have to worry about how you're going to pay for the following: 

Food

Housing

Healthcare

You're not actually free. 

Let's rephrase that: 

If you had to pay for your adult child's food/housing/healthcare, then they'd be considered a dependent on your tax returns. 

Now replace the parent with your employer and you get the picture. 

You are dependent on your job, and as long as that is the case, you're not truly free. 

This may be a controversial statement, but I don't care and whatever. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You're not truly free in the absence of financial security. 

In the absence of that, one is a wage slave. 

If you have to worry about how you're going to pay for the following: 

Food

Housing

Healthcare

You're not actually free. 

Let's rephrase that: 

If you had to pay for your adult child's food/housing/healthcare, then they'd be considered a dependent on your tax returns. 

Now replace the parent with your employer and you get the picture. 

You are dependent on your job, and as long as that is the case, you're not truly free. 

This may be a controversial statement, but I don't care and whatever. 

I have to pay for those things for myself and I'm free as a bird. But you want to restrict my freedom because you can't cover your costs. I'm not trying to restrict your freedom but you are trying to restrict mine. Not gonna happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lane said:

I have to pay for those things for myself and I'm free as a bird. But you want to restrict my freedom because you can't cover your costs. I'm not trying to restrict your freedom but you are trying to restrict mine. Not gonna happen.

Way to completely miss the point. 

If you lost your job tomorrow and couldn't find work for 18+ months could you cover your costs? 

If you lost your job and couldn't find work for 3 years could you cover your costs? 

If the answer is no, you are not free and 100% dependent on your employer. 

True freedom is working because you want to and not because you have to. 

Put another way: 

Could you retire tomorrow and not have to worry about housing and food for the remainder of your life? If the answer is no, then you are not free. 

Also: 

If you say something and the consequences affect you financially, then no, you do not actually have the right to free speech either. 

For example: 

If you're afraid of making a post on Facebook and getting fired for it, then your employer is censoring your speech. 

If the consequences of that choice(getting fired) doesn't affect you at all, then you have the right to free speech and are truly free. 

Being truly free is when the consequences of your decisions don't affect your lifestyle one bit. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If you lost your job tomorrow and couldn't find work for 18+ months could you cover your costs? 

If you lost your job and couldn't find work for 3 years could you cover your costs? 

If the answer is no, you are not free and 100% dependent on your employer. 

Why do you simply assume someone with an education, experience, and ambition couldn’t find a job for 18+ months?  There are also other options currently available:

1.)  Unemployment for 6 months.

2.)  Find a new job in your area of expertise.

3.)  Accept a lesser paying job.

4.)  If you refuse to do #3, live off some savings until you can accomplish #2.

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Why do you simply assume someone with an education, experience, and ambition couldn’t find a job for 18+ months?  There are also other options currently available:

1.)  Unemployment for 6 months.

2.)  Find a new job in your area of expertise.

3.)  Accept a lesser paying job.

4.)  If you refuse to do #3, live off some savings until you can accomplish #2.

See part b) 

Could you retire tomorrow and not have to worry about anything for the rest of your life? 

Could you maintain the same lifestyle? 

If not, you're not truly free. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Well, I have two jobs. But, if I lost the primary one, I would have enough in savings to pay myself my primary after-tax salary for 18 months. Combined with really restraining my spending, picking up more time with my secondary job, and doing side things like Uber or finishing my real estate license, I could make it last significantly longer.

But if I did blow through all of that and still not have a replacement job, I wouldn’t be here calling myself a slave and demanding others cover me.

See part b) 

Could you retire tomorrow and not have to worry about anything for the rest of your life? 

You are living in fantasyland.

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

See part b) 

Being “free” has nothing to do with maintaining your same lifestyle.  I could choose to be “free” from working a job, spend my entire life savings, and live under a bridge.  But it would be an awful life “free” of work that I choose not to live.

Where do you get the idea that maintaining one’s own lifestyle shouldn’t cost anything, like time and effort?  Almost everything in life costs either time and/or effort, but if you truly want to be “free” of working a job, you can always go live in the woods and hunt and eat squirrels.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Being “free” has nothing to do with maintaining your same lifestyle.  I could choose to be “free” from working a job, spend my entire life savings, and live under a bridge.  But it would be an awful life “free” of work that I choose not to live.

Where do you get the idea that maintaining one’s own lifestyle shouldn’t cost anything, like time and effort?  Almost everything in life costs either time and/or effort, but if you truly want to be “free” of working a job, you can always go live in the woods and hunt and eat squirrels.

When did I ever say that? I never said that it shouldn't cost anything. 

The point that I'm making is to tell you that your not actually free unless you're independently wealthy. If you're not independently wealthy, you're beholden to somebody, somewhere. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. 

Being “free” and not needing to work are not the same thing.  If you are the rare person that is born to a rich family, wins the lottery, etc., I guess you could be “free” from working.  But those same people could wind up living under a bridge after wasting all of their family’s money, getting cut off by their family, blowing all of their lottery money on drugs, etc.  Are they then no longer “free”?

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Says who? 

Way to dodge the question. Answer it from an intellectual standpoint. 

The answer is no. And it has zero effect on my freedom.

You are entitled. You post a lot about your struggles and your inability to get/keep jobs (but you apparently quit one over political differences, which I’ve never done), but you think you are unfree if you have to work to maintain a lifestyle. That is an entitled attitude. Throw it away.

16 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Being “free” and not needing to work are not the same thing.  If you are the rare person that is born to a rich family, wins the lottery, etc., I guess you could be “free” from working.  But those same people could wind up living under a bridge after wasting all of their family’s money, getting cut off by their family, blowing all of their lottery money on drugs, etc.  Are they then no longer “free”?

Yes they are. 

Being free is working because you want to, not because you have to. 

If you're spending 40+ hours every week working to pay the bills, you're not free. If you can cover the bills regardless of whether or not you work, you are. 

Have you ever heard of the time/money paradox? 

You have time, but no money. 

You have money, but no time. 

Free people have both, indefinitely. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Here to vent.

So I've worked at a company for over a year now. In the winter months we rotate on layoff because it's very slow whereas in the summer time it's hectic fast. It's been my turn for layoff the last 3 weeks and today I was informed that the company wants to restructure our employees. I was told my current job will no longer be in place, but if I wanted to join the production crew which makes landscape blocks I can. The main problem is they start at 6:00 am, and as a single father of 3, I can't always be there at 6:00 because my daycare provider doesn't open until 6:00, and my oldest's school doesn't open until 6:30. So now I am no longer employed because I can't make that work out.

Yes they are. 

So any older/retired person that has enough life savings and social security income to live out the rest of their life comfortably but decides to work as a part-time Walmart greeter out of boredom and simply to interact with people on a daily basis is not “free”?  This person could quit at any time.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes they are. 

Being free is working because you want to, not because you have to. 

If you're spending 40+ hours every week working to pay the bills. 

Have you ever heard of the time/money paradox? 

You have time, but no money. 

You have money, but no time. 

Free people have both. 

If this is the definition, no one in the history of mankind has ever been free.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WilliamTell said:

Here to vent.

So I've worked at a company for over a year now. In the winter months we rotate on layoff because it's very slow whereas in the summer time it's hectic fast. It's been my turn for layoff the last 3 weeks and today I was informed that the company wants to restructure our employees. I was told my current job will no longer be in place, but if I wanted to join the production crew which makes landscape blocks I can. The main problem is they start at 6:00 am, and as a single father of 3, I can't always be there at 6:00 because my daycare provider doesn't open until 6:00, and my oldest's school doesn't open until 6:30. So now I am no longer employed because I can't make that work out.

Ouch, awful situation. Hope something opens for you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

So any older/retired person that has enough life savings and social security income to live out the rest of their life comfortably but decides to work as a part-time Walmart greeter out of boredom and simply to interact with people on a daily basis is not “free”?  This person could quit at any time.

No, that person is free. They work because they want to, but not because they have to. That's the point I was trying to make. 

Despite what you guys might think, I actually love working.

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, that person is free. They work because the want to, but not because they have to. That's the point I was trying to make. 

Despite what you guys might think, I actually love working. It's good for my self-esteem and I feel better about myself when I do it. It sure beats sitting around all day being depressed. 

free
/frē/
adjective
  1. not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes.

At-will employment
“At-will refers to an employee that is free to leave a job at any time for any or no reason.”