Job Thread

Chi Town Sox

24 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Any vacation time you can take? Even if it's a staycation, you can avoid being in the office.

Do you have another job lined up?

I have vacation time, but no new job lined up yet.  I'm working on it now so I can be prepared to leave.  I'm responsible for a new product launch so my absence would not look good.  I still need to juggle professionalism with my desire to leave, right?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

I have vacation time, but no new job lined up yet.  I'm working on it now so I can be prepared to leave.  I'm responsible for a new product launch so my absence would not look good.  I still need to juggle professionalism with my desire to leave, right?

I always believed the first and last weeks were the most important. I actually returned to a company I left. Never burn bridges, it just isn't worth it. 

I left one company and the owner asked me to stay a month to ease the transition. The company I was going to agreed. What I remember the most was the new company stating my sense of responsibility and personalism is exactly what why they were hiring me. 

But I would prioritize researching at home your next move. Getting the new job while having a job is easier.

Does the person giving you a hard time have a financial gain if you don't make it until your bonus? 

19 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I always believed the first and last weeks were the most important. I actually returned to a company I left. Never burn bridges, it just isn't worth it. 

I left one company and the owner asked me to stay a month to ease the transition. The company I was going to agreed. What I remember the most was the new company stating my sense of responsibility and personalism is exactly what why they were hiring me. 

But I would prioritize researching at home your next move. Getting the new job while having a job is easier.

Does the person giving you a hard time have a financial gain if you don't make it until your bonus

No it's not their money.  I decided to pretend to make up and play nice until the bonus, and will be heavily looking for another job in the mean time.  It's really difficult working for bad managers, I salute those who have no choice but to put up with on a daily basis.

• Like 1

I was a very hands off, I'll let you know if there is something wrong, manager. Most of the branch managers I worked with appreciated that. One in particular was extremely unhappy that I didn't provide enough feedback and "support". They wanted constant feedback. I was a very bad manager for them. 

They interpreted the lack of attention as I didn't like them. It wasn't until they confided in a manager they thought I liked that we had an opportunity to resolve the issue. I couldn't be the micro manager they were accustomed to, but I could meet them part way. It took communication and trust for that to happen. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I feel I am monopolizing this thread but whatever 😄

So I found a really solid position that I applied to.  I want to reach out to what I believe is the HR/Talent Acquisition member to shoot my shot and introduce myself.  I was going to use LinkedIn.  Does anyone have any advice regarding cold communication for a job application?  I know networking is the key to getting a job these days but in case where you don't know anyone that works there, what is the best approach?

Thank you in advanced, Soxtalk!

Their job is to aquire talent. You're talent. I would go head first and call them at their office. But my background is sales and I didn't do much cold calling but being direct and enthusiastic with lots of research was key. 

On 2/19/2024 at 8:57 AM, pettie4sox said:

I feel I am monopolizing this thread but whatever 😄

So I found a really solid position that I applied to.  I want to reach out to what I believe is the HR/Talent Acquisition member to shoot my shot and introduce myself.  I was going to use LinkedIn.  Does anyone have any advice regarding cold communication for a job application?  I know networking is the key to getting a job these days but in case where you don't know anyone that works there, what is the best approach?

Thank you in advanced, Soxtalk!

I think it is a lot harder to get noticed with the online application process.  Things like Indeed and what not are inundated with poor connections and I think the initiative if you are truly are a good candidate is a nice touch.

While you would think hiring is easier now in some cases it is harder.

• Like 1