Job Thread

Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)
Russ,

I think it's impossible for us to know whether you should make a fuss or not. If the organization is as big as it sounds like it is, making a fuss would likely get you nowhere.

As for the use of the title, I would go ahead and throw it on my resume.

Fair point, and you're right it wouldn't make any difference. I thought about it a lot last night and decided it wasn't worth it, HR isn't going to change because of anything I say or do anyways.

But it was a good vent session =)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 12:42 PM)
1. Being told you're getting a promotion and getting a promotion are two very different things. Unless you've signed something confirming that on X day in March your title and compensation change, then this is just a promise you have to hope they'll keep.

2. Unless you've performed in a position, you shouldn't misrepresent yourself unless you don't plan on using anyone at your current company as a reference. I'd personally also expect your LinkedIn title to match your resume title.

1. Very true. This company doesn't sign anything in these types of "offers" or whatever you want to call them.

2. I'm starting to lean towards not using it yet, it's unfortunate but I know if I was hiring someone then I would feel a bit weirded out at least by it. It sucks for me, because like i said it's a big title promotion and makes me way more attractive (plus the fact that I can market another promotion) but consciously I don't think I can do it.

And like you said, I'd expect it to match Linkedin, and I definitely don't feel comfortable putting it out there where my colleagues would see it and know it's not active yet.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 12:58 AM)
My girlfriend needs a job that pays better than a Server gets paid, preferably is a job working with kids, and is flexible around college classes.

Anyone got any ideas? She's living paycheck to paycheck right now and is short on rent some months.

Tutoring? I had friends in college and post college that tutored as a supplement and made bank (depending on the family of the student).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 10:11 PM)
Tutoring? I had friends in college and post college that tutored as a supplement and made bank (depending on the family of the student).

This would have to be like a full 40 hour job though. She is a full time student and needs a full time job to afford to live on her own.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
My interview sort of turned into a joke. Working for that firm would be pretty awful for the work/life balance. 8.5 billable hours a day requirement, plus team meetings, team lead meetings and corporate meetings weekly (not billable). They asked me what kind of hours I work in my current job and I told them 8:45-9 to 5-5:15 with a handful of saturdays a year. They all basically laughed.

Seems to be a 60-65 hour work week there. It's not even a pay raise, it's just basically getting a second, part-time job at the same salary. Big pass. I played it up like I was interested. If anything I'll try to turn the offer into a raise at my current place. But good Lord did it make me appreciate my work/life balance at my job, even if I am underpaid a little.

8.5 billable hours/day is absurd. Comes out to 2125/yr even assuming two weeks of vacation. As much as I didn't like litigating, at least we only had a an 1800 hour requirement.

Man, do I not miss billable hours one bit.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 08:09 PM)
1. Very true. This company doesn't sign anything in these types of "offers" or whatever you want to call them.

2. I'm starting to lean towards not using it yet, it's unfortunate but I know if I was hiring someone then I would feel a bit weirded out at least by it. It sucks for me, because like i said it's a big title promotion and makes me way more attractive (plus the fact that I can market another promotion) but consciously I don't think I can do it.

And like you said, I'd expect it to match Linkedin, and I definitely don't feel comfortable putting it out there where my colleagues would see it and know it's not active yet.

I would mention though, that big companies, tend to not back down from #1 (they are just operating like many big companies do...they don't like doing things when it isn't part of their normal operating cadence, because that requires more approvals then just doing a standard promotion). They might do something compensation wise, etc, to alleviate the situation though or could even push sooner (depends on what is in the bucket and how much they value you...I don't think they'll instantly say no, but if you've already had a lot of conversations with them on the general subject and the urgency, having another probably wouldn't do anything.

On the second point, I agree fully with what Steve said and don't think it would be right to put your title in place. You can mention that you will be promoted in March, but I wouldn't put your title down. Ultimately if a company was interested in you, they will confirm with your current companies HR...when the titles don't line up (presuming who hires you does some quality back ground check...and that is pretty standard), now they are wondering what happened...you can explain it, but they might go...what else is he embeleshing on. Downside > then upside. You can still push the title through discussion anyway and March will be here before you know it.

All good points Jas, and why I'm leaning towards not using the title.

I talked to my boss more about it today at lunch, I used the word "promotion" and guess that wasn't right. I am just being slotted into the position that best terms the work I am/will be doing. So even though it's a level higher, has an increase in pay and part of the Manager Incentive Program (new for me) it's not a "promotion". :lol:

He doesn't agree with that either but apparently HR is saying it's not a promotion.

• 5 months later...

Accepted a new job recently. Official start date is the 17th of April. Same company. Exciting new role, so I am pleased.

Was given the option to relocate to Reno, NV if desired. Intrigued by the thought. Reno is turning into a little tech hotbed...definitely on the upswing.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 7, 2017 -> 06:10 AM)
I've only been to Reno a couple of times and the city itself didn't leave a great impression, but you'd have Lake Tahoe and the Sierras in your backyard.

SS, I agree...I've only really been in the small part of the city where our office is. Some of the surrounding areas seem absolutely spectacular though...and now their economy is really developing...kind of thinking it might eventually turn into a pretty big deal.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 7, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)
Anyone know anybody looking for an entry-levl type finance job in the city located in the loop? I'm trying to scoop up a referral bonus lol message me for details.

Can u help a 22 year old I know get a job in the city? He interviewed with the Fed and didn't get it. DePaul grad.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 9, 2017 -> 01:12 AM)
Can u help a 22 year old I know get a job in the city? He interviewed with the Fed and didn't get it. DePaul grad.

Sorry just saw this post. Ended up thinking of one of my friends after I posted this and filled out a referral form like an hour later. Maybe next time!

• 5 weeks later...

I've been dark from the site of late, but don't worry I love you dorks.

Anyway, a couple years back I discussed the hard decision to take a new job. Said job was for a company that promoted me to Vice President of Marketing a couple weeks back.

I made the right choice.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 11, 2017 -> 09:57 PM)

Anyway, a couple years back I discussed the hard decision to take a new job. Said job was for a company that promoted me to Vice President of Marketing a couple weeks back.

I made the right choice.

Congrats man!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 11, 2017 -> 07:57 PM)

I made the right choice.

Way to go, Steve!

Crazy that was a couple years ago already...keep up the good work, and definitely the right decision!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 11, 2017 -> 07:57 PM)

I made the right choice.

That's awesome Steve! Congrats!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll never understand the point of a screener phone interview. I haven't done many, but one I had today for a large, global company, was so dumb and pointless. This person had no information about the position and only asked me broad questions like "what would you say are your strengths?" "is there a work environment that is not a good fit for you?" "tell me about a time that you were challenged in a team setting." Seems to me this person's job is to find out who the best bulls***ters are and that's about it.

I don't understand the corporate HR world.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

I just had a screener with an IT recruiter for a company near Milwaukee, was actually a pretty good interview. He obviously couldn't go into depth with the technology but had good questions and knew what he was looking for. By far one of the better screeners I've talked to. I should not that he is an in-house recruiter for their IT department, many screeners I've talked to are 3rd party and pretty bad.

And I'm actually excited for this position, would be a good step forward from what I heard.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 25, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
I just had a screener with an IT recruiter for a company near Milwaukee, was actually a pretty good interview. He obviously couldn't go into depth with the technology but had good questions and knew what he was looking for. By far one of the better screeners I've talked to. I should not that he is an in-house recruiter for their IT department, many screeners I've talked to are 3rd party and pretty bad.

Oh man, you going somewhere else?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 25, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
Oh man, you going somewhere else?

I'm looking pretty hard right now, I've been struggling with my leadership for a couple years but was hopeful I could transition elsewhere in IT under leaders who could develop me/offer leadership opportunities. It hasn't happened, and I just had a sit down with my supervisor where I asked for more responsibility/title as a team lead under him as someone else in IT got a similar title. It wouldn't require any direct reports and I said I didn't expect any raise for it, it would just be focused on giving me a more clear path on getting into leadership. Their answer was a blunt no (and my reviews/HR standing/9 box crap are all stellar). Pretty much I took it as a message of where my leadership actually views me.