Job Thread

Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 25, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
I'm looking pretty hard right now, I've been struggling with my leadership for a couple years but was hopeful I could transition elsewhere in IT under leaders who could develop me/offer leadership opportunities. It hasn't happened, and I just had a sit down with my supervisor where I asked for more responsibility/title as a team lead under him as someone else in IT got a similar title. It wouldn't require any direct reports and I said I didn't expect any raise for it, it would just be focused on giving me a more clear path on getting into leadership. Their answer was a blunt no (and my reviews/HR standing/9 box crap are all stellar). Pretty much I took it as a message of where my leadership actually views me.

I'll PM you, I know of an opening in Arlington Heights

I'm looking pretty hard right now, I've been struggling with my leadership for a couple years but was hopeful I could transition elsewhere in IT under leaders who could develop me/offer leadership opportunities. It hasn't happened, and I just had a sit down with my supervisor where I asked for more responsibility/title as a team lead under him as someone else in IT got a similar title. It wouldn't require any direct reports and I said I didn't expect any raise for it, it would just be focused on giving me a more clear path on getting into leadership. Their answer was a blunt no (and my reviews/HR standing/9 box crap are all stellar). Pretty much I took it as a message of where my leadership actually views me.

I'd take that as a sign too.

I feel like I'm on the same boat as you are right now. I'm the Lead Help Desk analyst for our support center but my supervisor is so busy with the Desktop team that he's given me all responsibilities for the support center (scheduling/staffing, reporting, supervising the staff, employee reviews, etc.) I go above and beyond with everything and I'm eager to always learn but man been in this spot for almost 2 years now. There hasn't been an official support center manager since the last one left 2 years ago and I've been holding my breath on that spot but I think I've overdone what I'm actually responsible for that management is content with how things are at the moment.

QUOTE (Yoda @ May 25, 2017 -> 01:54 PM)
I feel like I'm on the same boat as you are right now. I'm the Lead Help Desk analyst for our support center but my supervisor is so busy with the Desktop team that he's given me all responsibilities for the support center (scheduling/staffing, reporting, supervising the staff, employee reviews, etc.) I go above and beyond with everything and I'm eager to always learn but man been in this spot for almost 2 years now. There hasn't been an official support center manager since the last one left 2 years ago and I've been holding my breath on that spot but I think I've overdone what I'm actually responsible for that management is content with how things are at the moment.

Good leadership recognizes it and rewards it, bad leadership just takes advantage of it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 26, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
Good leadership recognizes it and rewards it, bad leadership just takes advantage of it.

I've come to accept the notion that a big corporate environment (like the one I work in) can spend thousands on useless contractors and consultants but spend hardly enough on their employees.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
Is there anyone out there who's company could use an IT Project Manager? A good friend of mine is looking for a new position. He's fantastic at it.

Those are always in demand, I'll let you know if we have any open positions for it. A good idea is to work with a contracting company as well, many companies do test runs with PMs to make sure they are who they want.

I knocked my phone interview out of the park, working on scheduling an in-person interview now.

Still getting my head around a potential move out of Chicago though, there would be a lot of work just to figure that all out. I would love Milwaukee but owning a place here makes it complicated.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
Is there anyone out there who's company could use an IT Project Manager? A good friend of mine is looking for a new position. He's fantastic at it.

We always seem to be hiring for those. Does your friend want to move to the Seattle area?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 10:10 AM)
I knocked my phone interview out of the park, working on scheduling an in-person interview now.

Still getting my head around a potential move out of Chicago though, there would be a lot of work just to figure that all out. I would love Milwaukee but owning a place here makes it complicated.

Now's the time to be selling. It shouldn't be hard - but get that b**** market ready because the window closes. We listed our house in 2015 right around this time and it sold in August. We were overpriced but got really lucky.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
I used these, someone told me they are not reliable though.

What's your opinion? I know you're a higher up at your company or something along those lines.

I'm a Vice President.

Glassdoor is self-reported data. Salary.com is reliable if you have the paid experience and can drill down to specific locations. There really aren't better tools to use.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
I used these, someone told me they are not reliable though.

What's your opinion? I know you're a higher up at your company or something along those lines.

How good are your networking connections? I have personally found that industry contacts are usually more reliable than anything else.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 01:13 PM)
How good are your networking connections? I have personally found that industry contacts are usually more reliable than anything else.

I have networking connections but I don't know how many would be willing to divulge that type of personal information.

Quick question(s) about salary negotiations: If they say the job pays between X and Y, is it dangerous to go Y+?

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 05:24 PM)
I have networking connections but I don't know how many would be willing to divulge that type of personal information.

Quick question(s) about salary negotiations: If they say the job pays between X and Y, is it dangerous to go Y+?

Yes, and honestly if you don't want less than Y now or in the future don't take that job. All you're doing is setting up for the company to tell you no matter how good you are at the job, you are at the brink of what they will pay you. That means likely low increases in pay each year from now on, or until you get a different job.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 05:30 PM)
Yes, and honestly if you don't want less than Y now or in the future don't take that job. All you're doing is setting up for the company to tell you no matter how good you are at the job, you are at the brink of what they will pay you. That means likely low increases in pay each year from now on, or until you get a different job.

Here's the thing I don't get. You X years of experience, you plug them into salary or glassdoor and a market rate for the area pops up. A lot of these companies I'm interviewing for are lower than this. I don't know if I"m overvaluing my worth or companies are just cheap asses.

Some companies are just cheap as hell and then remain confused why they don't get good candidates.

Other companies have upper management that will "let" middle management put in requisitions to hire people, but they purposefully set the salary so low that the middle manager will never find a qualified candidate they like at that range or it'll be a constant churn of mediocre to bad employees.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
Some companies are just cheap as hell and then remain confused why they don't get good candidates.

Other companies have upper management that will "let" middle management put in requisitions to hire people, but they purposefully set the salary so low that the middle manager will never find a qualified candidate they like at that range or it'll be a constant churn of mediocre to bad employees.

Yeah I interviewed at this pharma company recently and they said I asked for too much money. They wanted someone to make 20-25K less than what was market and wanted more experience.

Good f***ing luck.

I declined another offer because they initially said they would give me what I wanted. Then went down to something that was OK then tried to lowball me finally.

I told them to take a hike.

It's just weird.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
Yeah I interviewed at this pharma company recently and they said I asked for too much money. They wanted someone to make 20-25K less than what was market and wanted more experience.

Good f***ing luck.

I declined another offer because they initially said they would give me what I wanted. Then went down to something that was OK then tried to lowball me finally.

I told them to take a hike.

It's just weird.

Yep. companies will do that. Just stick to your guns and wait until you get what you need to move on. If you have the option. Sometimes you need to take one just to get out of a bad situation you're currently in.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 10:36 AM)
Yep. companies will do that. Just stick to your guns and wait until you get what you need to move on. If you have the option. Sometimes you need to take one just to get out of a bad situation you're currently in.

Yeah I'm not in any desperate situation so I can hold out until I get an offer I feel is fair. No point taking a job just to start looking for another one soon.