ST: 3/14 at Angels

flavum

Nieto is DHing today. We haven't seen much of him at all this spring. It seems like the organization is deadset on continuing his development in the minors where he can play everyday as opposed to giving him a legit oppurtunity to win the backup catcher job.

It's the right move, obviously, especially with Soto, Kottaras and to a much lesser extent, Brantly in the fold.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 14, 2015 -> 04:04 PM)
Atta boy, Trayce....took out a runner with a great throw home from CF.

It would be nice if he had a good year and at least is a useful, cheap 4th OF for a few years. With his brother's success hopefully it rubs off in some increased confidence.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 14, 2015 -> 09:13 PM)
It would be nice if he had a good year and at least is a useful, cheap 4th OF for a few years. With his brother's success hopefully it rubs off in some increased confidence.

One of the biggest weaknesses on this roster right now is 4th outfielder. I'm not confident Schuck is a great fit.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 14, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)
One of the biggest weaknesses on this roster right now is 4th outfielder. I'm not confident Schuck is a great fit.

Yea it would be nice to have a defensive minded 4th OF that can play a solid CF. Schuck isn't capable of playing CF as anything other than an emergency option. If Eaton goes down for a month they probably have to switch Melky over to CF and that messes everything up.

Trayce has a hot spring and carries it over to Charlotte he might see himself up in June.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 14, 2015 -> 04:17 PM)
Yea it would be nice to have a defensive minded 4th OF that can play a solid CF. Schuck isn't capable of playing CF as anything other than an emergency option. If Eaton goes down for a month they probably have to switch Melky over to CF and that messes everything up.

Trayce has a hot spring and carries it over to Charlotte he might see himself up in June.

It would be Bonifacio in CF then.

Just a gut feeling, but I think Penny has a good shot at the start on April 11, with the opening day starter on the 12th...and they push back Sale's first start to the 17th or 18th in Detroit.

Penny may be a decent long reliever if he's willing to do it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 14, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)
Just a gut feeling, but I think Penny has a good shot at the start on April 11, with the opening day starter on the 12th...and they push back Sale's first start to the 17th or 18th in Detroit.

Penny may be a decent long reliever if he's willing to do it.

Why would they do that? They don't even need a 5th starter until the middle of April with all the off days. I'd rather throw Noesi and Danks out there than Penny. Penny however could have a very useful roll as the swing man.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 14, 2015 -> 04:53 PM)
Why would they do that? They don't even need a 5th starter until the middle of April with all the off days. I'd rather throw Noesi and Danks out there than Penny. Penny however could have a very useful roll as the swing man.

They need a 5th starter on the 11th or 12th. If Sale is ready by the 12th, then the opening day starter can go on 11th with regular rest.

I just think when it's all said and done, they'll stay on the cautious side and push Sale back after Cleveland. They'd still get 31 starts out of him if he stays off the DL after this.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 14, 2015 -> 05:57 PM)
They need a 5th starter on the 11th or 12th. If Sale is ready by the 12th, then the opening day starter can go on 11th with regular rest.

I just think when it's all said and done, they'll stay on the cautious side and push Sale back after Cleveland. They'd still get 31 starts out of him if he stays off the DL after this.

Could be, I'm just happy that at most it's looking like he misses 2 starts.

Johnson, Saladino and The Hawk tearing it up.

Trayce has looked great defensively, and Nieto is essentially a bonus farm piece with potential.

Saw the video...that was a deep throw to get the runner at home....and Micah's doing a great job of going with pitches and serving them up to the opposite field fwiw.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 14, 2015 -> 06:09 PM)
Johnson, Saladino and The Hawk tearing it up.

Trayce has looked great defensively, and Nieto is essentially a bonus farm piece with potential.

from a "young guys you'd like to see do well" perspective it's been a pretty promising start to spring.