Final Four

I had to hear the "refs robbed us" complaints all day yesterday on the radio from Kentucky fans.

Notre Dame didn't lose to Kentucky because of the refs.

Kentucky didn't lose to Wisconsin because of the refs.

Wisconsin didn't lose to Duke because of the refs.

And this is from somebody who is very disheartened to see the championship won by a team that Notre Dame beat twice, the last time very convincingly in the ACC tournament.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 09:15 AM)
Why weren't there this many complaints about the missed shot clock violation late against Kentucky?

The refs weren't the best, but Duke played better down the stretch and earned the victory. Dekker was 0-6 from behind the arc, WI needed a couple of those to win, it didn't happen. If they played again today, might be a different story.

The problem is for the National Championship game, the refs should be the best. If that is the best they have, officiating is a huge problem that needs to be addressed.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
I had to hear the "refs robbed us" complaints all day yesterday on the radio from Kentucky fans.

And this is from somebody who is very disheartened to see the championship won by a team that Notre Dame beat twice, the last time very convincingly in the ACC tournament.

Wisconsin lost that game, that is irrefutable. That being said, the fact that the refs missed calls that turned the game from one possession to two and two to three is pretty inexcusable. That is time and points that Duke should have never had.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 07:58 AM)
Illinois fans out in full force with the officiating complaints! Nice to see. The most egregious to me was the out of bounds call. The video clearly confirmed the ball was out on Duke, but they decided there was indisputable evidence? That's when I think the replay system should be handled by some group sitting behind a bunch of monitors outside of the stadium. The refs are under a lot of pressure to get that call right and they make mistakes. Get someone else to make that call, someone that can spend 45 seconds looking at monitors. I don't see why that can't happen at some stage of the tournament. Maybe starting with weekend #2.

Wisconsin got screwed, but it didn't help that they also choked the last few minutes. That's what really did them in.

Next year should be interesting in the Big Ten. I think Maryland is easily the team to beat. If everyone for Indiana comes back they might be 2. OSU should be up there if the recruits gel. Wisconsin and MSU will hang around. Purdue, Illinois and Iowa are your bubble teams....again.

The early preseason poll from Eamonn Brennan had it MD, Indiana....the MSU and Wisky at 24/25.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)

To me, the problem with the officiating in this Final Four was that they missed three critical objective calls late in games:

1) I'm no Kentucky fan, but the missed shot clock violation on the Hayes putback was awful. Get that call right and Kentucky is still up 2 with 2:20 or so left and has the ball.

2) The Winslow on the end line call. Winslow was able to use the baseline to get Okafor an easy and one (though I think he missed the free throw).

3) The out of bounds call under 2:00. My only defense for the refs there is that it wasn't clear until CBS found the blown up still shot of the ball on Winslow's fingers. If the refs didn't have access to that view, then I'm not sure there was enough to overturn the call. But if they didn't have access to that view, the better question is why the refs didn't have access to the best replay in the closing minutes of the tournament.

All 3 of the above were objective calls that were just missed. Given the importance of both games, and the precious nature of points and possession in late game situations, those are inexcusable misses by the refs.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 09:26 AM)
The problem is for the National Championship game, the refs should be the best. If that is the best they have, officiating is a huge problem that needs to be addressed.

Officiating is a problem that needs to be addressed in college basketball. It is consistently horrendous.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
Officiating is a problem that needs to be addressed in college basketball. It is consistently horrendous.

There is no standard that they are judged by as they are independent contractors.

As for them costing Wisconsin the game. It had a huge effect but coach K schooled Bo with incredible defensive schemes especially down the stretch. Coupled with Jones going Jordan and it was good night.