ST 3/16 Sox vs D-Backs 3:10 start

Whisox05

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 08:50 AM)
#WhiteSox at D-backs: Johnson 2B, Bonifacio CF, Garcia RF, LaRoche 1B, Flowers DH, Hawkins LF, Davidson 3B, Saladino SS, Smith C. Rodon P

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/577475667500998656

Hawkins is getting a lot of playing time with Taylor, Campana and John Danks gone....Mitchell basically out of the picture.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 10:41 AM)
Haven't been able to catch much of ST.. How has Davidson looked this spring. He was god awful last year. Hoping he turns it around.

He looks about the same, but has been dealing with a left shoulder problem.

I'm very pleased that Hawkins is looking composed and competent. Hopefully, he carries a lot of confidence into Birmingham.

On a more immediate concern, who's with me in hoping like hell that Saladino can supplant Beckham for the last spot on the 25 man?

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
I'm very pleased that Hawkins is looking composed and competent. Hopefully, he carries a lot of confidence into Birmingham.

On a more immediate concern, who's with me in hoping like hell that Saladino can supplant Beckham for the last spot on the 25 man?

I had originally thought that Beckham's $1.5M deal was only if he made the roster. But looking at the articles about it again, I think it's actually a true guaranteed contract. That being the case, I'll revise my earlier view that there was a chance Beckham doesn't make the team - he will make the team if healthy.

That said, he may not last the season.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 10:15 AM)
I had originally thought that Beckham's $1.5M deal was only if he made the roster. But looking at the articles about it again, I think it's actually a true guaranteed contract. That being the case, I'll revise my earlier view that there was a chance Beckham doesn't make the team - he will make the team if healthy.

That said, he may not last the season.

Thanks for peeing on my day. :( I'd thought I read they could be on the hook for as little as $250k, but that's probably not the case.

Tyler D looks better to me, though a ways to go in ST. Not really sure what he needs to improve upon, if he's healthy.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 11:22 AM)
Thanks for peeing on my day. :( I'd thought I read they could be on the hook for as little as $250k, but that's probably not the case.

Tyler D looks better to me, though a ways to go in ST. Not really sure what he needs to improve upon, if he's healthy.

If someone can show me where it is a non-guaranteed deal, I'd be happy to have been right earlier on and wrong now. Please do let me know if you find that!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
If someone can show me where it is a non-guaranteed deal, I'd be happy to have been right earlier on and wrong now. Please do let me know if you find that!

Even if it is non guaranteed, the longer you go in spring training, the more you have to pay. Beckham is on the team. He's been playing more than anyone to get used to the different positions.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)

Might have read in a post here or on SSS, not sure. T'would be nice if it were true. I think they'll rather have Sanchez, given his age and tradeability, getting everyday ABS in Charlotte, so I'm thinking Tyler gets the utility gig, if Gordon's butt were elsewhere.

I'm so ready to move on from GB, permanently. Just strikes me as the type of "devil you know " move that lacks creativity.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 09:30 PM)
It's a good thing too. Rodon looks awful according to game day. Pitches aren't even close. He's doing the Nuke Laloosh line two walks an HBP and then he gives up hits.

Yep, looks like his command has been terrible. Good news is his velocity is in the 93-95 mph range.

Seems he's still just working on fastball command.

He had Tomas down 0-2 and then hit him with a slider to load the bases, trying to get the K and overthrew it.

His fastball has mostly been around 95 MPH, he seems more interested in throwing hard/er to Goldschmidt and Tomas, IMO.

Only three three sliders 85-87, none of them were in the zone.

MLB had one curveball at 84, but it must have been a slurve or slower version of his sharp slider which is clocking in consistently at 86-87.

Seems he also needs to make some improvements on holding runners on, but those things will get fixed eventually. Nearly 25 pitch inning.

LABORIOUS would be the word for that one.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 03:31 PM)
Yep, looks like his command has been terrible. Good news is his velocity is in the 93-95 mph range.

He may be trying to overthrow this early in ST.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 03:33 PM)
Seems he's still just working on fastball command.

He had Tomas down 0-2 and then hit him with a slider to load the bases, trying to get the K and overthrew it.

His fastball has mostly been around 95 MPH, he seems more interested in throw hard to Goldschmidt and Tomas, IMO.

Only three three sliders 85-87, none of them were in the zone.

MLB had one curveball at 84, but it must have been a slurve or slower version of his sharp slider which is clocking in consistently at 86-87.

Yeah, he may be trying to overthrow everything this early on. Hopefully he doesn't hurt himself trying to impress everyone. He's probably trying to show everyone he belongs in Chicago.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
2-0 dbacks after 1st. Rodon era up to 8.44

Irrelevant. He seems like the kind of kid who's 100% motivated when the lights come on and things count, but, for now, he's mostly working on fastball control.

Roughly 85% of his pitches have been of that variety. His velocity's quite good for this early in the spring, the problem is he has no command and his mechanics/delivery just haven't been repeatable.

Of course you can't get away with that pitch mix....he needs more changes and sliders, but they're preserving his arm early in the spring from all appearances.