Indiana "religious freedom" law

southsider2k5

No. Jas is legally allowed to remove any post that is made here. Otherwise this would be filled with spammers, trolls, and the like to the point his business would be closed.

Do people pay to make posts? If not, then I don't think it holds quite the same meaning as refusing business from people.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)
One huge difference here is this is not a business. There is no product being sold to the general public. You aren't paying for posts here. A more apt question would be could he refuse advertising from gay based businesses.

How is it not a business? He sells advertising space. There are plenty of businesses that do not sell to the general public.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
This whole law is full of fail. This is going to do way more harm for the state's economy than you can imagine.

Such as? People not planning their vacations to Indiana?

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 01:34 PM)

And businesses not wanting to associate with Indiana.

If you bring 100+ people to the state for a convention there's a high likelihood one of them is gay. Restaurants in Indiana would have the right to turn them away for that reason. You want to push your employees like that? You want them to know that's the kind of environment you create on an everyday basis? Having a convention or opening an office in Indiana is a statement in support of legalized discrimination. Opening somewhere else isn't a statement on anything.

Doing business with the state of Indiana is now a statement in favor of discrimination.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)

http://time.com/3763622/connecticut-state-...us-freedom-law/

The state of Connecticut has banned state funded travel to Indiana. Seattle and San Francisco have banned city funded travel.

There are already some petitions etc wanting to move the Big10 championship from Indiana and Im expecting the NCAA (who has headquarters in Indiana) will receive some heat as well.

If you bring 100+ people to the state for a convention there's a high likelihood one of them is gay. Restaurants in Indiana would have the right to turn them away for that reason. You want to push your employees like that? You want them to know that's the kind of environment you create on an everyday basis? Having a convention or opening an office in Indiana is a statement in support of legalized discrimination. Opening somewhere else isn't a statement on anything.

Doing business with the state of Indiana is now a statement in favor of discrimination.

Either (a) the law doesn't actually allow that or (b) Pence has pledged that if the law does allow that, it will be altered so that it doesn't

Pence and the legislative leadership are claiming that they meant the scope to be much narrower, so we'll see what the final result is.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 07:08 PM)
Either (a) the law doesn't actually allow that or (b) Pence has pledged that if the law does allow that, it will be altered so that it doesn't

Pence and the legislative leadership are claiming that they meant the scope to be much narrower, so we'll see what the final result is.

Yeah, they "meant" it to be much narrower after the backlash. Pence had 3 strong anti-gay voices standing right behind him at the signing ceremony. Those guys weren't there at random.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)

Counterpoints for discussion.

What is the convention mecca in Indiana? Fort Wayne? Any convention is probably more local in nature. It will be more expensive to move it out of state and the folks attending are probably already in Indiana. I'm also going to believe the businesses that support this law will "proudly" announce it.

Is opening in Texas or Pennsylvania a statement of supporting capital punishment? Opening in Wyoming a statement about gun ownership? Was opening a business in Iowa a statement about same sex marriage? People open businesses in their home areas. Corporations open where there are customers. This will blow over and be forgotten in days or weeks.

If Indiana offered you a tenure track position you would have to consider it. It isn't that you support this law. A business could open up, place a sign that they do not discriminate and that anyone is welcome and be in business and protest the law at the same time. The loss of money is hyperbole and propaganda to overturn a really stupid law that I am embarrassed to see passed in the nation I live. More like 1815 and 2015.

What is the convention mecca in Indiana? Fort Wayne? Any convention is probably more local in nature. It will be more expensive to move it out of state and the folks attending are probably already in Indiana. I'm also going to believe the businesses that support this law will "proudly" announce it.

Is opening in Texas or Pennsylvania a statement of supporting capital punishment? Opening in Wyoming a statement about gun ownership? Was opening a business in Iowa a statement about same sex marriage? People open businesses in their home areas. Corporations open where there are customers. This will blow over and be forgotten in days or weeks.

If Indiana offered you a tenure track position you would have to consider it. It isn't that you support this law. A business could open up, place a sign that they do not discriminate and that anyone is welcome and be in business and protest the law at the same time. The loss of money is hyperbole and propaganda to overturn a really stupid law that I am embarrassed to see passed in the nation I live. More like 1815 and 2015.

Indianapolis does an awful lot of convention business. Central location within the country. Airport has non-stop flights to/from a lot of destinations but does not have the hassles/delays of the bigger airports. Hotel rates and taxes are a lot lower than bigger cities, but still enough variety in dining/entertainment options to keep people occupied for a few days.

When they tore down the RCA Dome and built Lucas Oil Stadium 10 years ago, the site of the old dome was turned into added space for the convention center.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)

?

Private businesses are allowed to discriminate for closely-held religious reasons under this law even if the government isn't involved. That's basically the heart of the law. Unless a group is specifically covered by other anti-discrimination legislation you're good. Gays in Indiana are not a protected group.

Pence has also talked out of both sides of his mouth and today said no changes were necessary.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)

I would say that the likelihood that a convention attendee or fan/player at the NCAA tournament is gay is much greater than the likelihood that they will have to face capital punishment in any state other than Texas. That makes it a heckuva lot more personal.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)

Gay has no legal protections as a class in Indiana, so no matter what their stated "intents" were, it would have absolutely allowed for it.

Also interesting to note that despite this being a "religious restoration", it also stripped out the ability for individual employees to sue for having their religious rights violated.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)

So, doing business with Indiana means you hate gays, but baking a cake for a gay wedding means nothing? Just as you are implying guilt by association, so are the bakers etc. who don't want to do business with gay weddings and be guilty of supporting it by association.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)
I was going to build/start this plant/business in Indiana but...

There are specific reasons why businesses start and stay in a certain area. Tax advantages, economic incentives, nearby customers, nearby suppliers, owners live nearby, etc. Rarely is there a business that can just open randomly anywhere. Businesses open to make money. People are investing their life's savings. Someone from Indiana isn't going to say I was going to open a business here in my hometown but now I will move to Kentucky instead. People don't make major investments based on forcing social change.

The issues that cause businesses to choose a location or not are ones that impact their bottom line. Social issues are not a major determent.