I have a bad feeling about this team...

shipps

Its seems like any year in the past that there were high expectations and a buzz around the Sox the season ultimately ended in disappointment. Whenever the overall view of the team is that they greatly improved on paper through FA or trades it just doesn't translate to wins and success. I really hope that this isn't just another one of those years.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
Its seems like any year in the past that there were high expectations and a buzz around the Sox the season ultimately ended in disappointment. Whenever the overall view of the team is that they greatly improved on paper through FA or trades it just doesn't translate to wins and success. I really hope that this isn't just another one of those years.

Every team has question marks. Sox stay healthy, get a little luck, and their young guys and bullpen do above average, this team can go pretty deep in my opinion.

Look at the Angels, they have the best player in the game. They've gone to the post season 3 straight seasons with him, and haven't won a game.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)

I'm a bit ashamed to say I feel this way, too.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
Every team has question marks. Sox stay healthy, get a little luck, and their young guys and bullpen do above average, this team can go pretty deep in my opinion.

Look at the Angels, they have the best player in the game. They've gone to the post season 3 straight seasons with him, and haven't won a game.

I mean other than LAA only making the playoffs in one of those seasons, all true. ;)

Just remember that expectations actually have nothing to do with what is going to happen on the field. I think it's fair to be skeptical -- this team is far from bulletproof -- but don't fear the optimism, because any correlation it has ever had with results is purely coincidence.

Edited by Eminor3rd

I can see it now! Samardzija is gonna suck. Sale will probably be injury plagued. Abreu will have like 10 HR's by September. Cabrera will be suspended. Eaton will be stuck on a wall somewhere. Alexei will get traded for some dope. Micah wont be God. Robertson will be demoted to set-up man then long relief. Penny will be in the rotation. Bryant will be MVP. Cubs in playoffs. fathom will have permanent diarrhea. Dick Allen will find no use for being argumentative any longer. kyyle will transition to a woman... etc. etc..

I feel the exact opposite. This is the first time in a long time I have felt the Sox actually have a legitimate playoff team. And if they make the playoffs, they are built for a very deep run.

I was doing some fact checking on winning teams and found this interesting tidbit: at the end of the season and the playoffs and World Series only one team out of thirty ends up winning it all. Begs the question "in the end how do you judge success?"

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
I was doing some fact checking on winning teams and found this interesting tidbit: at the end of the season and the playoffs and World Series only one team out of thirty ends up winning it all. Begs the question "in the end how do you judge success?"

Repeated postseason appearances, not just every once in awhile

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)
I can see it now! Samardzija is gonna suck. Sale will probably be injury plagued. Abreu will have like 10 HR's by September. Cabrera will be suspended. Eaton will be stuck on a wall somewhere. Alexei will get traded for some dope. Micah wont be God. Robertson will be demoted to set-up man then long relief. Penny will be in the rotation. Bryant will be MVP. Cubs in playoffs. fathom will have permanent diarrhea. Dick Allen will find no use for being argumentative any longer. kyyle will transition to a woman... etc. etc..

Well that's taking things a bit extreme.

I'm a little more nervous about the team heading into the season as usual, but I think that's cause I have higher expectations for the team than most years. I definitely feel like this is a huge year for the franchise in terms of bringing back some of the fan base that they lost, and that a slow start/mediocre season would really hurt.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 05:12 PM)
Of all of what you mentioned, Robertson/Duke being horrible is what scares me most. It would be just so obvious and terrifying for long term.

If Duke struggles, I would suggest the Sox never sign someone to a 3 year, 15 million dollar contract again

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
I'm a little more nervous about the team heading into the season as usual, but I think that's cause I have higher expectations for the team than most years. I definitely feel like this is a huge year for the franchise in terms of bringing back some of the fan base that they lost, and that a slow start/mediocre season would really hurt.

If they don't finish above .500 this year, that would be a catastrophic disaster for the organization

I think the Sox can finish anywhere from 1st to 4th place in the AL Central. While I don't have a "bad" feeling about this team I don't have a great feeling either. I think for the Sox to make the playoffs the following needs to happen.

1. No big injuries to key players (Sale, Abreau)

2. Samardzija has to have a good year - he tends to have a real good 1st half and then a less than stellar 2nd half.

3. Bullpen needs to be much better - just stating the obvious there.

4. Bottom part of the line up needs to produce, can't just be top heavy.

Right now I still have the Sox 3rd in the division behind Detroit and Cleveland, I think KC takes a big step back this year.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)

I knew I hated you for a reason.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)

If at the end of the season I look back and say to myself...damn that season sucked and didn't turn out how we thought it might then it wasn't a success. A win total or a playoff run doesnt have to define the success. I think they can have a successful season and not even make the playoffs to be honest. Be in the race until the end and just came up short but at the very least play hard, stay healthy, and have guys perform close to their projected numbers...with some development of young players along the way.