I have a bad feeling about this team...

shipps

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
Flowers, Beckham and Danks are the punching bags. Flowers and Beckham can go 3 for 4 and the game if lost will come back to the time they made an out.

AKA the worst players on our team that aren't making league minimum. What is strange about that?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 08:26 AM)
Man, I'm pulling so hard for Beckham to do well.

Like my god, the vitriol is insane. If he had never played with the org before we'd be hailing this as a good signing for a bench player.

I'd be completely cool with the signing if we didn't already have Bonifacio, it just doesn't make sense to me.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)
AKA the worst players on our team that aren't making league minimum. What is strange about that?

Ha exactly.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 08:34 AM)
I'd be completely cool with the signing if we didn't already have Bonifacio, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Ha exactly.

I honestly think Bonifacio was signed to be the backup OF until Shuck was able to tear up Spring Training. And they only played Shuck in the corner OF spots.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 08:26 AM)
Man, I'm pulling so hard for Beckham to do well.

Like my god, the vitriol is insane. If he had never played with the org before we'd be hailing this as a good signing for a bench player.

I'm a little bit bored of hearing this reasoning. You're right - if it was John Doe everything would be fine. But Sox fans don't know who John Doe is, while unfortunately, we have a lot of context and extra experience with Gordon Beckham that is absolutely 100% relevant. We've watched him play badly for half a decade, we've heard him proclaim a new attitude every season only for the same old patterns to repeat themsleves, and we're tired of it.

I have a right to be frustrated about Gordon Beckham being on this team and I'm gonna exercise it.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)

2 of them make about 50% of average, and one of them that makes a lot had an injury. What's wrong is even when they do well, it is basically totally ignored, and if others do just as poorly, that is ignored no matter what they make.

Why are you so worried about what they make?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
I honestly think Bonifacio was signed to be the backup OF until Shuck was able to tear up Spring Training. And they only played Shuck in the corner OF spots.

They did throw him in CF a couple of innings yesterday. I would imagine he is still behind Bonifacio, but maybe not that much.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
I'm a little bit bored of hearing this reasoning. You're right - if it was John Doe everything would be fine. But Sox fans don't know who John Doe is, while unfortunately, we have a lot of context and extra experience with Gordon Beckham that is absolutely 100% relevant. We've watched him play badly for half a decade, we've heard him proclaim a new attitude every season only for the same old patterns to repeat themsleves, and we're tired of it.

I have a right to be frustrated about Gordon Beckham being on this team and I'm gonna exercise it.

I mean in the way that we have built up ears of frustration with Gordon as a starter. He is no longer that.

He's the end of the bench bench player. You don't exactly get high quality production out of there, you can expect serviceable at best. He'll get cut if he's bad.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 07:42 AM)
2 of them make about 50% of average, and one of them that makes a lot had an injury. What's wrong is even when they do well, it is basically totally ignored, and if others do just as poorly, that is ignored no matter what they make.

Why are you so worried about what they make?

The point is that the s***tiest, most overpaid players on a team are ALWAYS the "whipping boys." This isn't some massive conspiracy to slander the Beckham family name. He didn't kill any of our dogs nor steal any of our girlfriends. People just hate the bad players, man, it's normal. Let's give it a rest.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
The point is that the s***tiest, most overpaid players on a team are ALWAYS the "whipping boys." This isn't some massive conspiracy to slander the Beckham family name. He didn't kill any of our dogs nor steal any of our girlfriends. People just hate the bad players, man, it's normal. Let's give it a rest.

Funny, those aren't the 3 worst guys on the team. And the point I made was people praise s***ty players. Look at Bonifacio. He makes almost as much as Flowers and Beckham combined, and he is a pretty s***ty player, yet gets praised, and we get the "if he is used properly" crap. I would love to see someome in this board "use" a guy "properly" and only have him face pitching from one side.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 05:18 PM)
Funny, those aren't the 3 worst guys on the team. And the point I made was people praise s***ty players. Look at Bonifacio. He makes almost as much as Flowers and Beckham combined, and he is a pretty s***ty player, yet gets praised, and we get the "if he is used properly" crap. I would love to see someome in this board "use" a guy "properly" and only have him face pitching from one side.

dang it, i hate coming in when a great discussion is going on, it make me feel as i am cherry picking the issue.

re Bonifacio, i am a fan and i wanted him on this team. b/c of the many positions he can play. he is or will be a great utility player with a special niche he can hit in certain situations. which the chance of Eaton, getting hurt, Avi, if he can play a whole season without getting hurt and help out in the infield, i see him in that role. he will not hurt that much, and can provide a useful backup.

now define backup, simply stated, a backup is not a full time player but someone who can provide a decent substitute for a players to provide rest or to take over if injured.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 04:18 PM)

I think you are exactly right. Bonifacio and Beckham add versatility and we need both to win this thing. People want to hate of certain players and give passes to others but this is a 25 player team and they plus the coaching staff are all going to be trying to do their best. No one intentionally does poorly. I will defer to the wisdom of Hahn and Williams in the make up of the Sox team. I woud just like to see folks pulling for all players on our team and not going off on tirades because of a K, a GIDP, an error, etc. If you feel the need to rant then let's take it out on the Internal Revenue Service. After all Everybody hates the IRS. :gosoxretro: :)

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 05:52 PM)
I think you are exactly right. Bonifacio and Beckham add versatility and we need both to win this thing. People want to hate of certain players and give passes to others but this is a 25 player team and they plus the coaching staff are all going to be trying to do their best. No one intentionally does poorly. I will defer to the wisdom of Hahn and Williams in the make up of the Sox team. I woud just like to see folks pulling for all players on our team and not going off on tirades because of a K, a GIDP, an error, etc. If you feel the need to rant then let's take it out on the Internal Revenue Service. After all Everybody hates the IRS. :gosoxretro: :)

nicely done, a nice substitute to hate on.

but with ref to hating, i can rant on certain things related to this team, but when the season starts, time to pull for the sox.

i hope i do not regress. but i want to make the freaking playoff.

How did you feel about this team 10 years ago?

Bolds- new to the Sox

Podsednik, Iguchi, Everett, Konerko, Dye, Rowand, Pierzynski, Crede, Uribe

Gload, Harris, Perez, Ozuna, Widger

Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Hernandez, Garland

Politte, Cotts, Vizcaino, Marte, Hermanson, Takatsu

DL- Thomas

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)

Bolds- new to the Sox

DL- Thomas

Cautiously optimistic but not a feeling like KW hit homeruns on multiple off season moves like this year. I remember thinking he did an okay job of adding some pieces but didnt have grand expectations in the least bit.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)

You can't seriously believe that "if used properly" means that a guy LITERALLY has zero at bats against the platoon split.

bonifaciotalk.com

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 10:10 AM)

Bolds- new to the Sox

DL- Thomas

GREAT POINT!

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 02:06 AM)
If history repeats itself - LaRoche will have a slow start. That said, he'll at least be a 6 week whipping boy. I've got higher hopes for him thou and was a big fan of this move.

What are you talking about?

LaRoche in 2014:

March/April - .312, .413, .495

May - .341, .417, .585

If that's a slow start, I think we'll all take it!

QUOTE (VAfan @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)
What are you talking about?

LaRoche in 2014:

March/April - .312, .413, .495

May - .341, .417, .585

If that's a slow start, I think we'll all take it!

Career-long, LaRoche has a reputation as a slow starter and his OPS in April is by far the lowest of any month. He certainly bucked the trend last year though.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)

Bolds- new to the Sox

DL- Thomas

I doubt ANYONE saw the amazing run of 2005 coming before it started.

- Wire to Wire

- Best record in baseball

- Had the lead in something like the first 35-40 games of the year. (Have to look up the number.)

- Won first game of year 1-0, first game after ASB 1-0, and last game of WS 1-0.

- Ended season through playoffs with two 8 game winning streaks sandwiched around a 3-2 loss that would have been a tie had Contreras gone home with a comebacker early instead of trying for a DP that didn't work.

- 4 straight complete game wins against the Angels in the ALCS.

- Dustin Hermanson as closer early. Bobby Jenks getting picked up for nothing to be the closer late.

- Podsednik with 0 HR in the regular season, but 2 in the postseason, including a walk-off one against Brad Lidge.

- The freak plays that really helped the Sox in the postseason -- Dropped third strike to Pierzynski, and phantom HBP against Jermaine Dye.

- Iguchi 3-run homer against Wells that brought the Sox all the way back out of a 4-0 hole.

- El Duque's masterful bases loaded no out relief job at Fenway to help sweep out the defending World Champ BoSox, and lead the ChiSox to their first playoff series win since ... 1917!

- Don't stop believin theme song.

I could go on and on about that year. When it was over, I wrote a 17-page remembrance to the season so I wouldn't lose those memories.

Edited by VAfan

This board was very optimistic in 05, people were really tired of the "underachieving" sox teams with the mashers of lee/ordonez/thomas, even though their main problem was pitching.

I don't think anyone thought WS, but that was not something I thought was possible before 05.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 07:07 PM)
I doubt ANYONE saw the amazing run of 2005 coming before it started.

- Wire to Wire

- Best record in baseball

- Had the lead in something like the first 35-40 games of the year. (Have to look up the number.)

- Won first game of year 1-0, first game after ASB 1-0, and last game of WS 1-0.

- Ended season through playoffs with two 8 game winning streaks sandwiched around a 3-2 loss that would have been a tie had Contreras gone home with a comebacker early instead of trying for a DP that didn't work.

- 4 straight complete game wins against the Angels in the ALCS.

- Dustin Hermanson as closer early. Bobby Jenks getting picked up for nothing to be the closer late.

- Podsednik with 0 HR in the regular season, but 2 in the postseason, including a walk-off one against Brad Lidge.

- The freak plays that really helped the Sox in the postseason -- Dropped third strike to Pierzynski, and phantom HBP against Jermaine Dye.

- Iguchi 3-run homer against Wells that brought the Sox all the way back out of a 4-0 hole.

- El Duque's masterful bases loaded no out relief job at Fenway to help sweep out the defending World Champ BoSox, and lead the ChiSox to their first playoff series win since ... 1917!

- Don't stop believin theme song.

I could go on and on about that year. When it was over, I wrote a 17-page remembrance to the season so I wouldn't lose those memories.

nice job....... thanks.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)

Why waste your time. They are bad, we all know that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 02:49 PM)
Why waste your time. They are bad, we all know that.

It's because we are all jealous that he snagged his comely wife based solely on his Golden Spikes award at UGA, first round signing bonus, 2009, comparisons to DIRK Jeter and his walk-up music.

Basically.