Graduate School

pettie4sox

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 07:06 AM)
I got into a Ph.D program with s***ty test scores. I am ready to spend the next 5-6 years of my life in absolute poverty.

:headbang

way to go..... hope and wish the best.... i love the bold. what are you majoring.

nice dog in your sig. funny.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 05:18 AM)
way to go..... hope and wish the best.... i love the bold. what are you majoring.

nice dog in your sig. funny.

Medicinal Chemistry so all of you fogies will be taking drugs I make soon. ;)

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 02:06 AM)
I got into a Ph.D program with s***ty test scores. I am ready to spend the next 5-6 years of my life in absolute poverty.

Excellent to hear!! Congratulations!

Welcome to the club!

:cheers

(this is the best beer will will be able to afford for awhile)

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
Maybe my work experience, letters of recommendation, and essays were more important to them.

Who knows.

Yes, as we discussed, they all look for different things so it all worked out in the end.Tthat's why you accentuate the positives of the applicant, of which you obviously had plenty.

Enjoy the experience, before they actually make you go work in the real world again!

Well, as you've learned, grad programs in most fields tend not to care much about things like test scores as long as they aren't alarmingly bad. There are better indicators of whether you'll be successful, like those other things you mentioned.

Anyway, welcome to the club! Also, just get a bunch of credit cards and you don't have to be poor. /green

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 10:44 PM)
Well, as you've learned, grad programs in most fields tend not to care much about things like test scores as long as they aren't alarmingly bad. There are better indicators of whether you'll be successful, like those other things you mentioned.

Anyway, welcome to the club! Also, just get a bunch of credit cards and you don't have to be poor. /green

Professional schools are somewhat different from Ph.D programs, but for law school an applicant's LSAT score is the most important factor. Not sure about med school.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 01:57 AM)
Professional schools are somewhat different from Ph.D programs, but for law school an applicant's LSAT score is the most important factor. Not sure about med school.

Yeah, my impression is that test scores are rather important for law school in particular and to a lesser extent, med school. Of course, as you climb the ladder of reputation, the differentiating factors get blurrier.

• 1 year later...
QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 19, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)
Good for you dude, I didnt even last a year in a PHD program.

What did you study?

For me I just need to take a break, work for like a year, pay some bills, and get back into the fray. I can't really make ends meet with the salary they pay.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 02:06 AM)

Congrats. I am expecting my acceptance soon. Whether or not to accept is still up in the air. Do you have your masters? Does the program allow you to earn a masters along the way?

QUOTE (Tex @ May 19, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
Congrats. I am expecting my acceptance soon. Whether or not to accept is still up in the air. Do you have your masters? Does the program allow you to earn a masters along the way?

You can master's out but I just completed my first year. I just wanted to pound away some debts and save some money before coming back. I took a huge paycut coming back to school (obviously) and I don't think I was prepared for it. I absolutely want to finish my degree but I also can't focus if I'm worried about how I am going to pay for s***.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 19, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
You can master's out but I just completed my first year. I just wanted to pound away some debts and save some money before coming back. I took a huge paycut coming back to school (obviously) and I don't think I was prepared for it. I absolutely want to finish my degree but I also can't focus if I'm worried about how I am going to pay for s***.

The rules vary by school and program. Our school allows for a leave of absence, but I am not familiar with the particulars. Of course, the vast majority of people that leave school don't ever return to complete the degree. It's really hard to get back into it. How many years is your program?

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 19, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)

That is the biggest barrier for most people. FlaSoxxJim once mentioned that if his PhD program allowed him to master's out he would have. They didn't, so he stuck it out and was happy he did.