GAME THREAD 4/10, MIN @ SOX

cabiness42

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 07:21 PM)
Roster decisions, pitching hooks, ect can all be debated, and Robin probably won't win a lot of those debates. That's totally fair.

I just have a hard time listening to people complain about the team not being ready because of Robin. It's too easy. The players deserve that, it's why they get paid. To preform. If they don't, that's on them.

I would have agreed with you until I watched the 2011-2014 Chicago White Sox. I saw 3 teams that were complacent, happy, and not worked hard in spring training and I saw 3 teams that disappointed and were uncompetitive. I also saw one team that came out firing on all cylinders from day 1, with some of the best fundamentals I've ever seen from a ballclub, and that team was only kept from a division title by the fact that their kids and veterans broke down from exhaustion at the end of the year. Most of the same players from 2011 fixed problems in 2012 and then the same players from 2012 fell apart in 2013 and looked like a clown show.

Maybe the one who set the standard too high is Robin Ventura 2012, but this is the 3rd year in a row I've looked at the team starting out week 1 and said "What the hell did we do different in 2012 and why aren't we doing that again?"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
I would have agreed with you until I watched the 2011-2014 Chicago White Sox. I saw 3 teams that were complacent, happy, and not worked hard in spring training and I saw 3 teams that disappointed and were uncompetitive. I also saw one team that came out firing on all cylinders from day 1, with some of the best fundamentals I've ever seen from a ballclub, and that team was only kept from a division title by the fact that their kids and veterans broke down from exhaustion at the end of the year. Most of the same players from 2011 fixed problems in 2012 and then the same players from 2012 fell apart in 2013 and looked like a clown show.

Maybe the one who set the standard too high is Robin Ventura 2012, but this is the 3rd year in a row I've looked at the team starting out week 1 and said "What the hell did we do different in 2012 and why aren't we doing that again?"

Fool me 3 times shame on you. Fool me 4 times shame on me. Can't get fooled again, not after investing so much into the team. If the team is 10 under in July, you sure as s*** better bring the hammer down on Robin.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 06:26 PM)

After 4 games

2012. 2-2

2013. 2-2

2014. 2-2

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 07:13 PM)
Fire robin I have seen this same bad baseball over 3 different rosters he is clueless and way way way too relaxed. Club plays lifeless and sloppy game after game.

I agree that Robin looks like he is sailing along on a cruise ship. But the dugout shot of Coop laughing his ass off beginning the 9th tells me the pressure this staff is under. If I was Hahn I would fire that lard ass and shake things up.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 06:57 PM)
The Cubs are always great at falling for over hyped experienced managers.

Without digging up the Cubs too much, I'd rather have their timely hitting problem. The White Sox have been downright embarrassing.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 07:24 PM)
Without digging up the Cubs too much, I'd rather have their timely hitting problem. The White Sox have been downright embarrassing.

Yup. It's one thing to screw up your chances. You just know that's somewhat related to bad luck and can't keep happening just based off of probability. But when you never get any rallies started, it's like you never even had a real chance.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 07:43 PM)
The Cubs have scored 3 runs in 3 games with the great Joe Maddon. They should fire him.

Out of the Cubs and White Sox, which do you think is in setup where it is most important that they win this season? If both teams win 70 games this season, which is it worse for?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 07:56 PM)
Out of the Cubs and White Sox, which do you think is in setup where it is most important that they win this season? If both teams win 70 games this season, which is it worse for?

Great point, though our core is still pretty young.

What a absolutely terrible game to be at. Had awesome seats and literally saw no action the entire game.

I'm not one to overreact to a bad couple games, but this team desperately needs to get its act together soon. They're digging themselves a hole that's going to be tough to get out of.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 07:56 PM)
Pitching matchup heavily favors us tomorrow, and then it's Sale on Sunday. Win the next two and get some momentum going into the next series. At this point, 2-4 wouldn't look terrible.

2-4 is a must at this point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 07:56 PM)

I'm not sure. A lot of unproven pieces on both teams.

Abreu is likely superior to anyone on the Cubs (Rizzo in 2014 was quite good, but not Abreu good).

Castro is a bit better than Alexei. Third is a blunder for both at the moment.

The pitching for the Sox is better on paper.

Fowler and Eaton are similar, edge Fowler.

Intersted to see how Kris Bryant plays. He looks really special.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 08:41 PM)
I'm not sure. A lot of unproven pieces on both teams.

Abreu is likely superior to anyone on the Cubs (Rizzo in 2014 was quite good, but not Abreu good).

Castro is a bit better than Alexei. Third is a blunder for both at the moment.

The pitching for the Sox is better on paper.

Fowler and Eaton are similar, edge Fowler.

Intersted to see how Kris Bryant plays. He looks really special.

Doubtful.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2015 -> 12:16 AM)
Better than that, as Eaton was sliding the catcher's mitt was right in front of him so he literally grabbed the catcher's mitt and pulled it off.

It was kind of cool how badly he wanted to score, I'll give Adam that. I'm just furious, simply insane he tried to score down six runs. Geezus. Truly I think he should be fined a few bucks for that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2015 -> 12:19 AM)
Well LaRoche shouldn't have been in the lineup against a lefty today but that's a different matter.

I've seen enough to agree with Balta. LaRoche can't play against lefties. So who is our other DH when he sits? Viciedo would be a good platoon partner though he did whiff a lot.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 11, 2015 -> 02:01 AM)
What a absolutely terrible game to be at. Had awesome seats and literally saw no action the entire game.

I'm not one to overreact to a bad couple games, but this team desperately needs to get its act together soon. They're digging themselves a hole that's going to be tough to get out of.

I feel your pain. Had to be a helluva traffic jam too to watch that crap. I mean Sox are going to have to play good baseball to ever beat KC, Det or Cleveland, good teams all. Play this kinda baseball and we seriously might lose 90-95 games.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 06:26 PM)

I endorse this.