Ventura on his job status

southsider2k5

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 06:28 PM)
The effect a manager has on the game is overstated so much in Chicago.

The South Side thinks the team isn't a playoff team because of Ventura, the North Side thinks their team is a championship contender based on Maddon. Both assumptions are equally dubious.

Or to give an example: John Farrell

Manager Toronto 2011 81-81

2012 73-89

Boston 2013 97-65 World Series Champs

2014 71-91 with almost the same lineup to start as he did in 13.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
Sorry if it was posted, how many years left does robin have on his contract? IMO, the sox will never fire him but I could see them not renewing his contract when it's up

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
IIRC we were never told. We knew he originally had a 3 year deal but then we were told after year 2 he signed a "contract extension" but the length was never given.

Not even Baseball Prospectus knows the end date and they usually have access to hard to find contract info.

Edited by OnlyGillis

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
They argued in the dugout and had to be seperated. It wasnt something that happened often, I can only recall the one time. Pretty sure Bo had to stop Frank from destroying Robin

Robin would have politely inserted his head into Frank's headlock as he did for Nolan Ryan.

QUOTE (joegraz @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 09:24 AM)
Robin would have politely inserted his head into Frank's headlock as he did for Nolan Ryan.

In a brawl, I am taking Nolan Ryan every time... even at 70 years old, or whatever he is today. Heck the dude probably could still throw harder than Mark Buehrle.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)
In a brawl, I am taking Nolan Ryan every time... even at 70 years old, or whatever he is today. Heck the dude probably could still throw harder than Mark Buehrle.

you have to understand one thing, Nolan Ryan is a cowboy in the offseason. he would wrestles those dang cows, b/c he had a working ranch and they needed to be branded and check for all sorts of veterinary test. a cowboy who is not strong and rugged will not be able to do that.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 10:01 AM)
you have to understand one thing, Nolan Ryan is a cowboy in the offseason. he would wrestles those dang cows, b/c he had a working ranch and they needed to be branded and check for all sorts of veterinary test. a cowboy who is not strong and rugged will not be able to do that.

Not just cows, long horned steer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)

Why did you have to bring Buehrle still into this? He's 2-0 and still excelling and still can rear back and throw a fastball when needed. You could have picked plenty of Sox pitchers and not the great Mark to bring into this discussion of Robin getting owned by Nolan Ryan.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
Why did you have to bring Buehrle still into this? He's 2-0 and still excelling and still can rear back and throw a fastball when needed. You could have picked plenty of Sox pitchers and not the great Mark to bring into this discussion of Robin getting owned by Nolan Ryan.

When it comes to slow pitching speeds, Mark Buehrle is always the first pitcher I think of today.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 03:31 PM)
yeah with that visual, can you imagine RV being any kind of a physical threat.

And as Robin told the story in the past, he got about half way out there and realized he made a really big mistake.... but by then it was too late.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 07:57 PM)
When it comes to slow pitching speeds, Mark Buehrle is always the first pitcher I think of today.

He's still the same Buehrle. He can throw a fastball by a guy or catch a guy looking when he needs to. I just find it odd you'd single out him in such an analogy when he's still in the top 1/4 of pitchers in the league.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
He's still the same Buehrle. He can throw a fastball by a guy or catch a guy looking when he needs to. I just find it odd you'd single out him in such an analogy when he's still in the top 1/4 of pitchers in the league.

I don't think it was an insult. More a compliment of the man's resourcefulness.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)

If you found it odd, then you didn't pay attention to the comparison.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)

If you were trying to compliment Nolan Ryan, wouldn't you compare him to a pitcher you thought was good?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 08:40 PM)
And as Robin told the story in the past, he got about half way out there and realized he made a really big mistake.... but by then it was too late.

that is a great story, many thanks for remembering and posting it. :cheers

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 07:19 PM)
Too bad he can't be like LaRussa or Maddon who got to .500 after 5 years. Bobby Cox took 11 years. Joe Torre took 16,

Well it's good to know the Cito Gaston as Sox manager finally died out. His name was thrown around before Ozzie took over. Interesting he never got a manager job again.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 10:37 PM)
I still fancy Nolan Ryan as one of the most incredible baseball players to ever play the game. Everyone should baseball reference him when they get a chance.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/ryanno01.shtml

Dude was my first "favorite" player growing up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 07:07 AM)
Dude was my first "favorite" player growing up.

The only time I ever lowered my standards and went to Wrigley urinal was to watch him pitch.

when I got home, my uncle found out about it, poured charcoal fluid on my shoes and lit them on fire.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 08:26 AM)
The only time I ever lowered my standards and went to Wrigley urinal was to watch him pitch.

when I got home, my uncle found out about it, poured charcoal fluid on my shoes and lit them on fire.

Your uncle sounds like a very stable human.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)
Your uncle sounds like a very stable human.

Only when it comes to the Sox vs. Cubs. He takes it very seriously.

He is 80 now and you still don't call or visit him when they play each other, unless you want to get hit by objects he is throwing at his TV.

Edited by ptatc