4/14 - White sox vs Indians

flavum

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
The lack of walks is, to me, a sure sign that guys are pressing, not being patient. Eaton and Melky will have to rebound before this looks better.

It is a little disturbing to me how little we know about Eaton. the contract is fine but his propensity to hit his way on foremost (plus injury history) is a little worrisome. Well, currently....only slight amounts of worrisome.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
Day game tomorrow. Just giving him playing time.

So? Had an off day yesterday and another on Thursday. I get he needs playing time but why didn't he play when we faced Milone?

Not saying he shouldn't start but I would rather see Johnson. Oh well.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
Let's start a winning streak and take it to Detroit. This is a break out game for Abreu (2HRs 5 RBIs and 4 hits).

Just a little tidbit about Avi: his updated ZIPS is now for over 1.1 WAR and he's already been worth .2 fWAR in 6 games. Most of that is baserunning and hitting but some of it his defense just being "bad" instead of "brutal".

Keep it up kid. I love me some Avi hope he starts on the South Site for the next 5+ years.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
He is, but didn't play against Milone or Duffy. Don't get me started.

Sometimes I wonder WTH is with the relationship between the manager and FO of this club. It's like, they spent good money on Bonifacio and he's a valuable tool used correctly -- has anyone mentioned it to Robin?

If Bonifacio can only or should only play against LHP, approximately 80% of pitchers are RH, so he should start, if used properly by the experts here, 32 or 33 games a season.

If being used properly means you can only bat against 1 or 2 or 3 pitchers on a staff, what a waste of $4 million.

Edited by Dick Allen

Part of me's trying to not to make a big deal out of this Bonifacio thing, but part of me is just really annoyed.

To paraphrase terms I used a few days ago, it's not an incredibly important mistake, but it is an incredibly obvious one.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 01:50 PM)
Part of me's trying to not to make a big deal out of this Bonifacio thing, but part of me is just really annoyed.

To paraphrase terms I used a few days ago, it's not an incredibly important mistake, but it is an incredibly obvious one.

The other thing is there may be something that we don't know. Maybe Micah is sick or slightly injured. I know several times over the years managers have been ripped for not using pitchers or players, and then finding out those players weren't really available.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)
Sometimes I wonder WTH is with the relationship between the manager and FO of this club. It's like, they spent good money on Bonifacio and he's a valuable tool used correctly -- has anyone mentioned it to Robin?

Since you posted this:

what a luxury having a guy like Bonafacio is. Can play almost every position and hits well enough to where if you had to plug him in for a month it wouldn't be a complete black hole in the lineup. Seriously the difference between him and the guys they trotted out last year (Leury mostly) is probably 2 WAR. Can't say enough what an amazing job Hahn did fixing pretty much every weakness, including bench utility guy.

This post has been edited by chitownsportsfan: Mar 13, 2015 -> 03:33 PM

have you changed your mind? Now you don't think he should play against 80% of MLB pitching.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
If Bonifacio can only or should only play against LHP, approximately 80% of pitchers are RH, so he should start, if used properly by the experts here, 32 or 33 games a season.

If being used properly means you can only bat against 1 or 2 or 3 pitchers on a staff, what a waste of $4 million.

You're right that Bonifacio will need to start against RHP from time to time, but those starts should come when we have long stretches of games with limited off-days and need to give Micah a rest. Starting him against a RHP when we have a stretch of two games in four days is completely stupid for lots of reasons. Unfortunately, Robin didn't start him against the two lefties we already faced, because if he did he probably wouldn't feel compelled to give him a token start today.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
Since you posted this:

what a luxury having a guy like Bonafacio is. Can play almost every position and hits well enough to where if you had to plug him in for a month it wouldn't be a complete black hole in the lineup. Seriously the difference between him and the guys they trotted out last year (Leury mostly) is probably 2 WAR. Can't say enough what an amazing job Hahn did fixing pretty much every weakness, including bench utility guy.

This post has been edited by chitownsportsfan: Mar 13, 2015 -> 03:33 PM

have you changed your mind? Now you don't think he should play against 80% of MLB pitching.

His value is in giving every day guys a day off all over the diamond. In fact, I probably would have started him today in CF. Given Adam another day to clear his head. Clearly Ventura doesn't know how to use him and yea, it's frustrating.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
You're right that Bonifacio will need to start against RHP from time to time, but those starts should come when we have long stretches of games with limited off-days and need to give Micah a rest. Starting him against a RHP when we have a stretch of two games in four days is completely stupid for lots of reasons. Unfortunately, Robin didn't start him against the two lefties we already faced, because if he did he probably wouldn't feel compelled to give him a token start today.

Pretty much sums it up. Now if we find out that something is nagging Micah to the point that he can't go, we can all do a big mea culpa. But for now, it just seems silly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)

Do not forget situational late game PH ABs and situational postseason PH ABs

And 3M this year, factoring in the positional flexibility-- is fine. The extra 1M is just the 2016 fully guaranteed portion. When you have rookies and question marks in the IF, your best bench IF is a real role.

Edited by Jose Paniagua