4/17 - White Sox vs Tigers

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't even seen the angle where it's clear that Alexei tagged him and I thought he whiffed originally but I'm still waiting on the self proclaimed voice of reason to tell us why there is any harm in challenging there.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)
I haven't even seen the angle where it's clear that Alexei tagged him and I thought he whiffed originally but I'm still waiting on the self proclaimed voice of reason to tell us why there is any harm in challenging there.

The video guys told him he missed the tag. That is why.

Why not challege a random play in the 3rd innimg if it leads to scoring?

I don't understand when someome is told by people looking at the replay, actually getting paid for it, that the tag was missed, why even though you haven't seen the replay, you are an idiot for not blowing them off.

I doubt anyone holds themselves to this standard. But just remember if anything ever goes wrong because you were given bad information, you are a stooge. It is all yoir fault, and unacceptable.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 05:31 PM)

I don't understand when someome is told by people looking at the replay, actually getting paid for it, that the tag was missed, why even though you haven't seen the replay, you are an idiot for not blowing them off.

I doubt anyone holds themselves to this standard. But just remember if anything ever goes wrong because you were given bad information, you are a stooge. It is all yoir fault, and unacceptable.

Oh you are so full of s***, DA.

Any close play on the go-ahead run in the 9th needs to be challenged. Especially when your player is telling you he made the tag.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)
Oh you are so full of s***, DA.

Any close play on the go-ahead run in the 9th needs to be challenged. Especially when your player is telling you he made the tag.

So if you didn't see the replay and the guys looking at the reply said he missed the tag, you are going to challenge.

Sure.

The fact is Robin was a victim of apparently bad information. If the replay guys had the angle we saw him make the tag, they need to be replaced. If they had what appears to be the rest of the Sox feed as both radio and TV said he missed, then it would be understandable. What I don't understand is why the Sox replay guys wouldn't have all the angles that are officially used.

As for Alexei, he campaigned for several replays last season that didn't quite go as he thiught. And make a f***ing tag.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 08:40 PM)
So if you didn't see the replay and the guys looking at the reply said he missed the tag, you are going to challenge.

Sure.

The fact is Robin was a victim of apparently bad information. If the replay guys had the angle we saw him make the tag, they need to be replaced. If they had what appears to be the rest of the Sox feed as both radio and TV said he missed, then it would be understandable. What I don't understand is why the Sox replay guys wouldn't have all the angles that are officially used.

As for Alexei, he campaigned for several replays last season that didn't quite go as he thiught. And make a f***ing tag.

I also wonder why the White Sox video crew did not have the definitive video. Same case arose during the NCAA Tourney where the refs did not have the same video feed on a controversial out of bounds call that the TV was showing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 07:40 PM)

Sure.

I'm going out and challenging no matter what because you have nothing to lose with the possible winning run in 2nd th no outs. Why did Robin need someone's approval on it? Just go challenge it!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 08:40 PM)

Sure.

He did make the f***ing tag. By "Make the f***ing tag" you seemingly refer to "touching the person approaching the base with the ball". Alexei Ramirez did that.

The important point of course is that Robin Ventura's mistakes are everyone's fault except Robin Ventura's.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
He did make the f***ing tag. By "Make the f***ing tag" you seemingly refer to "touching the person approaching the base with the ball". Alexei Ramirez did that.

The important point of course is that Robin Ventura's mistakes are everyone's fault except Robin Ventura's.

A little more definitive. It took about 8 angles to finally found one where he barely touched him. In fact you didn't even think he tagged him for several minutes, and that was after reviewing replays. But ignore it, and then it didn't happen.

But 1 run and 4 hits. You don't win many games scoring 1 run.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 06:02 PM)
No team plays back with the winning run on third and less than 2 out.

You're telling me with 1st and 3rd or bases loaded (two consecutive intentional walks) and you're playing for a DP they're not going to be 2-3 steps further back at least? Why? You don't absolutely have to cut down the winning run at home plate...why do 90-95% of managers put those runners on as well (unless his pitcher is having control issues)?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 05:20 PM)
If he challenged and lost, then the Sox lost on another bad call they couldn't challenge, if it came out the replay guys told him the tag was clearly missed, Robin would get blasted.

This is such a hilarious argument.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 07:15 PM)

Because the third inning is exactly the same $&@?ing inning in DAs book of baseball axioms...that the results of an unsuccessful challenge in the third would have the same impact on an eventual win or loss outcome.

If he held his hand too long with the tag, got spiked and was out for 4-6 weeks like Rios, they would say Alexei made a dumb play and blame him for the Carlos Sanchez/Micah Johnson/Gordon Beckham show during that time.

And if we are going to applaud Garcia for not diving, we should applaud Alexei for being one of the most durable shortstops in the game for avoiding unnecessary extended contact there.

And 98% of the time mlb umpires will automatically call the runner out there when the throw clearly beats him...like the phantom tag of second by middle infielders on double play balls.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)
You're telling me with 1st and 3rd or bases loaded (two consecutive intentional walks) and you're playing for a DP they're not going to be 2-3 steps further back at least? Why? You don't absolutely have to cut down the winning run at home plate...why do 90-95% of managers put those runners on as well (unless his pitcher is having control issues)?

I would have played further back for sure. Hated the alignment immediately.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 01:31 AM)

Robin isn't a 'stooge.' He's not that bad. But his handling of the ninth was really bad. First of all, even though Hawk and Stoney kept ripping Lexi and saying you have to get your nose dirty and make a hard tag and everybody thought he missed the tag, hey it's the ninth inning and you are going to lose if the call is not overturned so you might as well challenge it regardless.

Second, not walking one batter with a runner on third was really weird. It's like Robin had a dinner appointment and wanted the game to end. No way lefty Duke was going to get that righty hitter to strike out or pop up. Now against an equally bad team like the Twins, maybe that would work. Not against the perennial division champs. But I hate when it seems like the Sox are conceding and I felt the Sox were conceding by not challenging the play and not walking at least one batter, maybe two to have FORCE OUT possibilities or DP possibility. Weird.

Edited by greg775