4/18 Games

flavum

I'm happy for the fans of Charlotte, who had to endure infinite suckage last year with crappy retread pitchers, plus the mysteriously crappy EJohnson. Must be nice for them to see the CMWang's of the world in the other dugout.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 07:15 PM)
Depends on their willingness to eat $20 million on Danks and/or the court of public and media opinion...fan frustration levels, attendance trends, etc.

If you've really got Johnson, Rodon, Montas, Danish, Adams and Beck/Fry/Trexler/R.Leyer (outside looking in) as legit starting prospects, that would be a huge improvement from 2-3 years ago.

There's an outside chance that Danks can still pitch his way into semi-tradeability - minimal return of low-level MiLBer(s), coupled with significant salary relief from the Sox, but still enough savings to be worthwhile. Won't hold my breath, but it's possible.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 10:26 PM)
Let's give it a couple months before we start counting on EJ as a prospect. He has 8 IP this season. Phil Humber threw a perfect game once.

While I completely understand what you're saying, it's very encouraging that his velocity has returned

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 09:02 PM)
2 things I've noticed from Kanny tonight: Austin is killing the ball down there, and its good to see Lowry's K numbers up a bit.

When I saw them in person, Austin was an all-around great player, and Lowry just threw strike after strike, love this system

Just to be clear on who Robinson (Robin) Leyer is... he's always had the big fastball, mid-90s touching upper 90s with some movement. The problem is he's got basically nothing else. The change has nice velo spacing but isn't anything special. His breaking pitch is... not good.

He's a reliever. He's starting now because they do that with guys they think can be key relievers later, and he may be that. But he is definitely not a starter long-term.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
Just to be clear on who Robinson (Robin) Leyer is... he's always had the big fastball, mid-90s touching upper 90s with some movement. The problem is he's got basically nothing else. The change has nice velo spacing but isn't anything special. His breaking pitch is... not good.

He's a reliever. He's starting now because they do that with guys they think can be key relievers later, and he may be that. But he is definitely not a starter long-term.

i am in total agreement. i would also like to add, and this is just me, they will have some pitchers who they think will only be a rp to start, so they can rep in with innings and to work on specific pitchers. to perfect then so to speak.