MLB Franchise Four

Middle Buffalo

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sox have to have the worst second best player ever of the older franchises. It seems like we went basically to the 30s to the early 80s without a true superstar player until Fisk and Thomas showed up. There were obviously some good players in there but no real franchise ones. Appling maybe was good enough for that title. Fox and Aparichio were popular but I'm not sure good enough. Dick Allen wasn't with the Sox for long.

I doubt Fisk will be on there because of the hall of fame fiasco. Eddie Collins is a GOAT caliber player but he played so long ago. Joe Jackson is banned from baseball but he's so culturally relevant and of course good that he should be on there. Frank Thomas is the only obvious lock.

I'm voting Collins, Thomas, Konerko, and Minoso.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
The Sox have to have the worst second best player ever of the older franchises. It seems like we went basically to the 30s to the early 80s without a true superstar player until Fisk and Thomas showed up. There were obviously some good players in there but no real franchise ones. Appling maybe was good enough for that title. Fox and Aparichio were popular but I'm not sure good enough. Dick Allen wasn't with the Sox for long.

I doubt Fisk will be on there because of the hall of fame fiasco. Eddie Collins is a GOAT caliber player but he played so long ago. Joe Jackson is banned from baseball but he's so culturally relevant and of course good that he should be on there. Frank Thomas is the only obvious lock.

I mean, Appling, Aparicio, and Fox are all Hall of Famers. Seems a little harsh.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)
Frank Thomas, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Nellie Fox, Aparicio.

Billy Pierce and Minnie Minoso might be the best ambassadors the club has ever had, and nicest guys, but can't be the Top 4 IMO.

I wouldn't put Harold Baines there over any of the Top 4, either.

Ed Walsh, Hoyt Wilhelm, Ted Lyons, Red Faber, Ray Schalk, Eddie Collins and Luke Appling have arguments as well.

Carlton Fisk...but didn't play quite enough to be considered more White Sox than Boston.

Played more games and years in Chicago than Boston.

Ed Walsh needs to be there.

Thomas as well

then Appling and Fox.

Fisk may not because he split teams and the east coast bias will put him with the Red Sox.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)

Appling was a 70+ fWAR player who would have easily had 3000 hits had he not lost two years serving in WWII, I think he qualifies. To me the dude is a legend and is incredibly underrated.

Hell, this alone should get him on the Sox Mount Rushmore :D

Let's not forget Lyons.

From Wikipedia.

"He made a brief return to the mound in 1946, with a 2.32 ERA[4] in five games, all complete. He stopped pitching for good that season, having compiled a 260–230 record, 356 complete games, 1073 strikeouts and a 3.67 ERA. He never appeared in a postseason game, as the generally mediocre-to-poor White Sox were usually far behind the American League leaders during his career. In Lyons' 21 seasons with the Sox, they finished fifth or lower (in an eight-team league) 16 times, and never finished higher than third. New York Yankees manager Joe McCarthy said, "If he'd pitched for the Yankees, he would have won over 400 games."

That last quote says a lot.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
I mean, Appling, Aparicio, and Fox are all Hall of Famers. Seems a little harsh.

It was probably harsh to Appling. He was a true cornerstone player. But Aparicio and Fox, while great players, were flawed ones too, at least to me by merely pulling up their stats.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
Luke Appling was basically the consensus greatest White Sox ever before Frank Thomas. That he doesn't have a statue is criminal.

I love the statutes because I think they're great aesthetics. I'd really like to see one for each retired number + Walsh, Collins and Jackson.

maybe it is me, but i truly would like that Shoeless Joe gets some nods, i really don't know if he was really guilty.

maybe he was guilty of having no education that prevented him for reading what he needed to.

carlton fisk and wilbur wood. i like to get some nods.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
By the way, it says (at least my mlb.com e-mail about this) the greatest LIVING players.

So that would be Thomas, Baines, Aparicio, Buehrle/Konerko, arguably.

You could make an argument for Fisk as well, and Billy Pierce.

Well Eddie Collins is on the ballot so I don't think thats the case. Buehrle would have to be a write in.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
By the way, it says (at least my mlb.com e-mail about this) the greatest LIVING players.

So that would be Thomas, Baines, Aparicio, Buehrle/Konerko, arguably.

You could make an argument for Fisk as well, and Billy Pierce.

The Franchise Four is all players living or deceased.

The greatest living players is something different they are doing to decide the four greatest living players regardless of team. Their ballot for this is ridiculous. It only lists eight players: Aaron, Bench, Bonds, Henderson, Koufax, P. Martinez, Mays and Seaver. While you can write in names this ballot is ridiculous as most people will just vote for who they can click on without having to type anything.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y20...reatest_players

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
The Franchise Four is all players living or deceased.

The greatest living players is something different they are doing to decide the four greatest living players regardless of team. Their ballot for this is ridiculous. It only lists eight players: Aaron, Bench, Bonds, Henderson, Koufax, P. Martinez, Mays and Seaver. While you can write in names this ballot is ridiculous as most people will just vote for who they can click on without having to type anything.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y20...reatest_players

How did they pick Pedro Martinez over, say, Randy Johnson or Greg Maddux?

Just weird.

And why are they inserting Bonds into the discussion? (Assuming they mean Barry and not Bobby).

How could anyone not vote either Mays or Aaron there?

If it was "most impactful/disruptive" leadoff hitter, then sure, Rickey Henderson, okay.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 06:51 PM)

Just weird.

And why are they inserting Bonds into the discussion? (Assuming they mean Barry and not Bobby).

If it was "most impactful/disruptive" leadoff hitter, then sure, Rickey Henderson, okay.

Probably because Pedro was better.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)

Just weird.

Because he is one of the greatest players of all time? Just a wild guess.