Rodon Joining Sox Tomorrow - Working out of Bullpen (Initially)

DirtySox

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 09:00 PM)
What? Quintana will not be shutdown. He was a 5 WAR pitcher last year. He needs to stop docking around and throw strikes. Rodon will be in the pen, like they've said and then he'll take Noesi's rotation spot.

What kind of pitcher he was last year is irrelevant, or the year before, for that matter. He has lost around 5 mph on his fastball. I'm convinced that he is not throwing strikes, because he knows that his 89 mph fastball is going to get hit hard, if he throws it in the zone. I will be shocked if it is Noesi, whom Rodon replaces in the rotation. Noesi is still throwing as well as he did last year, or better. Quintana is the guy they're probably worried about, because he is the one guy who has mysteriously lost his stuff.

Quintana'a problems seem to have begun, at the latest, with his last start in Spring Training. In that game on April 2ND, he went just 2 innings, gave up 8 hits and 6 earned runs. His next start was 6 days later vs the Royals. He gave up 5 earned runs, on 9 hits, in just 5 innings.

Then on April 14TH against the Indians, he pitched well enough to get the win; 6 innings, just 3 hits and only 1 unearned run. The problem is that his velocity was not there. And then yesterday, we all saw what the Tiger hitters could see. He had no velocity, and they were sitting on his breaking ball, which he threw a lot, probably out of necessity.

I don't know how to use all of the tools on Fangraphs. Would someone check and see just how much velocity he has lost on his fastball. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought that he threw his fastball at 93 - 94, last year. To reiterate; ihs last two starts, he has been sitting at around 89.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 04:50 AM)
What kind of pitcher he was last year is irrelevant, or the year before, for that matter. He has lost around 5 mph on his fastball. I'm convinced that he is not throwing strikes, because he knows that his 89 mph fastball is going to get hit hard, if he throws it in the zone. I will be shocked if he replaces Noesi in the rotation. Noesi is still throwing as well as he did last year, or better. Quintana is the guy that they are worried about, because he is the one guy who has mysteriously lost his stuff.

Quintana'a problems seem to have begun, at the latest, with his last start in Spring Training. In that game on April 2ND, he went just 2 innings, gave up 8 hits and 6 earned runs. His next start was 6 days later vs the Royals. He gave up 5 earned runs, on 9 hits, in just 5 innings.

Then on April 14TH against the Indians, he pitched well enough to get the win; 6 innings, just 3 hits and only 1 unearned run. The problem is that his velocity was not there. And then yesterday, we all saw what the Tiger hitters could see. He had no velocity, and they were sitting on his breaking ball, which he threw a lot, probably out of necessity.

He hsn't lost 5 MPH off his fastball, and he was coming off a good start in Cleveland. 2 bad starts and the alarm bells go off.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 06:16 AM)
I sure hope that you're right, "Dick" and that I'm over reacting. However, I really don't think that I am. It will be interesting to see how he pitches, his next start.

I think you're overreacting quite a bit here Lillian. Someone already posted this, but his velocity so far looks pretty similar to his overall April/early May numbers from the last two years. Looks like he constantly starts off a little light with the fastball, but gets back up to that 91.5 to 92 MPH range by mid May. I think it's way too early to jump to any conclusions here.

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?pla...=P&pitch=FA

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 06:33 AM)
Any chance he spends a few weeks in the bullpen, then gets sent back to Charlotte to stretch out his arm and joins the rotation in the summer? That would keep his innings down.

I think he will spend just a few weeks in the pen but I don't think he will get sent back down to stretch out his arm. With Danks and Noesi making up 2/5ths of the Sox rotation, there should be ample opportunities to stretch him out from the pen.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 06:33 AM)
Any chance he spends a few weeks in the bullpen, then gets sent back to Charlotte to stretch out his arm and joins the rotation in the summer? That would keep his innings down.

After being a starter in Spring and the early season he won't need long to get stretched out. My guess would be 3-4 weeks of bullpen then 1-2 starts with an innings limit, depending on how long his bullpen stints are.

QUOTE (staxx @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)
Rodon isn't going back down unless he is an absolute failure. That is out of the question.

i agree and i think the coaches will do what is needed to help him and not to throw him to the sharks.

With the extra year of service time, using Rodon in the pen is less of an issue. Even if Rodon spends all season in the pen (doubtful), the Sox still have 6 years of Rodon in the starting rotation after the 2015 season.

Rodon can get acclimated to mlb hitters while waiting for Danks/Noesi to s*** the bed and open up a spot for Rodon in the rotation. Buying time in the pen for now could keep Rodon's arm a little more fresh for later in the season when he becomes a starter.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
Is Putnam injured or are you guessing a "phantom" DL stint?

Putnam has had issues with his shoulder before. In fact he didn't pitch the final month of last season. I have no idea how they will get to the 25 man limit but Drabek outrighted and a DL stint by someone seems most likely.

Edited by Dick Allen

Robin said a couple of days ago, Rodon wouldn't be called up unless there was a need. I am thinking with Danks and Noesi starting, you probably can't expect long outings, and the need is another lefty, since Jennings isn't really a LOOGY and Duke seems to have the 8th inning, vs. Cleveland and KC.

Edited by Dick Allen