Attendance 2015

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Brian26 @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 06:15 PM)
There was a Blackhawks game that night and storms that caused two rain delays. I didn't even watch the game on TV that night let alone go to the Cell. Just amazing nobody would consider that before making a statement like "Chris Sale isn't a draw."

I didn't say he was not a draw. I said I am surprised he does not attract bigger crowds when he starts. I do not live in Chicago so I am not going to know about weather. It must have been the weather and not the hockey game. If the weather was the reason then obviously fans do not purchase in advance for his starts. If the Blackhawk game affected Monday's attendance with Sale why was Q's start about the same size crowd on Wednesday???

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I could tell, last night' attendance of 17,028 was the lowest attendance of any June or July home game for the White Sox in at least the last 5 years and probably since 2005 (I got lazy after getting to 2011).

ESPN writer Nick Freidell attempted a twitter callout of white sox fans after only 24k showed up for Sale/Buehrle on Monday asking:

@NickFriedell

Why should media outlets write/talk about the White Sox if they can't even get 25,000 people to come out and see Buehrle vs. Sale?

I'm sure you can guess how that went.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
As far as I could tell, last night' attendance of 17,028 was the lowest attendance of any June or July home game for the White Sox in at least the last 5 years and probably since 2005 (I got lazy after getting to 2011).

ESPN writer Nick Freidell attempted a twitter callout of white sox fans after only 24k showed up for Sale/Buehrle on Monday asking:

It turns out Sox fans are just like Jerry Reinsdorf. One World Series in 96 years is some kind of crowning achievement that legitimizes the franchise. People still use that as a comeback?

We're preaching to the choir here (as I'm sure fans who spend time on White Sox message boards are also likely fans who go to games), but does anyone really blame the fans for not coming out? If I had any faith that low attendance would cause changes in the front office I would want it to continue.

As far as I could tell, last night' attendance of 17,028 was the lowest attendance of any June or July home game for the White Sox in at least the last 5 years and probably since 2005 (I got lazy after getting to 2011). ESPN writer Nick Freidell attempted a twitter callout of white sox fans after only 24k showed up for Sale/Buehrle on Monday asking: I'm sure you can guess how that went.

That crowd looked bigger than 25K, and it definitely sounded bigger than 25k. Considering the threat of rain, I thought they drew well for a Monday night. Did anyone really expect a sell out?

QUOTE (SmashROT @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
That crowd looked bigger than 25K, and it definitely sounded bigger than 25k. Considering the threat of rain, I thought they drew well for a Monday night. Did anyone really expect a sell out?

The Cubs were also in town, and Monday Night Raw was at the All-State Arena as well that night. There was a lot of competition in addition to the weather. Not really that surprising.

Edited by OmarComing25

He is right. It is also why teams like the Cubs get way more coverage in general. It is common sense.

Sale/Buehrle got hurt by the rain. Probably would have got close to 30k.

It's difficult for most to go to a Sox game last minute. Most people plan games they go to weeks in advance.

The Sox will start drawing the year after they actually are good, and continue to be good. Nobody should want to pay to see this crap they're putting out there right now.

I live 4.5 miles from the ballpark, and I almost stayed home because two hours before gametime the forecasts were telling me not to bother. For anybody who has any more trouble getting to US Cellular than I do, I imagine the decision would be pretty easy. The weather certainly had an impact.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
He is right. It is also why teams like the Cubs get way more coverage in general. It is common sense.

The Sox do themselves no favors when it comes to drawing attendance:

1.) Awful performances on the field year in and year out

2.) Neighborhood isn't really a destination for anything

3.) People from the organization criticize fanbase

25K for a last place team in the central and one of the worst teams in baseball actually seems like a pretty good turnout, so Im not really sure what he is criticizing. The team hasnt scored more than 4 runs in 24 home games, people go to baseball games to see offense, not pitching, that's just the truth of it. It's great to celebrate the new and old guard of the south side, but anyone questioning White Sox fans lack of interest is kidding themselves.

yeah, you know, I frankly feel like pitching matchups are NOT a driver for attendance because they are very hard to plan for. You can plan to see a hitter coming to town, but we knew it was going to be sale v. buerhle when...the monday before?

You know what drives attendance more then anything...winning and exciting baseball and the Sox provide none of it. I have a hard time freaking watching the games and I am as diehard as it gets. They are terrible and play terrible baseball. With some of the consistent mental and just poor fundamental mistakes these guys make, it is just hard to watch. I can purely sit and watch Sale and be mesmerized and then the team hits or fields and I just get annoyed and irritated as can be. I've watched a lot of bad Sox teams and been able to enjoy watching the game, I have a hard time enjoying much anything with Sox baseball right now and if that is how I feel, I can't imagine how Joe fan feels and why they would go, other then the, we haven't caught a game this year, lets go.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
You know what drives attendance more then anything...winning and exciting baseball and the Sox provide none of it. I have a hard time freaking watching the games and I am as diehard as it gets. They are terrible and play terrible baseball. With some of the consistent mental and just poor fundamental mistakes these guys make, it is just hard to watch. I can purely sit and watch Sale and be mesmerized and then the team hits or fields and I just get annoyed and irritated as can be. I've watched a lot of bad Sox teams and been able to enjoy watching the game, I have a hard time enjoying much anything with Sox baseball right now and if that is how I feel, I can't imagine how Joe fan feels and why they would go, other then the, we haven't caught a game this year, lets go.

Yes this is true. I bought a large game ticket package and i have hated every game except for last friday. But last Friday was so much fun I thought maybe baseball was enjoyable again. But it is just so effing annoying remembering there is a game, looking up the score and it's once again the 6th inning and it's 1 run scored for white sox.

How have they not even had a hot week yet of hitting? It is unreal.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)

25K for a last place team in the central and one of the worst teams in baseball actually seems like a pretty good turnout, so Im not really sure what he is criticizing. The team hasnt scored more than 4 runs in 24 home games, people go to baseball games to see offense, not pitching, that's just the truth of it. It's great to celebrate the new and old guard of the south side, but anyone questioning White Sox fans lack of interest is kidding themselves.

I think the only guy that has criticized the fans is Cooper. The performances have been awful, but with Sale on the mound, you could guess they would not be that day, and they are over .500 at home this year. I don't know what the White Sox could do to make the neighborhood a "destination", that has more to do with the residents of the location. If I lived there, I wouldn't want drunk guys peeing on my lawn at 1 in the morning on a Tuesday night either.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)

What it boils down to is White Sox fans have all the excuses in the world. Cubs fans go to games. Of course the media is going to cover the Cubs. They are the ones who put butts in seats, eyes on televisions, ears on the radio, calls into talk radio, etc. It isn't just 2015 either. It has been like this for decades now. But of course, it gets a reaction out of Sox fans, so the topic comes up over and over again.

Quit falling for WSCR's trolling. That is all this really is. The rest is stuff that has been discussed ad naseum.

The fact is there are always excuses...the Cubs were playing, there was wrestling in Rosemont, it looked like it might rain, those are fine, legitimate excuses, but they are excuses, and it is one reason why the White Sox seem to always have to do things half-assed, and hope they get lucky. Their excuse is just as valid as any of ours.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
In 1980/81, the Cubs and Sox both sold for essentially the same price. Now the Cubs are worth 3X the Sox. Who's fault is that? the fans?

It's either the fans fault or the Cubs fans credit. It certainly isn't because the Cubs have been more successful on the field since then.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
The fact is there are always excuses...the Cubs were playing, there was wrestling in Rosemont, it looked like it might rain, those are fine, legitimate excuses, but they are excuses, and it is one reason why the White Sox seem to always have to do things half-assed, and hope they get lucky. Their excuse is just as valid as any of ours.

The Sox have their own reasons to make excuses but I never saw the Angels make massive excuses when they were a huge secondary market team in comparison to the Dodgers (far more so then the Sox / Cubs based upon my eye test) prior to the Angels winning a world series. Then the Angels won a world series and went on a collective long-term run of winning baseball and at the same time a collective long-term run of 3M+ fans and being one of the top teams in terms of attendance and revenues (and even got a pretty massive TV contract as a result) all while playing second fiddle to a gigantic behemoth of the Dodgers (much more of a behemoth in terms of revenues, etc then the Cubs). The Angels even drew during the ocassional down year (although in those down years they had a plan and some exciting players and a team to watch, just some guys who didn't work). I think their owner is a jackhole, but you know what, if the Sox built a winning team and did it over the long haul they'd see their fan base grow and with consistent winning comes consistent generations who will cheer and follow your team.

I don't want to hear excuses and cries from a front office, I want to see results. You have limitations, you need to adjust your strategy and work through those limitations. The Sox have played at a payroll where they absolutely could be contending year in and year out (and relevatively speaking during the great extent of the KW run we did...however, unlike the Angels, we didn't get those multiple division titles that truly help cement the fan base) but you know what we could have and while some more money might have helped, better decisions or performance might have helped too. A lot of luck goes into things but I don't see many franchises more public about impacts of attendance on the team. Heck, attendance is #3 in what drives revenue (behind national and local tv money). Build an exciting team and consistent winner and the other stuff happens. It isn't easy to do it but when it doesn't work, I don't want to hear excuses, I want to see changes and results.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
It's either the fans fault or the Cubs fans credit. It certainly isn't because the Cubs have been more successful on the field since then.

predates my time, but how much were the Sox impacted by Cubs being on WGN and Sox being on cable vision or whatever the pay per view like network they were on which I presume significantly narrowed the fan base. You also wonder how much Harray Carray actually helped drive the value as well (as he kind of symbolized everything as well). And also you have to give some credit to the Cubs for marketing the events as giant parties and I guess the overall corporate culture of Chicago which ensures enough people can get to the games and have a blast (and the location of Wrigley maybe helps in this way, not sure).

Ahhh, I should stop rambling.

Just FYI, the reason I bumped this that no one really hit upon yet was really how bad last night's attendance was. I threw Sale's in because I was bumping the thread anyway.

Based on all of the reports during the offseason and based on the attendance at the lowly-attended games in the spring, we seem to have gotten several thousand additional season ticket sales or at least ticket packages sold in the offseason. We should be able to easily beat the attendance numbers from last year, but for comparable July games, we're significantly down.

The issues brought up - weather, etc., that could have kept Tuesday night down happen sometimes every year, hence the comparison from year to year. Yet, last night's was still somehow below seasons where we had fewer season tickets sold.

For that to happen with the season ticket/ticket package boost, we must be doing absolutely awful on the walkup numbers. I mean like epically bad, "worst walkups in the last decade" bad.

That's not an auspicious trend going into season ticket renewal period.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
In 1980/81, the Cubs and Sox both sold for essentially the same price. Now the Cubs are worth 3X the Sox. Who's fault is that? the fans?

The Cubs and Sox drew pretty equal attendance numbers up until the 80s. WGN and the marketing by the Tribune allowed the Cubs to jump way ahead. They did a hell of a job marketing Wrigley. More than a third of fans in attendance at Cubs games are tourists, Wrigley is in the top 5 of places to see in Chicago on almost every list. In the city itself the fanbases aren't that far apart, but the Sox have zero draw outside Chicago. The location doesn't help either. They also really blew it after 2005. That was a golden opportunity to build a consistent winner and grab a bunch of the casual fans, instead we're back to being irrelevant again.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)
predates my time, but how much were the Sox impacted by Cubs being on WGN and Sox being on cable vision or whatever the pay per view like network they were on which I presume significantly narrowed the fan base. You also wonder how much Harray Carray actually helped drive the value as well (as he kind of symbolized everything as well). And also you have to give some credit to the Cubs for marketing the events as giant parties and I guess the overall corporate culture of Chicago which ensures enough people can get to the games and have a blast (and the location of Wrigley maybe helps in this way, not sure).

Ahhh, I should stop rambling.

I think that was overblown a bit as well. The first 4 years JR owned the White Sox they outdrew the Cubs by about 1,400,000 total. What killed the Sox was 1984. Everything came up roses for the Cubs until they went to San Diego in October. It used to be, they would actually close the upper deck at Wrigley Field back then. It wasn't until Harry's 4th season with the Cubs where they overtook the White Sox attendance-wise. The Sox actually slightly outdrew them in 1984.

This team sucks I was at the game on June 19th and I was at Monday's game.

Other than watching Chris Sale pitch there is no reason to be out there NONE. The fundamentals, food etc are all bulls***. Put a good team on the field that is exciting to watch and you will get fans.

Quintana would be a reason to go but I'd rather see Sale.

The hitting and defense are atrocious, the team has ZERO baseball IQ and the same s*** happens time and again. Carlos Sanchez cannot get a bunt down two nights in a row.

Moves should have already have been made as this crap is not changing and has not since the first four game losing streak proved that this team cannot hit, field or run the bases.