Who can the Sox acquire?

ILMOU

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we know the Nationals have extra pitchers available (Gio, Zimmermann, Fister)...but that's a highly improbable option. The Mets supposedly are looking to shore up their starting line-up.

So the obvious one is trying to trade Noesi or Danks. Of course, there's P. Maholm out there for free, Aaron Harang, Kyle Lohse...the Cardinals aren't likely to take on Danks' contract, but you never know. Matt Garza, maybe? Yovanni Gallardo, although the Rangers needs to at least try to compete the first 2-3 months (if possible).

The Cards keep getting asked by Amaro for Carlos Martinez AND to take on that huge contract for Hamels, so that might be a non-starter for Mozeliak.

They're not going to get anywhere asking for Cueto, David Price or Jeff Samardzija, either. The Cubs won't just give them Edwin Jackson....not where it's going to backfire against them.

And the Cards can keep saying they're willing to wait on Marco Gonzales and their overall record's just fine.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 08:41 AM)
Well, we know the Nationals have extra pitchers available (Gio, Zimmermann, Fister)...but that's a highly improbable option. The Mets supposedly are looking to shore up their starting line-up.

So the obvious one is trying to trade Noesi or Danks. Of course, there's P. Maholm out there for free, Aaron Harang, Kyle Lohse...the Cardinals aren't likely to take on Danks' contract, but you never know. Matt Garza, maybe? Yovanni Gallardo, although the Rangers needs to at least try to compete the first 2-3 months (if possible).

The Cards keep getting asked by Amaro for Carlos Martinez AND to take on that huge contract for Hamels, so that might be a non-starter for Mozeliak.

They're not going to get anywhere asking for Cueto, David Price or Jeff Samardzija, either. The Cubs won't just give them Edwin Jackson....not where it's going to backfire against them.

And the Cards can keep saying they're willing to wait on Marco Gonzales and their overall record's just fine.

I'd bet the Cubs would actually just give them Edwin Jackson.

That's a pretty big risk that the Cardinals "fix" Jackson and turn him into a productive rotation member.

They certainly don't have to save the money, in the overall scheme of things.

In 2011 he put up a 3.58 ERA and WHIP around 1.50 (with St. Louis), nothing amazing, but it's probably as much as they could expect out of Gonzales and he has far more durability than Jaime Garcia will ever provide again at the major league level...

I think they'd rather take Jackson and $6-8 million instead of Cole Hamels' deal....its number of years into an uncertain future AND the loss of Carlos Martinez when they've already dealt Shelby Miller and Kelley from their stable.

Edited by caulfield12

honestly, imo any move the sox make now, the other teams will see that as a desperation move and will ask for the most.

the pen is really the bread and butter, i just wish the sox would have gotten another rp.

re positional players, who is out there that can be added relatively cheaply, then have to know next yr when the prospects will start nipping on the heals of making the big league.

cat.... same but i wonder of P Obrien from Arz..,. i think, i read something about him somewhere last week. he might be avail.....

but i have to keep on thinking, this team, like all teams barely started their season.

(Bob) Nightengale lists the Cardinals, Red Sox, Dodgers and Blue Jays as teams that could desperately use Hamels in their rotation. The Blue Jays wouldn’t seem to have the payroll capacity to add Hamels’ contract, but perhaps with enough money being paid down, something could be worked out. And for what it’s worth, Amaro did mention Toronto GM when making a tongue-in-cheek comment about his stress levels regarding the Hamels negotiations, stating: “I guarantee I’ll get more grey hairs from my daughter [taking her driving test] than any trade talks with Mozeliak, Anthopoulos and Cherington.” Nightengale adds that Amaro had talks regarding Hamels with a team as recently as Tuesday morning, and “some desperation” began to creep into those talks.

www.mlbtraderumors.com

Since this article was written, Tanaka also went down for the Yankees.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 07:20 AM)
(Bob) Nightengale lists the Cardinals, Red Sox, Dodgers and Blue Jays as teams that could desperately use Hamels in their rotation. The Blue Jays wouldn’t seem to have the payroll capacity to add Hamels’ contract, but perhaps with enough money being paid down, something could be worked out. And for what it’s worth, Amaro did mention Toronto GM when making a tongue-in-cheek comment about his stress levels regarding the Hamels negotiations, stating: “I guarantee I’ll get more grey hairs from my daughter [taking her driving test] than any trade talks with Mozeliak, Anthopoulos and Cherington.” Nightengale adds that Amaro had talks regarding Hamels with a team as recently as Tuesday morning, and “some desperation” began to creep into those talks.

www.mlbtraderumors.com

Since this article was written, Tanaka also went down for the Yankees.

phiily asking price still hasn't change.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 2, 2015 -> 05:25 PM)
While it may be too early to become sellers, themselves, it's certainly makes little sense for the Sox to be buyers.

If they became sellers I think that erodes the fan base even more. What good would getting another team's prospects when this organization doesn't seem to be good at developing baseball players.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 2, 2015 -> 10:37 PM)
If they became sellers I think that erodes the fan base even more. What good would getting another team's prospects when this organization doesn't seem to be good at developing baseball players.

Agreed, and Anderson, Hawkins, Danish, Montas just arent ready.

You could imagine Davidson, Thompson and Sanchez getting more playing time...and trading for a Flowers replacement (Samardzija/Alexei), but they really cant deal Cabrera, LaRoche or Robertson (especially) and still be considered to be in a position to contend in 2016.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 3, 2015 -> 04:37 AM)

My point is the Twins finish ahead of us and are .500. If the Sox were .500 after years of this s***, people would come.

I will tell you this. As smart as Hahn is, my being a GM would have the Sox in much better shape cause I'd have acquired Billy Butler and Torii Hunter who are better than LaRoche/Melky.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 3, 2015 -> 12:29 AM)
My point is the Twins finish ahead of us and are .500. If the Sox were .500 after years of this s***, people would come.

I will tell you this. As smart as Hahn is, my being a GM would have the Sox in much better shape cause I'd have acquired Billy Butler and Torii Hunter who are better than LaRoche/Melky.

giphy.gif

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 3, 2015 -> 12:29 AM)

mjl.gif

Why not trade Samardzija? He could net quite a haul, and this team is not going anywhere, even with him. If they really want to spend the money on a long term deal

for him, they can always sign him in the off season. I'd like to see if some team would give up a good young, potential left handed power hitter. But then, you probably

all guessed that.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 3, 2015 -> 04:17 PM)
Why not trade Samardzija? He could net quite a haul, and this team is not going anywhere, even with him. If they really want to spend the money on a long term deal

for him, they can always sign him in the off season. I'd like to see if some team would give up a good young, potential left handed power hitter. But then, you probably

all guessed that.

trade JS.... the net rtn of prospects vs a potential great comp pick in next yr, what some are saying a better draft.

btw, who will take a chance on him, with the idea of JS going the fa rt next yr.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 3, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)

all guessed that.

Please_Stop.gif

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ May 3, 2015 -> 05:07 PM)
Trade Samardzija now after his value has dropped due to a horrible start to the season? Same with LA Roche?

Didn't we learn anything from the Swisher fiasco?

the things is, need to ride him out for the season.