Who can the Sox acquire?

ILMOU

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ May 3, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
Trade Samardzija now after his value has dropped due to a horrible start to the season? Same with LA Roche?

Didn't we learn anything from the Swisher fiasco?

Your point is well taken. OK, wait until he proves he's himself, re-establishes his trade value, and then trade him.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 3, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)
Your point is well taken. OK, wait until he proves he's himself, re-establishes his trade value, and then trade him.

Exactly! In the mean time, if the Sox pull out of the abyss and look like contenders, they can keep Samardzija and LA Roche for a play off push. Stay or go, they still need to reestablish value first. :)

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 2, 2015 -> 06:25 PM)
While it may be too early to become sellers, themselves, it's certainly makes little sense for the Sox to be buyers.

Agreed. I don't anticipate any major roster changes for the White Sox in the month of May. They certainly aren't a buyer. It comes down to the current roster turning this around. They are going to need to get hot quickly to have any chance of staying in this race. It's going to need to be 11 out of 13 wins or something like that in May. Playing .500 ball or less, and this team will be 10 or 11 games out, best case, by June 1st.

Once Jeff is in demand, after getting on track, and a starter for a contender hits the DL, they can't afford to waste such a good trade asset.

Barring a miracle, after today, the Sox will have to go 80 and 60 the rest of the way. The odds are not good on that. Next year, they have got to have all the pieces in place.

Use Jeff to acquire 1 or 2 of them. If Jeff would be the final piece, sign him in the off season.

Edited by Lillian

Sale and Rodon should be the only untouchables. Love Abreu, but if you can get a Rizzo like talent in 1B, you do it. Alot easier to find a 1B prospect than a stud pitcher. Unfortunately, I don't have faith in our farm system to ever develop a hitter.

I still love the idea of Sale, Q and Rodon as the foundation of the Sox rotation so IMO, I keep them and everyone else can be had for the right price when the trade dead gets closer. That's ONLY if the Sox continue to fall and by no means am I saying have a fire sale... wait for July. :P

Edited by StRoostifer

Woah!! Let's not throw in the towel on this entire team. While I am very pessimistic about their chances for this year, I love the core going forward.

Next year could be very good, with a little tweaking. Everyone whom they want back, will be there, except Samardzija, and I've already expressed my

thoughts on what to do with him.

The bullpen appears to be fixed, the lineup is greatly improved, although the results haven't shown it, thus far, and by next season Rodon should be a force.

There is some hope that the Sox may have a more impactful centerfielder soon, as Thompson seems to have turned the corner. Meanwhile, May is coming along, and not too far behind him.

This is the year to develop Garcia, Johnson, and or Sanchez and Rodon. If they all mature into solid contributors, they could be key to the long term success of this team. I still feel that signing La Roche was a mistake, and I hope they can find a taker, just to clear salary and room for an upgrade, next year.

To me, the big question is going to be SS. Is Ramirez worth bringing back, by exercising the contract option, or will Anderson be ready?

Next year's rotation could be Sale, Rodon, Quintana, Montas and Johnson. That would eliminate the need to pay the big contract, for which Samardzija will surely be looking.

In any case, this team, while off to a season killing start, is not bad enough, or old enough, to completely tear down.

frustration is showing its ugly head. i know b/c i am almost thinking the same thing.

the problem goes deeper, and it goes to when hahn was told to stop and hire retreads. the problem stems from kw and higher. there little act of lets do enuf to get fans back for the season tickets.

that is the problem. now at this time, there is nothing the org can do to right this ship unless it cost pr actually the entire minor league.

on the field, they need to finish the job, cat, 3b and a sub. in the process someone who can also lead this team. not a leader who is not afraid or ready to duke it out, but someone who can lead.

putting all the eggs in the performance of Avi, conor and MJ, well play EB and start somewhere. keep MJ playing, move Melky in Adam slot.

drastic temp moves.

get some testies and fire RV, move a minor league coach in place or finds someone.

hey JR and company, this is all on you. look in the mirror for the person to blame. oops.... i forgot you need to show a profit.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 3, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
Once Jeff is in demand, after getting on track, and a starter for a contender hits the DL, they can't afford to waste such a good trade asset.

Barring a miracle, after today, the Sox will have to go 80 and 60 the rest of the way. The odds are not good on that. Next year, they have got to have all the pieces in place.

Use Jeff to acquire 1 or 2 of them. If Jeff would be the final piece, sign him in the off season.

His situation is interesting. If the White Sox move him early, they can get more for him since a contending team can get 6-8 more starts from him. If they think (or cling) to a hope that they can go on an extended hot streak, and/or believe they can resign him in the off-season, he can walk with no return and/or a lesser return.

Obviously, he appears to be the barometer to what Hahn is thinking.

QUOTE (spiderman @ May 3, 2015 -> 05:13 PM)
His situation is interesting. If the White Sox move him early, they can get more for him since a contending team can get 6-8 more starts from him. If they think (or cling) to a hope that they can go on an extended hot streak, and/or believe they can resign him in the off-season, he can walk with no return and/or a lesser return.

Obviously, he appears to be the barometer to what Hahn is thinking.

Why couldn't they sit Jeff down and explain the predicament, in which they find themselves. Tell him they would love to sign him long term, but that they understand that he wants to test free agency. Candidly admit that their chances for competing for a play off spot this year are fading fast, and that they have a flawed offense, which they will try to fix, in the off season. Suggest to him that he would have a better shot at winning, if they can find a suitable trade partner, for the rest of this season, and that they hope to fill one of the few remaining holes, through the trade. After the season, they would like to discuss his signing a long term contract with them.

The benefit of that candor would be that they wouldn't burn any bridges, and keep open the possibility of bringing him back. They could arguably be well advised to consider trading him sooner, rather than later, as you suggest.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 3, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
Why couldn't they sit Jeff down and explain the predicament, in which they find themselves. Tell him they would love to sign him long term, but that they understand that he wants to test free agency. Candidly admit that their chances for competing for a play off spot this year are fading fast, and that they have a flawed offense, which they will try to fix, in the off season. Suggest to him that he would have a better shot at winning, if they can find a suitable trade partner, for the rest of this season, and that they hope to fill one of the few remaining holes, through the trade. After the season, they would like to discuss his signing a long term contract with them.

The benefit of that candor would be that they wouldn't burn any bridges, and keep open the possibility of bringing him back. They could arguably be well advised to consider trading him sooner, rather than later, as you suggest.

If this season falls apart they're not going to spend $100-120 million to fix it on a single pitcher who probably isn't even an ace in the first place.

(For another reason, they would be MUCH better off allocating that money across 3-5 areas of weakness instead of putting it all in one basket.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2015 -> 07:09 PM)
If this season falls apart they're not going to spend $100-120 million to fix it on a single pitcher who probably isn't even an ace in the first place.

(For another reason, they would be MUCH better off allocating that money across 3-5 areas of weakness instead of putting it all in one basket.)

Exactly. Samardzija isn't an ace and he shouldn't be paid like one either.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ May 3, 2015 -> 06:12 PM)
Exactly. Samardzija isn't an ace and he shouldn't be paid like one either.

That means Sox won't give him QO, which means Sox do not get a comp draft pick in 2016, which means the trade has dubious value, from a second guesser's point of view.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 3, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)

Of course you mean sit down with Jeff's agent, which will cause him to laugh his ass off. And when you say "they", I assume you mean Hahn, who will then go to Kenny for advice.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 3, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
That means Sox won't give him QO, which means Sox do not get a comp draft pick in 2016, which means the trade has dubious value, from a second guesser's point of view.

They can still give him the QO...that's FAIRLY certain, unless he's simply so bad they wouldn't want him back even for a one year deal around $15-16 million or whatever it will end up being.

That would be the very worst case scenario.

They're more likely to trade him if this year falls apart, knowing the players they can get back in trade are going to impact the supposed competitive window of 2016-2019 (plus, they have the Jake Peavy trade and its "success" to point to).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 3, 2015 -> 08:22 PM)

The only way he doesn't get a QO is if he's actually seriously hurt.

Note that I said the purpose of talking to him was to "not burn any bridges and to keep open the possibility of bringing him back", as a free agent. I didn't say

that they should necessarily do so. In fact, unless the contract were reasonable, I'd be opposed to it. He is not an Ace, as many of you have suggested.

To the point about getting compensation; I understood that once he were traded, none of that would be relevant to the Sox. In fact, if they don't plan on making a qualifying offer, at the end of the season, that is even more reason to trade him, and get something back.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2015 -> 02:00 AM)
The only way he doesn't get a QO is if he's actually seriously hurt.

the best case, if the sox were going that rt is still ride out this season and give him a QO. he still may be worth something to someone. however considering how many fa pitchers will hit the market next yr, someone is going to be very disappointed.

i see JS performed, i can not help thank the lucky star he didn't sign that contract extension.