**SPOILER THREAD** GAME OF THRONES ** SPOILER THREAD **

TaylorStSox

So many other pieces of the story need to come together before this comes to a head but that was an incredibly satisfying episode, especially after investing so many years in the books and watching Dany and Arya just toiling away in the margins.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 09:03 AM)
I did, but it was still a weird time jump. It would have been nice to see a 30 second scene with Tyrion/Dany welcoming him back. Instead it was like, oh hey there, welcome back.

It was like he found a worm hole

Yea absolutely thought Varys at the end was a joke, no way he could travel that quickly. Or maybe that journey is that short and the fleet only has what, 2 days to go to make it to Westeros?

Anywho, great finale overall. Cersei is definitely on an island right now, who besides the Lannisters will support her? And even then, Jamie had what, 8k troops? I'm sure that wasn't every last Lannister soldier but they do not have anything close to an army that can withstand the assault from Dany. In fact, it looks like it will be easy pickings across the 7 kingdoms now that Dorne, Tyrell and Martell/Dorne are behind her. Only the north/vale remains as an "outside" force and they have been hit hard and their focus is on the WW.

That kind of leaves Dany making a mockery of the invasion, she'll get the throne pretty easily, but would she give it up to the rightful heir in Jon? Or do they marry or decide to rule like Aegon did with his sister queens (obviously she isn't Jon's sister but use a similar system?).

Also, I'm thinking Melisandre will meet Dany in the south and tell her about the WW war.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 09:03 AM)
I did, but it was still a weird time jump. It would have been nice to see a 30 second scene with Tyrion/Dany welcoming him back. Instead it was like, oh hey there, welcome back.

I've never had a problem understanding why a show with over 150 named characters, spanning several continents isn't exactly linear. Maybe they should have title screens that say "6 months later. Slaver's Bay."

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
I've never had a problem understanding why a show with over 150 named characters, spanning several continents isn't exactly linear. Maybe they should have title screens that say "6 months later. Bay of Dragons."

:P

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)
I've never had a problem understanding why a show with over 150 named characters, spanning several continents isn't exactly linear. Maybe they should have title screens that say "6 months later. Slaver's Bay."

My issue with the timeline is that the Game of Thrones necessarily implies that an act in one part of Westeros has an impact elsewhere in Westeros. For instance, Cersei sent Littlefinger to deal with the Boltons for harboring Sansa last season - who she believes aiding in killing Joffrey. His delay in so doing, and ultimately Littlefinger throwing his support behind Sansa should have all had consequences in King's Landing. Particularly since, during that time, Littlefinger went to the Vale, got the Knights of the Vale to Moat Cailin, showed up in Moletown to offer his support to Sansa, presumably returned to Moat Cailin, and showed up at Winterfell again.

I accept that the storyline currently isn't exactly linear, but it is close enough to linear that characters doing things in a single scene that should take months while another character spends an entire season getting to the Citadel makes the overall timeline for each character a little difficult to follow (ie, where is Sam in time compared to Jon right now - are they caught up chronologically, is Sam months behind, etc.).

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
My issue with the timeline is that the Game of Thrones necessarily implies that an act in one part of Westeros has an impact elsewhere in Westeros. For instance, Cersei sent Littlefinger to deal with the Boltons for harboring Sansa last season - who she believes aiding in killing Joffrey. His delay in so doing, and ultimately Littlefinger throwing his support behind Sansa should have all had consequences in King's Landing. Particularly since, during that time, Littlefinger went to the Vale, got the Knights of the Vale to Moat Cailin, showed up in Moletown to offer his support to Sansa, presumably returned to Moat Cailin, and showed up at Winterfell again.

I accept that the storyline currently isn't exactly linear, but it is close enough to linear that characters doing things in a single scene that should take months while another character spends an entire season getting to the Citadel makes the overall timeline for each character a little difficult to follow (ie, where is Sam in time compared to Jon right now - are they caught up chronologically, is Sam months behind, etc.).

Agreed, the timelines have been all f***ed up, but I think they are doing that out of necessity.

From a review I read today:

"The three major deaths of the Red Wedding were, in order: 1) Robb’s direwolf Grey Wind, shot by crossbows; 2) Robb, stabbed in the gut by Roose Bolton; and 3) Catelyn, whose throat was slit by a Frey. The three major instigators of the Red Wedding were Tywin Lannister, Roose Bolton and Walder Frey, who died in consecutive order by crossbow bolts, a knife to the gut, and a slit throat."

Pretty cool if that was all planned out.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
Seems kind of loose. Robbs wife getting stabbed in the belly a thousand times started it off, and I think of Robbs death more of by crossbow.

That kind of symmetry / major character deaths are probably cribbed directly from GRRM and Robb's wife wasn't present at the Red Wedding.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 01:56 AM)
If you're actively trying to look for timeline fallacies and nitpicks, you've lost the plot. It's entertainment. It's not meant to be anything else.

It's not really looking for it, it was right there. It was made more noticeable by the fact that about 10-15 minutes of show passed between the time that we saw him in Dorne and then again sailing with Dany. Something like Arya's return to Westeros, which also went without out explanation, was less noticeable simply because we had an episode gap in which it was believable that she was able to travel that far.

My issue with it is very, very, very minor. More of a "that's kinda weird" response versus an actual complaint/criticism of the show.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (Nixon @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 05:01 PM)
That kind of symmetry / major character deaths are probably cribbed directly from GRRM and Robb's wife wasn't present at the Red Wedding.

Yeah probably right.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
Only 13-15 episodes left.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/game-of-thrones-sho...15-e-1782731578

Boo.

Yea it's too bad that they aren't coming up with enough to fill in the rest of the episodes. More stories like the Hound's return can really enhance the storyline, and not just be filler. They could go into depth in some really interesting stories if they really wanted to, but I guess they want to focus on wrapping it up.

That graphic is absolute hell to read. Also, I'm more interested in who the hell Dunk f***ed to to get us Brienne of Tarth generations later considering he was a member of the Kingsguard.

Edited by Nixon

• 2 weeks later...

A discussion a friend and I were having centered around Baelish and what he was going to do now. His play for Sansa has failed thus far, and he may have burned that bridge too much to get what he really wants. So what's he going to do? He won't ever truly back down so I think he'll be ready to scheme the power of the Vale elsewhere (not sure if he will be able to but he'll try).

And that brings me to Cersei, she's all along right now with enemies from Highgarden, Dorne, and the North (not to mention Dany coming to town soon). So she most likely will start looking for new allies, so does she make a play for Baelish and the Vale? What about Euron? Those forces would give her a fighting chance, probably not enough still but it would make it a real fight.

So...

Cersei

Euron

Baelish

vs

Dany

Highgarden

Dorne

Yara/Asha

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 07:55 PM)
A discussion a friend and I were having centered around Baelish and what he was going to do now. His play for Sansa has failed thus far, and he may have burned that bridge too much to get what he really wants. So what's he going to do? He won't ever truly back down so I think he'll be ready to scheme the power of the Vale elsewhere (not sure if he will be able to but he'll try).

And that brings me to Cersei, she's all along right now with enemies from Highgarden, Dorne, and the North (not to mention Dany coming to town soon). So she most likely will start looking for new allies, so does she make a play for Baelish and the Vale? What about Euron? Those forces would give her a fighting chance, probably not enough still but it would make it a real fight.

So...

Cersei

Euron

Baelish

vs

Dany

Highgarden

Dorne

Yara/Asha

No way Baelish would join up with that team. That's a downgrade from the squad he's currently on with the North and Riverlands, and miles below Team Dany.

Also, Euron is a can.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
No way Baelish would join up with that team. That's a downgrade from the squad he's currently on with the North and Riverlands, and miles below Team Dany.

Also, Euron is a can.

Baelish at this time doesn't have a squad, so far he hasn't been able to convince Sansa and Jon was just named King of the North, not really fitting into his plans.

And I take it you mean that Euron looks tough on the outside but doesn't have much on the inside?