**SPOILER THREAD** GAME OF THRONES ** SPOILER THREAD **

TaylorStSox

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are we sure they are getting around quickly, I can't really tell how much time is between one scene and the next...

And how did Jamie and Bronn escape? Bronn legit tackled Jamie right in from of Danarys and a dragon and all of a sudden they are safe while everyone else is dead or captured? I would think bringing in the leader of the Army would be a priority

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
Are we sure they are getting around quickly, I can't really tell how much time is between one scene and the next...

And how did Jamie and Bronn escape? Bronn legit tackled Jamie right in from of Danarys and a dragon and all of a sudden they are safe while everyone else is dead or captured? I would think bringing in the leader of the Army would be a priority

That was really stupid, and part of the "fan service-y" parts I didn't like. basically they find themselves having swam across the whole lake in armor, and by the time that was done the battle was over and completely cleared from the field. The "Bron should've died" takes were right. It seems they are scared now to kill anyone of significance.

And I have to be honest. I don't totally understand why kidnapping a dead army guy is so important.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)
That was really stupid, and part of the "fan service-y" parts I didn't like. basically they find themselves having swam across the whole lake in armor, and by the time that was done the battle was over and completely cleared from the field. The "Bron should've died" takes were right. It seems they are scared now to kill anyone of significance.

And I have to be honest. I don't totally understand why kidnapping a dead army guy is so important.

They need to prove white walkers are real. But it doesn't matter because Cersei doesn't give a f***, Walker or no walker

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
They need to prove white walkers are real. But it doesn't matter because Cersei doesn't give a f***, Walker or no walker

Right. That's what I mean. The plan seemed uncontroversial when it's actually a really bad plan that risks losing your likely ally to the north all to get something that may, may get a temporary ceasefire that they are well positioned to get anyway.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)
Right. That's what I mean. The plan seemed uncontroversial when it's actually a really bad plan that risks losing your likely ally to the north all to get something that may, may get a temporary ceasefire that they are well positioned to get anyway.

I think both Tyrion and Jaime know that there will never be a ceasefire with Cersei, and the only chance, no matter how small, would be to show her that there is a greater threat.

Its dumb, i agree. But i think they know it is their only chance. Unfortunately it seems like Cersei will pull a swerve

I loved when Davos told Gendry he was glad he made it because he thought maybe he was still rowing. I laughed at that.

The Jaime/Bronn swimming to safety thing was really annoying.

When (if?) the books ever get released I think the route the story takes to get to the end is going to be so massively different at this point. It really feels like they are now rushing things and relying too much on plot conveniences

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)

It's a stupid plan. By the time Jon gets north of the Wall, grabs a wight, and gets back to King's Landing, won't the army of the dead be at the Wall already? Wouldn't it be easier for Dany to just take King's Landing (something she's very well positioned to do) and then turn her attention North? Or to battle for King's Landing until Jon has a wight and then offer the ceasefire? Feels like a plan that exists exclusively to keep Cersei on the Iron Throne a little longer.

Also, one of the many items of praise for early seasons of GOT was how it deconstructed fantasy tropes. I'm not sure there's anything more fantasy trope-y (real word) than a Fellowship of the Ring style quest north of the Wall. Fan service is, I think, the right word.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
I loved when Davos told Gendry he was glad he made it because he thought maybe he was still rowing. I laughed at that.

The Jaime/Bronn swimming to safety thing was really annoying.

When (if?) the books ever get released I think the route the story takes to get to the end is going to be so massively different at this point. It really feels like they are now rushing things and relying too much on plot conveniences

100% agree. The books are going to be so different that it will almost be like a different story.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)
Why can everyone else travel from one side of the continent and back in the same time it's taking the Night King to march from Hardhome. He's got to go about 1/50th of the distance.

This will help you out for the rest of your movie-watching/book-reading days: In stories, time isn't always linear.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)
I don't think GRRM ever finishes the books at this point

I feel like he has them finished but HBO asked him not to release them until the show concludes. Just my personal conspiracy theory with no basis

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 02:40 PM)
I feel like he has them finished but HBO asked him not to release them until the show concludes. Just my personal conspiracy theory with no basis

He is a really slow author. I wouldnt be surprised if he never finishes.

(edit)

Unrelated looks like Wheel of Time is actually going to be a tv series.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)
This will help you out for the rest of your movie-watching/book-reading days: In stories, time isn't always linear.

I read plenty, thanks.

Everything else in the show has been presented linearly, and we have different characters interacting with different parts of the world that set anchor points for the timelines. People on Dragonstone or at King's Landing or at Winterfell would have gotten ravens that the Night King's army had shown up at the wall some point after they attacked Hardhome. Instead Jon's been able to travel back and forth across all of Westeros multiple times and retake and setup rule at Winterfell, too.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
It's a stupid plan. By the time Jon gets north of the Wall, grabs a wight, and gets back to King's Landing, won't the army of the dead be at the Wall already? Wouldn't it be easier for Dany to just take King's Landing (something she's very well positioned to do) and then turn her attention North? Or to battle for King's Landing until Jon has a wight and then offer the ceasefire? Feels like a plan that exists exclusively to keep Cersei on the Iron Throne a little longer.

Also, one of the many items of praise for early seasons of GOT was how it deconstructed fantasy tropes. I'm not sure there's anything more fantasy trope-y (real word) than a Fellowship of the Ring style quest north of the Wall. Fan service is, I think, the right word.

Totally.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)
Why can everyone else travel from one side of the continent and back in the same time it's taking the Night King to march from Hardhome. He's got to go about 1/50th of the distance.

Yeah I wouldn't really have a problem with the frantic pace/traveling taking no time at all (because I don't really need to see Jon travel from Dragonstone to Eastwatch) if we at least got some legitimate reason as to why the dead army is taking so long to get to the Wall from Hardhome. I know they took a detour with Bran last season but give us something else. Like maybe show a scene that indicates they're hunting down every last living creature north of the Wall to bolster their numbers. Or they're waiting for a certain area to freeze/get colder or something. It wouldn't be that difficult to show a legitimate cause for their relative slowness.

So how does everyone see the rest of this season shaking out? Next week is obviously going to focus on the mission to grab a wight. I'm sure just like with Hardhomme there will be some other stuff going on, but I bet at least half if not more of the run time is focused north of the wall. So what does that leave us with for the rest of the episode and the finale?

Assuming the mission is successful, there will no doubt be a regroup and potential short-term alliance with Cersei in the finale. There clearly is going to be some sort of showdown between Sansa, Arya, & Littlefinger. We'll probably find out where Sam is going. Maybe they'll address the Theon-Euron situation, although Dany being involved wouldn't reflect a truce. Honestly, I have no idea what to expect after that.

Would love to hear what everyone thinks. I fully expected Dany to take the throne this season before dealing with the white walkers next year, so I'm kind of thrown for a loop at the moment.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 03:18 PM)
I read plenty, thanks.

Everything else in the show has been presented linearly, and we have different characters interacting with different parts of the world that set anchor points for the timelines. People on Dragonstone or at King's Landing or at Winterfell would have gotten ravens that the Night King's army had shown up at the wall some point after they attacked Hardhome. Instead Jon's been able to travel back and forth across all of Westeros multiple times and retake and setup rule at Winterfell, too.

The show runners go out of their way to say it's not a linear plot. It's a little lazy but it works out better