**SPOILER THREAD** GAME OF THRONES ** SPOILER THREAD **

TaylorStSox

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I enjoyed the episode, but really thought several of the big 7 would die. Pretty lame that only Thoros bit the dust, which was fairly predictable. I guess the dragon makes up for that to some extent. And I hated how stupid it was for Jon to get stuck behind, not die from hypothermia, and to miraculously be saved by Benjen (who didn't need to die).

The real issue with the episode is how ridiculous the timeline of events was. How many days would it really take for Gendry to get back to Eastwatch, for a raven to get to Dragonstone, & for Dany to get north of the wall? Seems like that would take multiple days and our little suicide squad would have been f***ed. I get the show has to take some liberties, but this seems pretty extreme IMO.

I really hope the books has a different plan for getting the Night's King a dragon than this one.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 07:52 AM)
I enjoyed the episode, but really thought several of the big 7 would die. Pretty lame that only Thoros bit the dust, which was fairly predictable. I guess the dragon makes up for that to some extent. And I hated how stupid it was for Jon to get stuck behind, not die from hypothermia, and to miraculously be saved by Benjen (who didn't need to die).

The real issue with the episode is how ridiculous the timeline of events was. How many days would it really take for Gendry to get back to Eastwatch, for a raven to get to Dragonstone, & for Dany to get north of the wall? Seems like that would take multiple days and our little suicide squad would have been f***ed. I get the show has to take some liberties, but this seems pretty extreme IMO.

I really hope the books has a different plan for getting the Night's King a dragon than this one.

1 - give up on "the books"

2 - this is all very Hollywood now. Ideally, they wouldn't have yet another Jon Snow almost dies moment. There's absolutely no reason he couldn't have just hopped on the dragon and they could have left.

3 - how does NO ONE MENTION that OBVIOUSLY THE WHITE WALKERS WILL HAVE A DRAGON NOW

good s***. whatever. give me the popcorn, the story has to end somehow. I wish it could all be happening before sometime in 2018.

Also, I was wondering this very question. My guess is blue fire.

http://elitedaily.com/entertainment/viseri...hrones/2049340/

Clipboard242-800x400.jpg

Edited by Steve9347

What maester was at East watch? I thought the whole thing with Sam was him becoming the maester for the night's watch? If there's been a maester there the whole time, why doesn't the citadel believe the army of the undead exists?

Benjen ex machina was awful too

Edited by StrangeSox

It's certainly fun and entertaining, but considering how unique and hard to pull off this show has been for so long, it's just a little sad that it feels really rushed to end.

There has never in its history been a "we just need to get them here so this happens" moment as obvious as the terrible kidnapping wight plan, but it allowed the dragon thing to happena nd dany and jon to align. But at that point it's just a tv show.It's a good TV show, but just how many other shows could possibly do what GOT has done to this point? I just wanted it to stick the landing a little better.

Saw this comment, thought it was pretty spot on...

Of all the stupidest contrivances on GOT, the one tonight was the worst to date: the army of the dead found a super heavy chain, in the middle of nowhere, to haul a dead dragon out of the water. What the hell? Were they carrying an enormous chain with them all along, just in case they need to haul something big out of the water?? Please, writers, directors, don't do this to us. Why not have the Night King jump into the water, revive the dragon there and then emerge from the water riding the dragon? Now that would have been a dramatic ending to this episode. You strain things enough as it is. Stop these ridiculous plot devices.

This episode was so bad. I absolutely love this show, but I can't get over how bad that episode was.

1) First of all, the plan to capture a wight was dumb from the start

2) So it took the group a couple days to find the wights, correct? But then Gendry ran back to the wall in what, hours?

3) Random wight walking party just out scouting? Then they kill the white walker and the wights day except, conveniently, just one of them?

4) How convenient was that raised elevation rock in the middle of that frozen lake?

5) So the wights just surrounded the group for what, 2-3 days? Or was it just hours? But then when they had rocks thrown at them (with ridiculously incredible aim) they decided "oh s*** son, no they're asking for it, ATTACK!"

6) Fastest raven ever. That raven made record time from the wall to dragonstone

7) Props to the dragons for their speed in getting to the North as well

8) Random baddies pop up out of the water just at the right time only when Tormund happens to be right at the edge.

9) Jon fell into water in freezing temperatures. That should kill you in minutes, if not hours. But thankfully to the fastest horse ever he makes it back to the wall. Phew.

10) Oh, hi Benjen! Oh, bye Benjen!

Just seriously ridiculous. I love this show, and I really try hard to not be a book snob. But this season the writing has been fair, at best. But this episode, this was so bad. The writing was terrible. I get it, it's fantasy, but the scenarios that played out are so just far out of the realm of plausible. Everything is way too coincidental and convenient. It's sad because it feels like the writers are just sick of the show and have thrown in the towel. They want it over and are rushing through. The end game here should have been another 25-30 episode. Instead they are rushing and packing it into 13. And it's showing.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

The gendry thing was a call to Marathon. I think it's safe to assume they were there for days.

But the rock thing, when he threw the rock they realized the lake had refrozen during that time so they attacked. He also threw a rock into a mass of people and it just happened to hit a guy in the face, not sure that shows ridiculous aim.

Some of your list is real, some is kinda nitpicky. But the writing has been terrible.

It's a fantasy show about another world that has dragons and frozen zombies and people are mad because they didn't properly explain how the frozen zombies got a chain.

I could care less about any of the time stuff. As soon as those dragons show up to burn everything, I'm like "this is the greatest thing ever!"

I'm just trying to enjoy this season for what it is, it's so far beyond any form of realism that it's time to just go along for the ride. It's not how I would have done it but whatever, it's had fun moments, it's had some good fighting scenes, it's coming to an end in one way or another.

I ruined TWD for myself, I couldn't get over differences from the graphic novels and I love GOT too much to repeat that. Going to enjoy this and hopefully enjoy the last books if they come out.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 07:19 AM)
Kinda seems like whenever the Night King reanimates something, it does what he wants it to do

Yep. And I'm sure the only way they stop the ice dragon is by killing the night king, eventually, in a huge battle, with death closing in.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 08:23 AM)
It's certainly fun and entertaining, but considering how unique and hard to pull off this show has been for so long, it's just a little sad that it feels really rushed to end.

There has never in its history been a "we just need to get them here so this happens" moment as obvious as the terrible kidnapping wight plan, but it allowed the dragon thing to happena nd dany and jon to align. But at that point it's just a tv show.It's a good TV show, but just how many other shows could possibly do what GOT has done to this point? I just wanted it to stick the landing a little better.

The post-book episodes have become a lot like Lost for me. At first the unknown was awesome and I couldn't wait to see what happened next. I tended to ignore and/or play down some of the details (like fast travel/time jumps) because it served the story. But now we're at the point where the wow factor is still awesome, but it's being seriously undercut by the ridiculousness of the plot devices to get us to the big set pieces. At the end of this I fear I'm going to think the same as Lost - the journey to the end was great, but man was the ending disappointing/underwhelming.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 09:06 AM)
I'm just trying to enjoy this season for what it is, it's so far beyond any form of realism that it's time to just go along for the ride. It's not how I would have done it but whatever, it's had fun moments, it's had some good fighting scenes, it's coming to an end in one way or another.

I ruined TWD for myself, I couldn't get over differences from the graphic novels and I love GOT too much to repeat that. Going to enjoy this and hopefully enjoy the last books if they come out.

I still hate the show LOST becasue of the ending. Makes it easier to stay with the TWD and GOT and temper expectation s from when the show was riding high.

I like the sped up pace.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
I still hate the show LOST becasue of the ending. Makes it easier to stay with the TWD and GOT and temper expectation s from when the show was riding high.

I like the sped up pace.

I can't stand it. I wish they had agreed to another season. So many of the plot lines don't make much sense, chief among them the supposed attraction between Dany and Jon. It's so rushed it's unbelievable. They've said about 5 words to each other.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 08:20 AM)
The post-book episodes have become a lot like Lost for me. At first the unknown was awesome and I couldn't wait to see what happened next. I tended to ignore and/or play down some of the details (like fast travel/time jumps) because it served the story. But now we're at the point where the wow factor is still awesome, but it's being seriously undercut by the ridiculousness of the plot devices to get us to the big set pieces. At the end of this I fear I'm going to think the same as Lost - the journey to the end was great, but man was the ending disappointing/underwhelming.

Could not have written this any better. Sums up my thoughts perfectly.

So did the Night King know the dragons were coming all along? Otherwise why not just throw the ice spears at Jon's group instead of waiting? And is there a chance that Bran called out to Benjen to save Jon? Didn't he say something about being called by the Three Eyed Raven the last time we saw him?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)
So did the Night King know the dragons were coming all along? Otherwise why not just throw the ice spears at Jon's group instead of waiting? And is there a chance that Bran called out to Benjen to save Jon? Didn't he say something about being called by the Three Eyed Raven the last time we saw him?

I immediately thought of Bran at that moment as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 06:31 AM)
Saw this comment, thought it was pretty spot on...

Of all the stupidest contrivances on GOT, the one tonight was the worst to date: the army of the dead found a super heavy chain, in the middle of nowhere, to haul a dead dragon out of the water. What the hell? Were they carrying an enormous chain with them all along, just in case they need to haul something big out of the water?? Please, writers, directors, don't do this to us. Why not have the Night King jump into the water, revive the dragon there and then emerge from the water riding the dragon? Now that would have been a dramatic ending to this episode. You strain things enough as it is. Stop these ridiculous plot devices.

LOL. Love it.

I do agree that the rushed ending of these last 2 seasons is making characters like Bran wasted. He could be doing so much in the show to further plot lines, give history (and some really good stuff too) but instead every scene with him thus far has been wasted. Besides making Littlefinger uncomfortable, he's done nothing this season. Maybe that changes in the finale.

I'm interested to see how this meet goes with Cersei. Even with the combined armies (like how much help does Cersei really provide anyways) I'm not sure how the army of the dead loses with the ability to take down dragons and now having a dragon. Sam, Qyburn, someone will probably come up with a just in time fix is my guess at this point.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
I do agree that the rushed ending of these last 2 seasons is making characters like Bran wasted. He could be doing so much in the show to further plot lines, give history (and some really good stuff too) but instead every scene with him thus far has been wasted. Besides making Littlefinger uncomfortable, he's done nothing this season. Maybe that changes in the finale.

I'm interested to see how this meet goes with Cersei. Even with the combined armies (like how much help does Cersei really provide anyways) I'm not sure how the army of the dead loses with the ability to take down dragons and now having a dragon. Sam, Qyburn, someone will probably come up with a just in time fix is my guess at this point.

Agree with this totally. I also think it's less about getting cersei's army than getting assurance that she will not attack so they can focus on the war to the north.

Agree also on bran. They put so much legwork into that guy and then they finally get him back around characters, and he sits by a tree and uses his insane power to ... do nothing. Speak in dumbledore. Him and Sam are going to play a big part I would guess, but judging by this season I don't think they'll earn it. They tried with sam montages, but it still seemed kind of incredible when it was just like "Dragonstone sits on dragon glass" "what's that gilly, jons not a bastard, okay!"