**SPOILER THREAD** GAME OF THRONES ** SPOILER THREAD **

TaylorStSox

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My takeaway was that it was entertaining but continued the season's trend of being more and more of an standard action/comic book movie rather than something with more of the "intrigue" and trope-flipping.

With Cersei predictably betraying the truce, it really highlights how dumb and pointless the whole adventure north of the wall was, but they needed to get the NK a dragon somehow I suppose.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
My takeaway was that it was entertaining but continued the season's trend of being more and more of an standard action/comic book movie rather than something with more of the "intrigue" and trope-flipping.

With Cersei predictably betraying the truce, it really highlights how dumb and pointless the whole adventure north of the wall was, but they needed to get the NK a dragon somehow I suppose.

They might have gotten a Lanister out of it (and who knows who else ends up coming with Jamie since he mentioned his intent to bring the armies north).

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)
My guess is that he is referring to Tyrion looking upset/concerned by the Jon/Dany alone time. I didn't get any betrayal vibes from that though.

Unless he is referring to the end clip where it shows him splitting town on a ship to who-knows-where.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
My guess is that he is referring to Tyrion looking upset/concerned by the Jon/Dany alone time. I didn't get any betrayal vibes from that though.

Remember though, she was warned previously that she would have three major betrayals in here life and not to trust a Lion (i.e., the Lannister banner). Tyrion even mentioned / highlighted that it can be okay to lie at various points (and maybe Tyrion was okay with her telling the lie because it at least ensured that their armies focused on what was more important...even if Cersei was going to continue to build her army.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 10:44 PM)
Towards the very end of the show. It showed Tyrian alone and solemn looking for a few seconds, then showed a ship sailing away on the water.

I think that was just the ship they were all on. I didn't get the impression they were trying to convey Tyrion jumped onto another ship and sailed away from everyone else.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 03:04 PM)
I think that was just the ship they were all on. I didn't get the impression they were trying to convey Tyrion jumped onto another ship and sailed away from everyone else.

This was also my interpretation.

Off screen activity after Tyrion recognizes Cersei is pregnant could be where he betrays Dany. It is a reach, indeed, but it might be another theory rabbithole to go down in the next 18 months. Cersei played him like a fiddle, got him to feel like horse s*** about Tommen and Myrcella, then "reveals" her pregnancy, and Tyrion feels the need to protect the unborn Lannister at all costs. Not to mention he repeatedly said he didn't want to end his family and so on. I think it's worth nothing also that Cersei refused some wine, while Tyrion gulped a glass down and began his second, thus potentially hindering his wits. Cersei knew she needed to be clear minded for this engagement. I think, if any of this is true, that Tyrion will try to act as a mediator between sides and try to broker Dany becoming the ruler while somehow saving the unborn Lannister.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
It was a decent finale, could have been better but it had a lot in it. My first impression after the episode ended was Westeros is f***ed. I was talking to a buddy and he brought up Dany's visions in Qarth, and there was one with a snowy throne room, between that and talking about the number of people in King's Landing I'm pretty sure that the dead will make it there.

It got me thinking about the last time the white walkers attacked and Azor Ahai, started reading up on it again. It'll be interesting to see if there are any parallels between then and now.

Unless the snow in the throne room was a reference to Jon Snow

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 10:22 AM)
So what do we think happened in the cutaway from when Tyrion figures out she's pregnant and she lies that they'll go north?

I think Tyrion offered to make Cersei's unborn child Dany's heir to the Iron Throne in return for the truce should see become victorious. So when he saw Jon/Dany get it on, he realized his plan could become in jeopardy if Dany were to become pregnant. I don't know if he is aware of Miri Maz Dur's prophecy or not

I've been swamped at work the last few days, but even after further discussion, reading and reflection, this season was a bummer. There were moments here or there that were awesome, the ending is where we basically wanted to be, but how we got there and what they had to do to change the characters to fit those end points was pretty much unforgivable.

1) Tyrion. I'm fine with him "losing" to Cersei/Jaime when it comes to battle strategy. That makes sense, he's not a soldier. So whatever, first misstep of taking Casterly Rock and letting Highgarden left unguarded is a reasonable mistake. But all this nonsense about bringing a wight to Cersei, and then TRUSTING that Cersei would abide be her word, is against everything we've ever been told about Tyrion. He's an amazing statesman, a great judge of people/character, and a man who knows his history. NOTHING about his knowledge of Cersei would have let him believe that she would honor that deal. Pretty much exactly what I said 3 weeks ago about this stupid plan - that she would just leave Jon and Dany to fight the Night King while she sits back and watches her enemies die and/or become weaker - came true. It's inconceivable that Tyrion wouldn't see through that or at the very least know that there is a STRONG likelihood that she won't honor the deal. The pregnancy revelation, to me, doesn't change that equation.

Now, to be fair, we don't quite know the end game here. Is Tyrion pulling a double cross somehow? Is he not trusting Cersei but playing along with her false promise for another reason? I guess we'll see.

2) Arya/Sansa - I mean, that's the worst part of the season. The fact that the writers believed that the audience would buy that there would be a rift between these two is downright offensive. They essentially asked us to believe that Arya and Sansa (and the audience) would disregard the prior 6 seasons and the experience they went through to get where they are now. We're supposed to throw all that out the window and believe that they're little kids again, bickering about kid s***. And unfortunately this wasn't a huge ruse to trick Littlefinger into believing that his comments to Sansa may actually work. No, Arya and Sansa really did have a rift. Sansa really did consider killing Arya. According to the actor that played Bran, there was a deleted scene involving Sansa finally realizing she could talk to Bran and see what was true/what was not, and that was what prevented her from going after Arya.

3) Littlefinger - obviously the death was what everyone wanted, but it was a season or two late, it had little emotional impact and it again reversed everything we learned about a character from the prior 6 seasons and even the advice Littlefinger was giving Sansa just last week - always keep your options open and make sure you know your enemy's plays before they do. And yet we're supposed to believe that he honestly though he could divide the Stark house after Bran and Arya returned? After his altercation with Jon? Please. His death should have been immediately after the battle of the bastards. Sansa should have called up what's his face from the Vale, explained what happened with his mom and had LF killed off RIGHT after he saved Sansa/Jon. At least then it would have been believable that LF didn't give himself an out. In the scenario that played out this season, LF should have left Winterfell for the protection of the Vale on at least two or three different occasions but he didn't because, what, love? Meh.

Now I could be misremembering this a little from the book, but I'm pretty sure they depicted the stuff between Sansa and the boy in the Vale in the show, i.e., that he loved her. So the knights of the Vale would have been loyal to Sansa, especially since LF was threatening the lords of the Vale.

4) Jaime - nothing they did was really terrible with him this season, but I think his decision to finally leave Cersei due to her lack of honor is a bit weak. He didn't leave her after she destroyed the sept, he didn't leave her after she pressed on with this unwinnable war vs dragons, but now that she didn't honor her pledge to fight the dead with Dany and Jon, that's the final straw? I mean, I buy it, but it's not the best way to get Jamie to the "good guys" side. And I feel like the show has flip flopped on Jaime being a good guy/bad guy so much anyway, who knows what we're supposed to think.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
Did I miss something or is there a new theory or history with him?

He's literally been around every significant event. And the Reed's were around the children apparently. I'm way down the rabbit hole.

In Storm Of Swords we learned from Meera that her father Howland spent time on the Isle of Faces in the God's Eye and trained there with the Children of the Forest and that he has special powers and is deeply connected with the Weirwood net. That consortium of collective conscious memory is hugely important to this story. That is the source of this story and of the White Walkers and maybe even magic as a whole.

The God's Eye is 2 concentric circles, which is a key symbol demonstrated by the Walker's and Children over and over again in this story. Dead bodies, organization of stones during ceremonies and the cave glyphs for example. It represents all seeing godly vision and the source of all. This key land feature is located right in the middle of Westeros, is extremely mystical and unknown, is where the pact between the warring Children and the First Men took place and is the heart of the Weirwood net.

Howland is a very central character to key events in this story. He was the impetus to the creation of the Knight of the Laughing Tree(Lyanna, imo) at the Tourney of Harrenhall which was the start of Robert's Rebellion when the Mad King's paranoia finally came to a head and where Lyanna and Reagar fell in love. As I said he is the only character to have been to and know the Isle of Faces and the Children. The Crannogmen are descendants of the Children. He was there at the Tower of Joy with Ned, killing the Sword of the Morning and the only other person to know who Jon the key character of this story really is. His children are the ones who helped Bran become the 3 Eyed Raven, who is now massively important to stopping the Night King and controlling the Weirwood net.

You dont have a character of this importance then have him remain mysterious and hidden during all these huge recent events for no reason. Why wasn't he there with Rob when the war of the 5 kings began? Why wasn't he there during and after the battle of the bastards when this hugely important time for the north was going down? I mean he was one of Ned's best friends yet he is completely absent? It's because he is back on the God's Eye preparing for the storm to come, he's playing the long game and knows what the real battle is going to be. He is clearly a end game player. The children created the Night King/White Walker's and they with their knowledge of the Wierwood net and magic know how to beat them. I think the Walkers are coming for the God's Eye and the Children their creators and that it is the key to their prophecy and their curse. I also think they know about the Azor Ahai prophecy and that the Night King might know it could be Jon or at least has some connection to Jon thru their Stark lineage. I don't think it's a coincidence they attacked HardHome right when Jon got there.