**SPOILER THREAD** GAME OF THRONES ** SPOILER THREAD **

TaylorStSox

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
Do we know Varys ends up in Meereen? Could he go back when he can't find Tyrion? They didn't re-introduce Kevan on the show for no reason, so I suspect something will still happen to him.

I agree on Kevan being brought back on the show for a reason. His role in the books is to restore order to House Lannister and reestablish their control of the Iron Throne after Cersei's disastrous rule. IMO, Kevan's death sets up Aegon's rise and Tommen's corresponding downfall. I guess you could substitute Dany for Aegon, but not only hasn't Varys met Dany yet but she's also not an immediate threat to the throne, which is why Varys kills Kevan & Pycelle when he does in the books (Aegon is on the cusp of invasion). Remove the importance of his death, and I'm not quite sure his character is needed on the show.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 10:53 PM)
Fair point, just not sure how season six will play out with so many important characters missing. Seems like Danny's invasion of Westeros will be one of the major plot points in the Winds of Winter. A weakened Lanister family doesn't seem like enough opposition. Aegon & Euron are poised to be two of her largest obstacles IMO and I find it hard to believe they be cut entirely.

One TV theory I've read is that Trystane Martell might be Aegon. While I personally don't like that idea for many reasons, it would make Doran's long-term plan much stronger than in the books and make Dorne an important part of season six. And given how the producers are trying to limit the amount of characters and storylines (see Sansa replacing fake Arya), I really could see this happening unfortunately. The good news is it would mean that Varys' motive would no longer be as simple as just being a "Targaryen" supporter, which is incredibly lazy and lacks any payoff IMO.

Doran's long term strategy was to double marry with the Targeryens basically backing up all claims to the throne with both a male and female heir.

And Vary's wasnt just a supporter, they saved and hid a huge branch of the Targeryen family.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
Victorion is pretty much confirmed out at this point. Dario happened to steal the exact same amount of Mereeneese ships on the show as the Ironborn sent towards Dany in the books.

Literally the opening of the new book is the HUGE war at Mereen with Victorion leading the way. It was supposed to be in the last book but it was pushed back. I cannot see the show skipping a giant battle.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 10:06 PM)
Literally the opening of the new book is the HUGE war at Mereen with Victorion leading the way. It was supposed to be in the last book but it was pushed back. I cannot see the show skipping a giant battle.

Unless they're saving it for next season, they're definitely skipping the Battle of Mereen. Too much big stuff already planned for episodes 8-10, and that's not including the battle of Winterfell, which might also be in play.

And quite frankly, with only 2 to 2.5 seasons of the show left, I don't think they can waste much more time with Dany in Essos. Her invasion of Westeros will be one of the central plots of season six and that story needs to begin fairly early in order to be effective.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 08:51 AM)
Unless they're saving it for next season, they're definitely skipping the Battle of Mereen. Too much big stuff already planned for episodes 8-10, and that's not including the battle of Winterfell, which might also be in play.

And quite frankly, with only 2 to 2.5 seasons of the show left, I don't think they can waste much more time with Dany in Essos. Her invasion of Westeros will be one of the central plots of season six and that story needs to begin fairly early in order to be effective.

But Dany isn't even close to invasion in the books. At present, it looks like if anything she may be recruiting herself a new khalasar, so that would still have to happen first. I know they say they want to be done in 7 seasons, but I really think they need to make it 8 to get everything that they should in.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 08:11 AM)
But Dany isn't even close to invasion in the books. At present, it looks like if anything she may be recruiting herself a new khalasar, so that would still have to happen first. I know they say they want to be done in 7 seasons, but I really think they need to make it 8 to get everything that they should in.

The show doesn't need to wait for the books. The contracts are signed. It's 7 years.

I'll eat my hat if Aegon is actually a Targ.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 08:54 AM)
The show doesn't need to wait for the books. The contracts are signed. It's 7 years.

I'll eat my hat if Aegon is actually a Targ.

Which hat?

I absolutely despise the fact the show has to change so much of the story. I just love the books so much.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 09:22 AM)
Which hat?

I absolutely despise the fact the show has to change so much of the story. I just love the books so much.

All of them. I never believed it while reading the books.

The show has to make changes because books 4 and 5 are, for the most part, bad. They're poorly paced. They read like Martin has no idea about how to get the characters to their destination. He just pointlessly writes and writes and writes.

I kind of get that with book 4, but disagree about book 5. I think he realized that introducing major characters that far into the series required more writing/background on them. Personally, book 5 had some of the more interesting storylines.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)
I kind of get that with book 4, but disagree about book 5. I think he realized that introducing major characters that far into the series required more writing/background on them. Personally, book 5 had some of the more interesting storylines.

I enjoyed Jon Show, Arya and Selmy's chapters in ADWD, about half the book.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)

I liked them both because I feel like he was setting up the ultimate ending two books from then. The earlier "major" characters were setting things into motion while the latter were bringing it to conclusion.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:11 AM)
I enjoyed Jon Show, Arya and Selmy's chapters in ADWD, about half the book.

Well I really enjoyed the Greyjoy and Martell storylines, I know you've mentioned you didn't like Quentyn but I thought it was great. And the Griff/young Griff/Tyrion parts had a ton in them.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
I liked them both because I feel like he was setting up the ultimate ending two books from then. The earlier "major" characters were setting things into motion while the latter were bringing it to conclusion.

I've reread book 4 (well pretty much all of them) and really liked it the 2nd time, just tons of information there that kinda goes unnoticed because everyone is typically in shock/awe of book 3 still when they are reading it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 11:37 AM)
I've reread book 4 (well pretty much all of them) and really liked it the 2nd time, just tons of information there that kinda goes unnoticed because everyone is typically in shock/awe of book 3 still when they are reading it.

Yeah my re-reads are what make the series incredible to me, you catch so much more stuff that you probably fired through.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 08:11 AM)

You're right, but Winds should be roughly the same size as Storm of Swords and that required two seasons. My guess is that they'll end up doing the majority of Winds in season six and split A Dream of Spring and any remaining Winds story into two partial seasons (similar to Sopranos) that will end up being about 1.5 seasons in length.

This means plots will need to be thinned-out and accelerated. Dany really needs to settle her story in Essos early next season for her invasion to be given the amount of screen-time it deserves. I think the ultimate end-game of the overarching plot is the fight against the Others, so Dany being firmly established as Queen of Westeros (assuming they go that route) needs to be place by the start of season 7 for that plot to be most effective.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 4, 2015 -> 07:53 AM)
What. the. f***.

Barristan is dead? Really?

Apparently a bunch of dudes wearing sheets armed with knives is enough to kill multiple Unsullied and one of the greatest knights to ever live. So much for combat training!

What I will say, is that I did love that they threw in some pre-show lore with the Tourney at Harrenhall and Selmy's story about Rhaegar. Late in the story to finally get there, but I like that they discussed it. They didn't do the story's for a reason. They are trying to bring sympathy to Rhaegar and discussing Lyanna is important for when they make the big parentage reveal.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 4, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
Apparently a bunch of dudes wearing sheets armed with knives is enough to kill multiple Unsullied and one of the greatest knights to ever live. So much for combat training!

They had a lot of dudes and weren't doing the typical "ok let's attack him one at a time" garbage most tv/movie henchmen do.

Still, kinda lame death for Selmy

Ok...I'm going to suggest spoiler tags in this thread. You can all tell me I am crazy but I think at least the book related stuff should be in spoilers. That way, people like me who watch the show, can come in here and post without having to be worried about seeing stuff related to books which hasn't happened yet. If it is more a post about something that happened in tv and was just different than that part in the book, that is fine, but stuff about what it might mean given what you know in future books should be spoilered, imo.

Anyway, you can all tell me I am crazy and than I'll just stay out of here but as currently constructed I can't come on and read about my favorite show and talk about the episode that happened.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 4, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
Ok...I'm going to suggest spoiler tags in this thread. You can all tell me I am crazy but I think at least the book related stuff should be in spoilers. That way, people like me who watch the show, can come in here and post without having to be worried about seeing stuff related to books which hasn't happened yet. If it is more a post about something that happened in tv and was just different than that part in the book, that is fine, but stuff about what it might mean given what you know in future books should be spoilered, imo.

Anyway, you can all tell me I am crazy and than I'll just stay out of here but as currently constructed I can't come on and read about my favorite show and talk about the episode that happened.

This is literally a spoilers thread.