**SPOILER THREAD** GAME OF THRONES ** SPOILER THREAD **

TaylorStSox

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
I'm just enjoying it. The conversations had walking toward the dead were worth the commitment the series has been for me alone. The Brienne conversation and making monster babies? s***, that was perfect.

The banter between the Magnificent Seven was perfect.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 09:00 AM)
I do agree that the rushed ending of these last 2 seasons is making characters like Bran wasted. He could be doing so much in the show to further plot lines, give history (and some really good stuff too) but instead every scene with him thus far has been wasted. Besides making Littlefinger uncomfortable, he's done nothing this season. Maybe that changes in the finale.

I'm interested to see how this meet goes with Cersei. Even with the combined armies (like how much help does Cersei really provide anyways) I'm not sure how the army of the dead loses with the ability to take down dragons and now having a dragon. Sam, Qyburn, someone will probably come up with a just in time fix is my guess at this point.

Yeah, I'm not entirely clear on the strategy with Cersei. Like, they need a cease fire so Dany + dragons can look North, but Dany could just do what Stannis did and, you know, go North. An actual battle with the army of the dead doesn't work unless and until you get to the Night King. Right now, any losses by the army of dead are offset by any losses in life on the side of men being raised as wights. What value does Cersei bring to the table (other than maybe the mad genius of Qyburn?).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
I'm just enjoying it. The conversations had walking toward the dead were worth the commitment the series has been for me alone. The Brienne conversation and making monster babies? s***, that was perfect.

See, this part is entertaining but also what has bothered me about the show this season. They are way too self aware of conversation around show. The joke about Gendry rowing, the diving into Tormund and Brienne, it's a lot of "haha, we know you guys were joking about this, wink wink"

Which reminds me so much of comic book movies and the kind of shallow fan service that makes you feel like you liked the film but then forget everything about it hours later. It's empty calories.

I enjoyed last night's episode, but it just is riding on all of the work done seasons ago now. Due to nothing recently, I actually felt like the night king could have killed Dany and Jon takes over the dragons. But then I came to my senses. They are too scared now to kill Bronn. Too scared to kill Jorah. It's just a comic book movie now, people are supposedly dying but no one is in danger.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
Yeah, I'm not entirely clear on the strategy with Cersei. Like, they need a cease fire so Dany + dragons can look North, but Dany could just do what Stannis did and, you know, go North. An actual battle with the army of the dead doesn't work unless and until you get to the Night King. Right now, any losses by the army of dead are offset by any losses in life on the side of men being raised as wights. What value does Cersei bring to the table (other than maybe the mad genius of Qyburn?).

Well now they at least know to focus on the white walkers. Those suckers didn't just die around him they dusted.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 08:13 AM)
See, this part is entertaining but also what has bothered me about the show this season. They are way too self aware of conversation around show. The joke about Gendry rowing, the diving into Tormund and Brienne, it's a lot of "haha, we know you guys were joking about this, wink wink"

Which reminds me so much of comic book movies and the kind of shallow fan service that makes you feel like you liked the film but then forget everything about it hours later. It's empty calories.

I enjoyed last night's episode, but it just is riding on all of the work done seasons ago now. Due to nothing recently, I actually felt like the night king could have killed Dany and Jon takes over the dragons. But then I came to my senses. They are too scared now to kill Bronn. Too scared to kill Jorah. It's just a comic book movie now, people are supposedly dying but no one is in danger.

You completely nailed it. I'm feeling the same way this season.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)
Well now they at least know to focus on the white walkers. Those suckers didn't just die around him they dusted.

I was confused about this part:

So Jon kills one of the main guys (too easily, btw) and a bunch of the wights vaporize. Conveniently, one doesn't which allows the group to take it as a prisoner. Jon later theorizes that if you kill one of the main guys, all of the wights that were created by him will die. Ok, so that explains why the one wight didn't vaporize.

Later the Night King "creates" the white walker dragon by touching it. Again, there's an act by one of the main guys that "creates" the dead being.

But didn't they establish earlier in the series that simply dying north of The Wall was enough to create a wight? The one that attacked Jon at Castle Black, for example? And wasn't this idea further established when Jon tells the group they have to burn Thoros so he doesn't turn?

So, what's the answer here? Are wights "created" by the main bad guys or are they created once the animal/person dies north of The Wall?

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)
But didn't they establish earlier in the series that simply dying north of The Wall was enough to create a wight? The one that attacked Jon at Castle Black, for example? And wasn't this idea further established when Jon tells the group they have to burn Thoros so he doesn't turn?

So, what's the answer here? Are wights "created" by the main bad guys or are they created once the animal/person dies north of The Wall?

My thought here is simply by leaving a dead body lying around, you give the White Walkers a chance to come reanimate the body. By burning the body, there will be nothing left to reanimate, so to speak.

One thing I've personally enjoyed was Beric and Thoros were my favorite characters from the books and they got a ton of screen time. I always thought it was so bad ass that they were out looking for the Mountain for years based on Ned's orders, even though the politics had changed so much over that time.

Also, even the source material got bad towards the end. Dance isn't good. It really isn't. Lady Stoneheart is bad. I rolled my eyes at unMountain. The Quentin story was pointless and boring. I seriously thought about skipping the Aegon/Jon Connington plotline.

With that said, Dany/Dragons ex machina is already incredibly tired and this last episode might have been the worst the show has ever made.

Some of the theory makes sense, but to me the most convincing part of him NOT being the NK is that they haven't spent anytime on Bran and that potential reveal. That seems way to big at this point to not have more flashbacks with him doing those things (like the whispering to Aegon and such).

But it was interesting and wouldn't be surprised if parts of it do occur.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 06:51 AM)
This episode was so bad. I absolutely love this show, but I can't get over how bad that episode was.

1) First of all, the plan to capture a wight was dumb from the start

2) So it took the group a couple days to find the wights, correct? But then Gendry ran back to the wall in what, hours?

3) Random wight walking party just out scouting? Then they kill the white walker and the wights day except, conveniently, just one of them?

4) How convenient was that raised elevation rock in the middle of that frozen lake?

5) So the wights just surrounded the group for what, 2-3 days? Or was it just hours? But then when they had rocks thrown at them (with ridiculously incredible aim) they decided "oh s*** son, no they're asking for it, ATTACK!"

6) Fastest raven ever. That raven made record time from the wall to dragonstone

7) Props to the dragons for their speed in getting to the North as well

8) Random baddies pop up out of the water just at the right time only when Tormund happens to be right at the edge.

9) Jon fell into water in freezing temperatures. That should kill you in minutes, if not hours. But thankfully to the fastest horse ever he makes it back to the wall. Phew.

10) Oh, hi Benjen! Oh, bye Benjen!

Came here to post this myself. Seven seasons in, and I still have trouble remembering people's names.

The only thing I'll add is that I don't understand why Benjen didn't hop on the horse and ride away with Jon. Does he turn into a WW now? If so, will he (and th dragon) still have a bit of good in them and turn on the Night King at a key point and save Jon/Dany?

"Why did some character do something stupid or completely against the nature of their character as established in the previous six seasons?"

Because the writers are bad and are just using the plot as a way to get from big set piece to big set piece. Gotta agree with everything jenks said.

Just going to enjoy the rest of the series as a comic book movie form of entertainment (fun, exciting action with a loose 'plot' and the major characters never really in danger) rather than what it was in seasons 1-3 or 4.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 10:39 PM)
Came here to post this myself. Seven seasons in, and I still have trouble remembering people's names.

The only thing I'll add is that I don't understand why Benjen didn't hop on the horse and ride away with Jon. Does he turn into a WW now? If so, will he (and th dragon) still have a bit of good in them and turn on the Night King at a key point and save Jon/Dany?

Your last paragraph terrifies me because that would be "the alternate universe is just heaven!" level bad ending for me.

Maybe someone already mentioned this but the army of dead doesn't seem very scary anymore. Jon and his 5 or 6 friends literally killed a few hundred of them without suffering a single casualty. I guess you can count Benjen although those were odd circumstances. Still scratching my head as to why he didn't jump on the horse as well.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
The banter between the Magnificent Seven was perfect.

Yeah...that was great banter. I enjoyed it...I do think they are rushing the pace too much, but if they dragged it out over more episodes, a bunch of people would probably complain (I'm not one of those people). They had a lot to cover in 2 seasons, but I also understand that the actors probably want to do new projects, etc.