John Danks

beautox

link With Wainwright out likely the rest of the season and ruben amaro jr unlikely to budge on the price of Hamels there could be a potential fit. There isn't much in the Cards farm system that speaks to the sox weakness right now seeing how our system is top heavy on pitching, but they do have one competitive balance pick that would go along way in helping us in this draft; Pick #39 with a pool slot of $1,585,400. Makes a lot of sense since the sox don't pick again till 112 after our first round selection of at 8. Edited by beautox

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good ol' Phil Rogers. The White Sox might as well put a sign out front of USCF that states "free to a not so good home" with John Danks picture on it.

Of course STL would get him and turn him back into a good pitcher, because that is what happens to any P who goes to STL.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 03:47 PM)
Its not impossible he gets traded, but no way the Sox get something as valuable as a comp/balance pick. More like they have to ship some money with him and still get just a roll-the-dice A-ball reliever.

It is either that or pick up another bad contract in return.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 03:33 PM)
I don't see STL giving up pick #39 for Danks.

The dodgers esentially just paid 2.75m for the 74th pick from the O's in the Ryan Webb deal. Here are two really good resources on the recent value of a draft pick here and here. If the sox pick up some of Dank's contract I don't think the 39th pick is out of the question.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 03:39 PM)
If only this wasn't Phil Rogers...

I agree but even though it is Phil, the cards are going to have to find someone to give them reliable innings in Waino's spot.

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 03:51 PM)
The dodgers esentially just paid 2.75m for the 74th pick from the O's in the Ryan Webb deal. Here are two really good resources on the recent value of a draft pick here and here. If the sox pick up some of Dank's contract I don't think the 39th pick is out of the question.

I agree but even though it is Phil, the cards are going to have to find someone to give them reliable innings in Waino's spot.

Danks will give you reliable innings... You can rely on them to be bad.

We have nobody to replace him with. John Danks may not win you a game all by his lonesome, but he's been giving QS and with the new bullpen 3 ER in 6 IP is just fine thank you. If they want to get Rodon a couple starts, seeing how that goes, then shipping Danks I'm more receptive.

Danks would do well for himself in the NL, not a world beater but a decent guy to have in the rotation. You dont just leap at the first buyer, see if a market can develop for a guy that wont cost much to get but could be decent.

there is no way Danks is going no where, esp with his salary. if the Angels had to pick up what of Hamilton's salary, can you imagine how much the sox will have to eat.

now if they add a secondary player to add to the mix to entice Stl, then who can it be.

either way, Danks is the sox's property until his contract is up.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 04:00 PM)
there is no way Danks is going no where, esp with his salary. if the Angels had to pick up what of Hamilton's salary, can you imagine how much the sox will have to eat.

now if they add a secondary player to add to the mix to entice Stl, then who can it be.

either way, Danks if the sox's property until his contract is up.

Danks and Hamilton? how is that remotely comparable? last i checked John is actually out there throwing productive innings and doesn't have a substance abuse problem.

Isn't Jaime Garcia coming back for them soon? Also they have 2 or three options in the minors. Cardinals aren't hurt as mush as most other teams would be with their number 1 being shelved. It stings, but if any team in this league were to get over that, it's them. I'd like to see Marco come up...not sure what their view on that is though LOL

Edited by onedude

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
Danks and Hamilton? how is that remotely comparable? last i checked John is actually out there throwing productive innings and doesn't have a substance abuse problem.

Productive? Hardly. He hasn't had an ERA+ of 90, or FIP under 4.00 since 2011. His 2015 number is actually less than his ERA+ of 2014, Even his FIP stands are 4.90 this season. Don't let the strike outs from yesterday fool you. John Danks is still a bad pitcher.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 03:53 PM)
We have nobody to replace him with. John Danks may not win you a game all by his lonesome, but he's been giving QS and with the new bullpen 3 ER in 6 IP is just fine thank you. If they want to get Rodon a couple starts, seeing how that goes, then shipping Danks I'm more receptive.

Danks would do well for himself in the NL, not a world beater but a decent guy to have in the rotation. You dont just leap at the first buyer, see if a market can develop for a guy that wont cost much to get but could be decent.

How anyone can praise Danks is beyond me, he is bad wait till weather heats up 4 hr allowed a game coming soon. Rodon and others can pitch with a era near 5.00

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 10:06 PM)
Productive? Hardly. He hasn't had an ERA+ of 90, or FIP under 4.00 since 2011. His 2015 number is actually less than his ERA+ of 2014, Even his FIP stands are 4.90 this season. Don't let the strike outs from yesterday fool you. John Danks is still a bad pitcher.

Along with the very likely scenario there's no spot in the rotation for him next year.

I'm not praising the guy. The White Sox aren't going to have a team of 13 Chris Sale's and 12 Jose Abreu's. A guy like Danks who gives the team a chance to win with a decent enough game has a role, I'm not enthusiastically awaiting his starts but I'm also not just burying the guy. It can get worse, people. It can get so much worse.

QUOTE (onedude @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
Isn't Jaime Garcia coming back for them soon? Also they have 2 or three options in the minors. Cardinals aren't hurt as mush as most other teams would be with their number 1 being shelved. It stings, but if any team in this league were to get over that, it's them. I'd like to see Marco come up...not sure what their view on that is though LOL

No, he's a long ways from coming back and probably will never be the same.

Marco Gonzales is much closer to coming back, but has the always-difficult pectoral injury to recover from...at least 2-3 weeks away, probably.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 10:25 PM)
I'm not praising the guy. The White Sox aren't going to have a team of 13 Chris Sale's and 12 Jose Abreu's. A guy like Danks who gives the team a chance to win with a decent enough game has a role, I'm not enthusiastically awaiting his starts but I'm also not just burying the guy. It can get worse, people. It can get so much worse.

Actually, he's been just about the worst starter in the AL over the last two seasons. If they can get rid of him and save some money, it would be a win-win.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 03:25 PM)

Well, of course....we saw that last year with Rienzo, Axelrod, Carroll and Johnson.

That's still NOT THE SAME as he's anything but very much below average. Someone will come here and say that's among the "qualified" guys and there are many other starters who are worse.

Sure, that's true, but it doesn't mean he isn't a problem or drag on the team's ability to be competitive, any more than those same spot starters / long men / AAAA guys aren't issues to overcome for their respective teams.

Quality depth, it's hard to come by, unless you're the Nationals, Tigers (seems like most of their replacements overperform expectations, like Lobstein) or A's.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)

Really it doesn't much worse. Stat after stat has ranked John Danks as one of the worst full time starting pitchers in all of baseball for a few years now. It also changes when you have Carlos Rodon waiting for his job.

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 09:03 PM)

he is coming into this season having performed ahh not too good the last couple of seasons. i rather wait a couple of more games, like until ASG to determine how he is doing.

remember i have been spouting since last yr, i am and still a fan of his. but i still can see the truth.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
Well, of course....we saw that last year with Rienzo, Axelrod, Carroll and Johnson.

That's still NOT THE SAME as he's anything but very much below average. Someone will come here and say that's among the "qualified" guys and there are many other starters who are worse.

Sure, that's true, but it doesn't mean he isn't a problem or drag on the team's ability to be competitive, any more than those same spot starters / long men / AAAA guys aren't issues to overcome for their respective teams.

Quality depth, it's hard to come by, unless you're the Nationals, Tigers (seems like most of their replacements overperform expectations, like Lobstein) or A's.

Carroll's ERA + of 80 last year is actually better than John Danks current mark of 73. Danks mark last year was 81. Carroll's 2014 FIP was 4.77. Danks was 4.76 in 2014, and 4.90 in 2015.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 09:30 PM)

and then re: Danks, you will have to talk about his salary / contract.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 09:37 PM)
Again, suitable replacement presents itself that allows the Sox to skip Danks and I'm all about it. But until I see that guy I'm not ready to just go with a random-ass 5th starter.

I want to see Rodon pitch a couple more times just to make sure the walks aren't a problem.

oh don't forget the savior of the pen in the minors, lets see, what is his name..... oh Penny. :angry:

bull s*** move getting him.