John Danks

beautox

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
Phil Rogers actually did this with the Youkilis trade. It's the only time I can remember where it actually comes to fruition though.

He has called a few obvious ones, like Matt Thornton to Boston

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He (Bailey) hasn't had TWO TJ surgeries.You guys are all a part of that WSI groupthink. Trading for a guy who's out for over a year, will have had two TJ surgeries and is owed almost 90 million IS the right move.

Let's get our facts straight.

He had a problem with his flexor tendon (near his elbow) and had surgery last SEPT, which was expected to allow him to return in April.

In 2010, he had some shoulder issues/discomfort, but no surgery at that time.

Ptac surely will feel there's probably a connection between the flexor tendon repair and then having an elbow ligament go within the span of 6-7 months...but he's not a Kris Medlen or Daniel Hudson case either.

And nobody is part of any groupthink. In order to get talent back, you've got to take a calculated risk sometimes. It won't happen anyway...just speculating on the type of return and the financials of any type of Danks move.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
He (Bailey) hasn't had TWO TJ surgeries.

Let's get our facts straight.

He had a problem with his flexor tendon (near his elbow) and had surgery last SEPT, which was expected to allow him to return in April.

In 2010, he had some shoulder issues/discomfort, but no surgery at that time.

Ptac surely will feel there's probably a connection between the flexor tendon repair and then having an elbow ligament go within the span of 6-7 months...but he's not a Kris Medlen or Daniel Hudson case either.

You are correct. The two surgeries are not for the same tissue but the etiologies are the same. Same principle applies. He had one surgery for the elbow and needs another. He obviously is not willing to change whatever is causing his elbow issues. I would not trade for him because he most likely is going to have continued elbow issues.

In a season where the Sox are actually trying to get to the playoffs, they'd be left needing to count on 30 plus good starts from Noesi and 20 plus from Rodon while he is on an innings limit. They'd be an injury away from putting Scott Carrol in the starting rotation. It would be idiotic.

What they have now allows them to, down the road, limit the innings of whoever isn't getting it done out of Danks/Noesi without spending all of Rodon's innings before the season ends.

Is Danks really pitching that bad this year? His first start wasn't good but that KC team was very hot and no one looked good against them on our staff. His 2nd start was bad yes. His last 2 against the same teams his first 2 were against 4.50 era, 1.16 WHIP with 12 k's. I think that's pretty solid for a 4 or 5 starter.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 03:50 PM)
In a season where the Sox are actually trying to get to the playoffs, they'd be left needing to count on 30 plus good starts from Noesi and 20 plus from Rodon while he is on an innings limit. They'd be an injury away from putting Scott Carrol in the starting rotation. It would be idiotic.

What they have now allows them to, down the road, limit the innings of whoever isn't getting it done out of Danks/Noesi without spending all of Rodon's innings before the season ends.

If you're already prepared to write off Erik Johnson, Beck and assume Montas can't contribute anything this season.

At any rate, was just trying to think outside the box. Just more of an intellectual exercise. Nothing we say here matters in the overall scheme of things, of course. It's just for fun. Maybe my intention was to rally support to John Danks because I felt sympathy for DA getting picked on such much the last couple of weeks, lol.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 05:09 PM)
Is Danks really pitching that bad this year? His first start wasn't good but that KC team was very hot and no one looked good against them on our staff. His 2nd start was bad yes. His last 2 against the same teams his first 2 were against 4.50 era, 1.16 WHIP with 12 k's. I think that's pretty solid for a 4 or 5 starter.

He's 99th out of 114 qualified MLB starters in ERA. (Quintana is 108th).

OTOH, and DA will love this....he's 69th in WHIP, with Quintana at 94th. This means we're about to get a post arguing that Danks is really a #3 starter and earning every cent of his money, and blah blah there were the same number of starts made by other non-qualified starters with WORSE statistics than John Danks as the possible combinations (a LONG number with 18 zeroes) of ENIGMA CODE hits.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/order/true

Noesi would be tied with J. Zimmermann for 22nd worst ERA at 5.23. Of course, Carlos Rodon didn't help his (Hector's) cause by allowing all of his inherited runners to score last time out.

Noesi's 1.45 WHIP is worse than Danks by about 0.1

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 04:38 PM)
Or Chris Young. Or Jason Kipnis. Or Cliff Floyd.

Former high school and professional patient of mine. He was always an OF. The Expos tried to make him a 1b and I think it was Todd Hundley who ran into his wrist and shattered it. I was convinced he would never hit well again. He worked hard and we got him back. Still one of my most shocked recoveries of all time.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 09:27 PM)
Former high school and professional patient of mine. He was always an OF. The Expos tried to make him a 1b and I think it was Todd Hundley who ran into his wrist and shattered it. I was convinced he would never hit well again. He worked hard and we got him back. Still one of my most shocked recoveries of all time.

That's pretty cool. I shocked my surgeon at the 2 week mark from duel patellar tendon ruptures by walking into his office without crutches. Almost 5 months for me now and it's such a slow recovery. Slower than even ACL tears. There are 5-10 cases of dual ruptures every year in the US just my luck I got them both out of the way at the same time. I can jog and s*** now but cutting is still out of the question for another couple months and it will be a year he told me before I fully should start feeling "normal" when playing sports. I got lucky and had a well known ortho surgeon in Seattle do the repairs. He's part of a a team that works with a lot of Seahawks.

I've been going balls out in my rehab 5-6 times a week ever since I got injured. Recovery can def be influenced by the athlete's willingness to work in addition to a good surgical repair.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 08:32 PM)
That's pretty cool. I shocked my surgeon at the 2 week mark from duel patellar tendon ruptures by walking into his office without crutches. Almost 5 months for me now and it's such a slow recovery. Slower than even ACL tears. There are 5-10 cases of dual ruptures every year in the US just my luck I got them both out of the way at the same time. I can jog and s*** now but cutting is still out of the question for another couple months and it will be a year he told me before I fully should start feeling "normal" when playing sports. I got lucky and had a well known ortho surgeon in Seattle do the repairs. He's part of a a team that works with a lot of Seahawks.

I've been going balls out in my rehab 5-6 times a week ever since I got injured. Recovery can def be influenced by the athlete's willingness to work in addition to a good surgical repair.

Holy crap! How did you rupture both? I've never seen that. It is a tougher rehab than ACL due to the contractile nature of the tissue. Good Luck.

LOL.

Injury thread updates for Soxtalk posters.

I could have sworn I had a stress fracture of the tibia (on the right outside side, maybe 3-4 inches up from the ankle) and that it wasn't showing up on the x-rays (probably needed a bone scan or MRI, but haven't gone back again).

Playing badminton very 2-3 hours per night 4-5 days or nights per week after no strenuous physical activity for 5 months at age 45.

One night the first time it started to hurt, I wrapped it very tightly with medical tape (thought it was anterior constrainment?) and it was fine until sharp pains the next night that I thought meant it had to be broken, a stress fracture or at the very least shin splints.

Thought it might be caused by not wearing specially-designed badminton court shoes...always wear Nike running shoes (lightweight) and never stretch before playing like I should.

Now it's about two weeks and the pain has subsided about 90-95% and I feel close to ready to play...as a cross country runner and soccer player growing up, I never had shin splints so I'm not sure how to differentiate between that, a stress fracture, that ACM thing and just my own idea that the tendon/muscle has a tear/strain (or has torn away from a bone slightly) and that the only method to get better is not playing badminton or basketball for at least two weeks.

When I flex it up and down "vertically" there's still a little pain but nothing like two weeks ago. But it's the area (lower shin/ankle) that I really messed up five months ago when I landed off balance when I jumped in the air and felt acute pain on both sides of the ankle simultaneously...which bothered me for the next 4-5 months until maybe the end of March.

Edited by caulfield12

I think you just violated HIPPA.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 08:56 PM)
LOL.

Injury thread updates for Soxtalk posters.

I could have sworn I had a stress fracture of the tibia (on the right outside side, maybe 3-4 inches up from the ankle) and that it wasn't showing up on the x-rays (probably needed a bone scan or MRI, but haven't gone back again).

Playing badminton very 2-3 hours per night 4-5 days or nights per week after no strenuous physical activity for 5 months at age 45.

One night the first time it started to hurt, I wrapped it very tightly with medical tape (thought it was anterior constrainment?) and it was fine until sharp pains the next night that I thought meant it had to be broken, a stress fracture or at the very least shin splints.

Thought it might be caused by not wearing specially-designed badminton court shoes...always wear Nike running shoes (lightweight) and never stretch before playing like I should.

Now it's about two weeks and the pain has subsided about 90-95% and I feel close to ready to play...as a cross country runner and soccer player growing up, I never had shin splints so I'm not sure how to differentiate between that, a stress fracture, that ACM thing and just my own idea that the tendon/muscle has a tear/strain (or has torn away from a bone slightly) and that the only method to get better is not playing badminton or basketball for at least two weeks.

When I flex it up and down "vertically" there's still a little pain but nothing like two weeks ago. But it's the area (lower shin/ankle) that I really messed up five months ago when I landed off balance when I jumped in the air and felt acute pain on both sides of the ankle simultaneously...which bothered me for the next 4-5 months until maybe the end of March.

If it hurts when you move your foot into dorsiflexion and plantarflexion without weight on it, it is not a stress fracture. It is a "shin splint" which mean something along the shin hurts. If it's the inside of the tibia, it's most likely the posterior tibialis tendon, in front of the tibia anterior tibialis. Go to a sporting goods store and get soft stability orthotics for your shoes.

Never passively stretch prior to athletic activity. It just increases your chance for injury.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
A dr's opinion is not the same as the actual records being released.

As someone who works with medical information in my job, I can tell you this is not a violation.

Releasing the name and injury of a patient to the public seems like it would be a violation.

But i'll take it. :)