John Danks

beautox

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hold out hope that Danks can be moved by pitching respectably over the next several starts, in combination with injury related needs that arise: Wainright, BMac, etc. And Erik Johnson's resurgence is making me more confident that this is something they should do as soon as such opportunity arises.

He's having another strong day in Charlotte. Tiny sample sizes, yes, but the scouting reports seem to back up a return of his stuff. It was only 13 months ago that we all pretty much had the guy penciled in as a MOR.

They're not going to save all of the ~$26M JD is owed from today, by any means, but things just might be coming together nicely.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 08:23 AM)
If it hurts when you move your foot into dorsiflexion and plantarflexion without weight on it, it is not a stress fracture. It is a "shin splint" which mean something along the shin hurts. If it's the inside of the tibia, it's most likely the posterior tibialis tendon, in front of the tibia anterior tibialis. Go to a sporting goods store and get soft stability orthotics for your shoes.

Never passively stretch prior to athletic activity. It just increases your chance for injury.

It's the right lower outside....so definitely not the posterior tibialis, I looked up all the diagrams and that stretches from the outside across the bone to the front/inside (right?)

Is it normal to have shin splints in just one leg?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
It's the right lower outside....so definitely not the posterior tibialis, I looked up all the diagrams and that stretches from the outside across the bone to the front/inside (right?)

Have you considered having a doctor look at it?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)

Yes, it's common. It's most likely the anterior tib then. Get the soft orthotics for your shos and it will remove much of the stress.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 11:46 AM)
Have you considered having a doctor look at it?

I did (almost two weeks ago)....x-rays showed no stress fracture, but you really need a bone scan or MRI to be 100% sure.

That said, with the pain lessening by the day, and Ptac's explanation, I feel 99% confident no return to the hospital is necessary in this particular case.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
I did (almost two weeks ago)....x-rays showed no stress fracture, but you really need a bone scan or MRI to be 100% sure.

That said, with the pain lessening by the day, and Ptac's explanation, I feel 99% confident no return to the hospital is necessary in this particular case.

An X-ray will show a stress reaction (the new and appropriate term is tress reaction as it's not really a fracture more like a crack) at about 4-6 post injury when the callus starts to form.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 05:20 AM)
I'd trade him to the Cardinals for some scouts, execs or people from the instructional leagues. They seem to do a lot of things right in baseball.

i will trade him to stl for the #39 comp pick and a hitting coach for the minor league.

btw, i am serious about the comp pick. do like LA is doing to acquire comp picks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
What is the relevance?

The same relevance as Gavin Floyd is the new poster child for why TJ surgery is ineffective.

Actually, your provided example is much less relevant, because Harvey has more in common with Hoffman, Fedde, Giolito, Matuella, etc., since those pitchers are all quite young and havent had their arms (initially) put back together with screws and bolts.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
The same relevance as Gavin Floyd is the new poster child for why TJ surgery is ineffective.

Actually, your provided example is much less relevant, because Harvey has more in common with Hoffman, Fedde, Giolito, Matuella, etc., since those pitchers are all quite young and havent had their arms (initially) put back together with screws and bolts.

Woh this is for your Homer Bailey idea, where even the trainer said you were wrong. In an effort not to pay John Danks, you would rather pay Homer Bailey to rehab and then after 2 elbow surgeries and 3 partial seasons, be on the hook to him , a guy who has only posted a WAR above 2.7 once in his career, $63 million for 3 seasons.

They probably won't even let you GM a fantasy league. It would be stealimg your money.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
Woh this is for your Homer Bailey idea, where even the trainer said you were wrong. In an effort not to pay John Danks, you would rather pay Homer Bailey to rehab and then after 2 elbow surgeries and 3 partial seasons, be on the hook to him , a guy who has only posted a WAR above 2.7 once in his career, $63 million for 3 seasons.

They probably won't even let you GM a fantasy league. It would be stealimg your money.

You're right, because the $28 million in savings I created for Hahn In 2015 and 2016 would just wasted on Melky, LaRoche and Bonifacio buyouts.

Oh, and paying Ventura not to manage as well.

Greg should be GM and you can be his pitching coach. That would create some cost savings.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2015 -> 12:59 PM)
You're right, because the $28 million in savings I created for Hahn In 2015 and 2016 would just wasted on Melky, LaRoche and Bonifacio buyouts.

Oh, and paying Ventura not to manage as well.

Greg should be GM and you can be his pitching coach. That would create some cost savings.

There is no savings. Homer Bailey still gets paid. He is owed $86 million.LOL.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 3, 2015 -> 09:55 PM)
Danks would be a minor league invite guy if he wasn't on such a big contract. There's no value in keeping him on the roster. He's a sunk cost. Time to move on.

how, with his contract and performance.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
There is no savings. Homer Bailey still gets paid. He is owed $86 million.LOL.

Because if you actually took the time to read what I wrote/proposed, the White Sox wouldn't pay anything for Danks for the remainder of 2015 and 2016.

Hence, $28 million "created" to spend to fix holes elsewhere...with the idea you're signing Homer Bailey as a free agent to join the club in May or June or 2016.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensa...incinnati-reds/

I also said the Reds were going to pay the buyout for 2020, $5 million.

So the White Sox don't pay Danks $28 million for 2015-16.

The White Sox have to pay Bailey $89.3 million for 2015-19.

Actually, they would REALLY be paying Homer Bailey $61.3 million for 2016-17-18-19, four years, about $15.5 million per season (escalating).

It's risky, but paying Danks $28 million for the next two seasons is even dumber. At least this way, you get an asset back, and 2015 is almost becoming irrelevant at this point anyway.

So you have:

Sale

Quintana

Rodon

Bailey

Noesi/Montas/Johnson/Danish/possible first round collegiate pitcher

All under control at least through 2019.

If the medicals all check out and team feels confident he'll perform more like Harvey than Gavin Floyd. If not, pass.

Of course, unless you prefer to pay Jeff Samardzija $22.5 million for five years instead. And not clear Danks from the roster, but instead prefer him to be an obstacle for the team and front office going forward.

Edited by caulfield12