Sox/O's postponed again for 4/28.

MHizzle85

I'm not certain that MLB needs to get "facts out there" in this situation. They should be exploring multiple options, listing them just adds to the uncertainty and speculation. The leadership should be internal.

Let's look at unintended consequences of a couple options.

The O's forfeit the series.

Next time, teams will fight to play games in this situation potentially placing fans and players in a dangerous situation.

Play the games in Washington, Chicago, anywhere there is an empty stadium.

Deep economic loss to the area. Remember how MLB owners argue that a stadium adds to much to the local economy? They can't have it both ways, losing a home game has the opposite affect.

Teams shouldn't be punished for doing the right thing especially when it involves the health and safety of players and fans.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
The fact that not only have 0 of 2 games been played, but also they have no plans to play any games tells me that the ball was not only dropped, but kicked into the sewer.

They havent made a public statement of what their plans are as far as I can tell. I would like to know what and why like everyone else.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:30 PM)
Has a MLB game been played at a venue with only 7000 seats (assume modern times, like after 1950).

The Oakland A's played the first 16 games of the 1996 season at Cashman Field in Las Vegas - capacity 9334 (over 12,000 with standing room and outfield grass seating). That's the closest I'm aware of to 7000.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)
I'm not certain that MLB needs to get "facts out there" in this situation. They should be exploring multiple options, listing them just adds to the uncertainty and speculation. The leadership should be internal.

Next time, teams will fight to play games in this situation potentially placing fans and players in a dangerous situation.

Deep economic loss to the area. Remember how MLB owners argue that a stadium adds to much to the local economy? They can't have it both ways, losing a home game has the opposite affect.

Teams shouldn't be punished for doing the right thing especially when it involves the health and safety of players and fans.

The economic loss of a couple of Orioles games pales in comparison to the economic loss these riots will certainly produce. Not only with having to pay emergency personnel OT, all the destruction, loss of businesses, which means loss of jobs. I don't know if anyone really ever goes to Baltimore for vacation, but they probably do go for a baseball series. Now most will have second thoughts.

I know MLB has to be sensitive to the area. They do, however, have a responsibility to maintain integrity with their teams. Sometimes there is nothing you can do, but there certainly has been options here, and so far the option they have used has been to basically do nothing.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:41 PM)
The Oakland A's played the first 16 games of the 1996 season at Cashman Field in Las Vegas - capacity 9334 (over 12,000 with standing room and outfield grass seating). That's the closest I'm aware of to 7000.

Didn't the Expos play a couple of games in Puerto Rico or something like that in a real small stadium?

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)

Let's look at the unintended consequences of not playing these games this week.....

If either team is still in a race for the playoffs when the calendar turns to October (lets hope the Sox clinch before that time!), these games will have to be made up after the end of the regular season when they are meaningless for the other team (and it delays the playoffs from starting a few days while putting the Sox / Orioles at a competitive disadvantage as they have to pitch their top guys while other teams rest).

This really is a no win situation....but precedent has been set in the past to move games and that routine should have been followed here.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
Roch Kubatko

@masnRoch

Postponed games Monday and today will be made up as part of a single-admission doubleheader on Thursday, May 28, beginning at 4:05 p.m

Sucky outcome for the Sox.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)
Roch Kubatko @masnRoch

#orioles will have update coming soon on games this weekend. Playing Rays at The Trop instead of OPACY appears likely

Wow...and they couldn't move the games to Chicago today?

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 02:49 PM)
Roch Kubatko

@masnRoch

Postponed games Monday and today will be made up as part of a single-admission doubleheader on Thursday, May 28, beginning at 4:05 p.m

This f***s the Sox. Instead of an off day after getaway day they now have to fly to Baltimore and play a double header before heading to Houston.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
More importantly, what happens to tomorrows game?

FOX Sports: MLB @MLBONFOX

#Orioles announced schedule update

Tomorrow's #WhiteSox game closed to public 2:05pET

Weekend #Rays series now in TB

Wow. No fans at tomorrow's game.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:52 PM)
Anyone care to speculate what the players preferred? Would they really have wanted to drive to the stadium and play?

They were at the park Monday and were scared. But this just makes it more curious as to why they stayed status quo.

Is anyone surprised today's game is not being played? Will you be surprised if they stay in Baltimore tomorrow's won't be played?

If I were a player, I would prefer not to be in Baltimore at this time.