Sox/O's postponed again for 4/28.

MHizzle85

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
Since they are going to play with no crowd at all they should have just played in like a local park district baseball field or high school baseball field. That would have been awesome.

I'm pretty sure baltimore's minor league teams are all really close. Certainly there was a minor league stadium that would have jumped for joy to play there. TV would have been great.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 03:25 PM)
Rongey just called out the Orioles on Facebook for this entire mess. Said they refused using the nationals park out of pettiness.

He also said the Sox have no say in the matter, it was entirely the Orioles decision. The MLB could override the Orioles but chose not to.

The fact that they didn't even talk to the Nats is something the commish should address - if he weren't a well-compensated puppet.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)
I'm pretty sure baltimore's minor league teams are all really close. Certainly there was a minor league stadium that would have jumped for joy to play there. TV would have been great.

This is one of the reasons why baseball gets a bad rap for marketing. You have a perfect opportunity to take advantage of a bad situation and turn bad into something good and they didnt take it. The NFL and the NBA probably don't make these same mistakes.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 04:48 PM)
Does anyone here know if the Sox players still come to the ball park to work out? Just curious.

Oh the Orioles scheduled the Sox batting practice at the nearest CVS. Manfred did not infringe upon this decision.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-154627173.html

They also could have played (all those teams were on the road) at Norfolk, Bowie, Frederick or Delmarva.

Certainly the first two options would have been possibilities stadium capacity-wise, and great ways to solidify the relationship with the Orioles' fans in those cities (make the best of a bad situation, right?)

Wonder if that was ever given serious consideration? Doesn't sound like it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 06:26 PM)
It sure looks like it now but it's really a pretty great city. I sold programs at camden one summer during college and stayed just a few blocks from the park. You'd really like it. Just not now!

Eh, I've visited and will have to disagree. I've lived in NYC and Seattle and spent quite a bit of time in Chicago. You couldn't pay me enough money to live in Baltimore. I mean, you could, but it would have to be at least double what I make now in Seattle, in a nice city.

Baltimore gets a bad rap from the Wire but hell that show was accurate imo. It's not a nice place. I don't even think the Inner Harbor area is that nice frankly. A lot of aggressive panhandling in that area when I was there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 06:00 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-154627173.html

They also could have played (all those teams were on the road) at Norfolk, Bowie, Frederick or Delmarva.

Certainly the first two options would have been possibilities stadium capacity-wise, and great ways to solidify the relationship with the Orioles' fans in those cities (make the best of a bad situation, right?)

Wonder if that was ever given serious consideration? Doesn't sound like it.

I wish they played in Delmarva stadium it's 5 minutes from me haha.

But yeah this is crap the one time the team comes here this year we get this crap.

Also Baltimore isn't a nice area it's been a dump. They have some nice areas but overall it's not a place I'd wish to live.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)
So, let me get this straight; The Orioles will make the concession to the Rays, to travel to Tampa, instead of playing that entire series in Baltimore, as originally scheduled. However, they expect the Sox to come back and play a double header in Baltimore, on a day that would have been an off day.

Seems the Rays will not be inconvenienced in the least. They didn't have to make a trip for nothing, have their entire schedule disrupted, or suffer any other negative consequences. However, the Sox just have to bend over backwards to make it all work for Baltimore. Maybe whoever said; "The Sox are just bending over, to get shafted", or something to that effect, was right.

The Sox certainly got the short end here but JR allowed it to happen. If Baltimore refused to make reasonable accommodations for the Sox, he should have used his supposed influence with mlb to pressure them to either play these games in DC or Chicago or force them to forfeit. Why do the Sox bear most of the burden for something that happened in Baltimore?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
Eh, I've visited and will have to disagree. I've lived in NYC and Seattle and spent quite a bit of time in Chicago. You couldn't pay me enough money to live in Baltimore. I mean, you could, but it would have to be at least double what I make now in Seattle, in a nice city.

Baltimore gets a bad rap from the Wire but hell that show was accurate imo. It's not a nice place. I don't even think the Inner Harbor area is that nice frankly. A lot of aggressive panhandling in that area when I was there.

And yet, there are parts of Maryland that are really beautiful.

It's an unfortunate situation but couldn't be avoided. I mean how many times do you move games to another city because of riots? Baltimore had to wait this first series out then make accomodations for the next series. We get one game in out of the three, not bad. That would be neat if we could beat the O's in the empty stadium. I bet it's a fast game. It has to be a weird, depressing atmosphere. So they might as well get on with the game.

I wonder if the players will talk to each other more than usual in this one. I mean there will be no outside sounds. Unless they decide to play the ballpark music as normal, which would be creepy. It also might incite people to storm the stadium.