2016 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

Keith Law released his top 100 draft prospects: http://espn.go.com/mlbmockdraft/2016/insid...igh-school-arms

1. Corey Ray OF Louisville (Compared him to Ray Lankford)

2. Jason Groome LHP HS (NJ)- Tall Lanky LHP with 70 breaking ball

3. Delvin Perez SS Puerto Rico ( Best overall tools, questions about maturity and work ethic)

4. Mickey Moniak OF HS (CA). Can hit, run, and field. Could be a star if he exceeds power expectations.

5. A.J. Puk LHP Florida (Best College Starter)

6. Braxton Garrett LHP HS (AL) Advanced strike thrower with plus curveball

7. Blake Rutherford OF (CA) Already 19 years old, corner OF only.

8. Kyle Lewis OF Mercer (Could go as high as #2, very tools with contact issues)

9. Matt Manning RHP HS (CA)- 6'6 RH, son of former NBA player Rich Manning. Can hit 98 with hard spike curveball.

10. Nick Senzel 3B Tennessee (Best college bat in class. Doesn't get past Oakland at #6).

13. Riley Pint RHP HS (KS)- Throws hard, could be Verlander if it clicks and Brad Pennington if it doesn't. Control issues.

16. Dakota Hudson RHP Miss State (Strong #s in SEC with 2 above average pitches)

18. Zack Collins C Miami (Heard A's and White Sox on him, Big power and OBP. Law doesn't think he can play C.

33. Cooper Johnson C Carmel Mundelein

35. Alec Hansen RHP Oklahoma

82. Matthias Dietz RHP John Carroll CC ( Local kid that pitched at Sandburg HS)

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 12, 2016 -> 02:42 AM)
Which brings me to this question....

At pick #10....would you guys rather have a top 1 or 2 talent whose stock is falling right now and slides to #10, or would you rather have a guy who was a late 1st RD pick whose stock has exploded late and all the sudden becomes a top 10 pick by draft day. Which would you rather the Sox select at #10?

A lot of that has to do with how it plays into pool money, and what the Sox think of specific players, especially in the case of starting pitching.

QUOTE (hi8is @ May 12, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
Pretty hysterical that BA has Ray going to us at 10 and Law has him at number 1.

That is the kind of draft it is this year, pretty weak overall and the talent is all bunched together. Any of the top 20 or so guys could go anywhere. In Laws article he has Collins ranked 20 and says the A's are on him at #6.

Jonathan Mayo ‏@JonathanMayo 24s25 seconds ago

Jonathan Mayo Retweeted B-Mad

I put Rutherford there this time round; ZCollins another bat; B Garrett top arm in consideration, if he's there.

What MLB.com Jonathan Mayo said when asked about the Sox selection at #10.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ May 13, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
Players I would love if.Sox drafted witht he 1st pick:

1. Kyle Lewis

2. Corey Ray

3. Jason Groome

4. Nolan Jones

5. Braxton Garrett

6. Forrest Whitely

DO NOT WANT:

1. Blake Ruthersford

2. Delvin Perez

Delvin Perez has superstar upside. I'd be down with that pick.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 13, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
How would you guys feel about this. My mock:

10. C/1B Zack Collins (under slot)

27. OF William Benson (over slot)

49. SP Logan Shore (at slot)

3rd round. SP Ryan Zeferjahn (over slot)

Thoughts?

I'd be good with that.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 13, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/moc...jHWOsoEx2OOp.97

Baseball America's newest Mock Draft has White Sox taking HS RHP Ian Anderson.

And at 26:

White Sox: If the White Sox ended up with a prep arm at No. 10, it’d be hard to imagine them doing the same thing again at 26. We gave them Kent State southpaw Eric Lauer last week, and that seems like a pretty good match. He’s a strike-throwing lefthander with an easy delivery and promising command. If they end up going in another direction with their first pick, Whitley, who has significantly improved his body since last year, could be in play here. PICK: Eric Lauer, lhp

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/moc...jFuqm0MXYFJ7.99

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 13, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
How would you guys feel about this. My mock:

10. C/1B Zack Collins (under slot)

27. OF William Benson (over slot)

49. SP Logan Shore (at slot)

3rd round. SP Ryan Zeferjahn (over slot)

Thoughts?

I'd be more than happy with that. Advanced college bat, high potential prep, friday starter at a great program, and I dont know the last guy.

Am I crazy for not thinking Zach Collins is worth a top ten pick?

It might be very old school of me but I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a guy without a defensive position that high. Collins is probably a DH at the next level and I don't think he is a good enough hitter to justify taking a DH that high.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 13, 2016 -> 05:37 PM)

It might be very old school of me but I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a guy without a defensive position that high. Collins is probably a DH at the next level and I don't think he is a good enough hitter to justify taking a DH that high.

Thought they were talking that he was gonna move to 1B or a corner OF spot?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 13, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
Delvin Perez has superstar upside. I'd be down with that pick.

I dunno. Even though he has superstar upside, he hasn't done much to prove It. I'd much rather draft a batter that is raking (like Kyle Lewis and Corey Ray) because they've proven they can dominate their current competition, same with pitchers.

Going for upside alone, without any results to back it up, is too risky to me. Look at Byron Buxton, wasn't he supposed to be a superstar? He's been a total scrub so far.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ May 13, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
I dunno. Even though he has superstar upside, he hasn't done much to prove It. I'd much rather draft a batter that is raking (like Kyle Lewis and Corey Ray) because they've proven they can dominate their current competition, same with pitchers.

Going for upside alone, without any results to back it up, is too risky to me. Look at Byron Buxton, wasn't he supposed to be a superstar? He's been a total scrub so far.

Buxton was also rushed to the big leagues.

I think the team that drafts Perez understands that they have to be patient with him in first year as a professional

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ May 13, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)

Buxton was the best prospect in baseball for multiple years and even now he's like the 6th youngest player in AAA. I would gladly trade any player (or two) in our system for him.

Edited by maxjusttyped

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 13, 2016 -> 06:59 PM)
Buxton was the best prospect in baseball for multiple years and even now he's like the 6th youngest player in AAA. I would gladly trade any player (or two) in our system for him.

He hasn't been given ample time to develop

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 13, 2016 -> 05:37 PM)

Collins has the most advanced plate disciple in the entire class, and arguably the best over the last several drafts. He has strong hit and power tools, hits lefty, and he has improved every year within one of the best college programs around. Nothing is for certain but his profile suggests his floor is a solid if not spectacular lefty 1B/DH, with a ceiling of an offensive first catcher. I'd take that any day of the week, especially with the extra 1st round pick we get this year.