2016 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)
Heck, if the Sox finish bottom ten in league, don't give up any draft picks for free agents, and get a sandwich pick for Shark, that'd be 3 picks in about rhe first 50/60. But I'd rather get a more polished prospect (s) for Samardzija.

Agreed with all this. If Samardzija can continue to pitch like he has the last two games, the Sox will get a decent return, if not, take the Samardzija comp pick.

Another option could be to try and get comp picks for LaRoche, Alexei and Melky. I'm not counting on all three but one of them could be worth a comp pick to a desperate contender if the bats come around.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After doing some research across the interweb it has become apparent to me that the 2016 draft's strength is pitching, so for those of you hoping for a bat, sorry.

There are some really intriguing arms in both the college and prep ranks.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 06:53 PM)
Agreed with all this. If Samardzija can continue to pitch like he has the last two games, the Sox will get a decent return, if not, take the Samardzija comp pick.

Another option could be to try and get comp picks for LaRoche, Alexei and Melky. I'm not counting on all three but one of them could be worth a comp pick to a desperate contender if the bats come around.

if anything, this is the draft, 2016 for having comp picks. it will be a deep draft. my problem now, at this moment, no player is screaming elite skill. but that will change as cape cod comes around and latter when the ncaa season starts again.

i am intrigue with some notable pitchers, but we shall see.

talent wise, 2017 is the draft for me. but oh well.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 01:58 AM)
After doing some research across the interweb it has become apparent to me that the 2016 draft's strength is pitching, so for those of you hoping for a bat, sorry.

There are some really intriguing arms in both the college and prep ranks.

Thanks for the buzz kill Joshua. :P

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 08:03 AM)
if anything, this is the draft, 2016 for having comp picks. it will be a deep draft. my problem now, at this moment, no player is screaming elite skill. but that will change as cape cod comes around and latter when the ncaa season starts again.

i am intrigue with some notable pitchers, but we shall see.

talent wise, 2017 is the draft for me. but oh well.

Hopefully the 2015 Cape and the 2016 college/prep seasons produce some hitting talent for next year's draft.

If not, then the Sox draft another future front of the rotation stud with their inevitable top 10 draft pick. ;)

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 09:40 AM)
Thanks for the buzz kill Joshua. :P

Hopefully the 2015 Cape and the 2016 college/prep seasons produce some hitting talent for next year's draft.

If not, then the Sox draft another future front of the rotation stud with their inevitable top 10 draft pick. ;)

If the draft is loaded with pitching and those are the best guys available, they will probably keep taking pitching.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 04:26 PM)
If we continue taking pitchers and end up having a surplus of pitching talent, then we can always trade them for hitting. It's not that big a deal, I don't mind sticking to your strengths.

or replacing the sp who is or ready to move on.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 11:26 AM)
If we continue taking pitchers and end up having a surplus of pitching talent, then we can always trade them for hitting. It's not that big a deal, I don't mind sticking to your strengths.

They need to be able to develop their own bats.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)
They need to be able to develop their own bats.

I agree, but if the draft's quality is in pitching, no use taking a hitter if there's a pitcher of much greater value available.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
I agree, but if the draft's quality is in pitching, no use taking a hitter if there's a pitcher of much greater value available.

I'm one of the bigger BPA guys here when it comes to the draft, but with that being said the Sox do need to be able to develop their own bats. I wasn't talkin about the draft specifically but rather the Org as a whole

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
I'm one of the bigger BPA guys here when it comes to the draft, but with that being said the Sox do need to be able to develop their own bats. I wasn't talkin about the draft specifically but rather the Org as a whole

But they don't. So why pretend they do? Go with your strengths.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 07:43 PM)

i will admit this. BPA is good and even ideal. but when 2 players are close, i will go for the need of the team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
But they don't. So why pretend they do? Go with your strengths.

I never said they did, I'm saying that they need to. Always take the best player available and when things are close go with the guy with the higher ceiling. But eventually if the Sox want to develop their own bats they are going to have to start sometime if they're serious about it

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 05:18 AM)
I never said they did, I'm saying that they need to. Always take the best player available and when things are close go with the guy with the higher ceiling. But eventually if the Sox want to develop their own bats they are going to have to start sometime if they're serious about it

and you make a good point, i may not totally agree with the bold. i would go, if all things are equal, for the need of the team.

but yes, the sox will need to start addressing the lack of hitting somehow. so yes, it would stand to reason, that the sox NEEDS to start addressing that.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 11:18 PM)

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 06:24 AM)
and you make a good point, i may not totally agree with the bold. i would go, if all things are equal, for the need of the team.

but yes, the sox will need to start addressing the lack of hitting somehow. so yes, it would stand to reason, that the sox NEEDS to start addressing that.

I know the Sox are not good at scouting, drafting and development but you are both right. At some point the Sox will have to face their fears and start taking chances again on drafting hitters in the earlier rounds.

I will say that the Sox drafted the right guys the last two years. I mean, how could they pass on those arms?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)
I know the Sox are not good at scouting, drafting and development but you are both right. At some point the Sox will have to face their fears and start taking chances again on drafting hitters in the earlier rounds.

I will say that the Sox drafted the right guys the last two years. I mean, how could they pass on those arms?

And it's looking like with another high pick again next year another great arm will be there for the taking.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
And it's looking like with another high pick again next year another great arm will be there for the taking.

Yes it is and if that's the case there's no doubt the Sox grab that arm. I'm hoping for at least the possibility of a second round bat or the 2016 college season produces a few top ten bats to compete with those arms.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 03:38 PM)

a good point, but i wish, esp last yr they would be addressing positional players in the 3rd and later.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)

as it looks now, i see a great selection of pitchers, esp if they take the next step.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)

The Hawkins pick was regarded as a solid pick, remember he was mocked as being a top ten pick. And the Anderson pick was regarded as a good pick too by guys like Kiley McDaniel. They have drafted better since the current CBA came into effect.

I do think that the Sox should revamp their scouting department when it comes to their domestic amateur scouts, and player development program when it comes to bats.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 11:38 PM)
The Hawkins pick was regarded as a solid pick, remember he was mocked as being a top ten pick. And the Anderson pick was regarded as a good pick too by guys like Kikey McDaniel. They have drafted better since the current CBA came into effect.

I do think that the Sox should revamp their scouting department when it comes to their domestic amateur scouts, and play development program when it comes to bats.

without a shadow of a doubt. this past draft i was hedging on a positional player to draft. but at the end, i wanted if anyone, Fulmer and no one else with the pitcher avail.

and look at the abysmal production of the positional players.... the org will need those arms.

even if it to trade or something. again, i am lost, but for this draft, at the sox selection of the 4rnd. maybe none of the college or preps were not going to sign or something. i just don't know. the team has a huge black hole on positional players and it was not address. i am lost.

at hate what i am going to write, but .... i was looking at the northside draft record and i was trying to figure out how they got a very good farm...... crap, they haven't done that great either in their draft and most of their draft were much higher than the sox. did they have their collective head up each other arses....

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 05:38 PM)
The Hawkins pick was regarded as a solid pick, remember he was mocked as being a top ten pick. And the Anderson pick was regarded as a good pick too by guys like Kikey McDaniel. They have drafted better since the current CBA came into effect.

I do think that the Sox should revamp their scouting department when it comes to their domestic amateur scouts, and play development program when it comes to bats.

Good points with Hawkins and Anderson. Picks I was happy about, and still am, when they were drafted.

I guess it is easy to be down on the drafting and player development side of things when the young bats are unable to come up and produce but my biggest gripe is the lack of fundamentals throughout the organization and especially with the big league club.

When I was watching today's Sox game and watched Sanchez cluelessly abandon 2B to go cover first on a base hit, I immediately thought to myself " WTF is this organization doing?". There is no reason for Sanchez to cover first on a single, as far as that particular play is concerned. Just another bonehead play, like the many we've already seen this year.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 06:07 PM)
without a shadow of a doubt. this past draft i was hedging on a positional player to draft. but at the end, i wanted if anyone, Fulmer and no one else with the pitcher avail.

and look at the abysmal production of the positional players.... the org will need those arms.

even if it to trade or something. again, i am lost, but for this draft, at the sox selection of the 4rnd. maybe none of the college or preps were not going to sign or something. i just don't know. the team has a huge black hole on positional players and it was not address. i am lost.

at hate what i am going to write, but .... i was looking at the northside draft record and i was trying to figure out how they got a very good farm...... crap, they haven't done that great either in their draft and most of their draft were much higher than the sox. did they have their collective head up each other arses....

Will be interesting to see how the Cubs and Astros draft when they are no longer picking inside the top 10. Then we will see just how good their scouting is.

The organization that impressed me most is the Cardinals. They have not picked higher than 19th over all since 2008 when they picked 13th and yet here they are still developing major league talent year after year.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 01:16 AM)
Will be interesting to see how the Cubs and Astros draft when they are no longer picking inside the top 10. Then we will see just how good their scouting is.

The organization that impressed me most is the Cardinals. They have not picked higher than 19th over all since 2008 when they picked 13th and yet here they are still developing major league talent year after year.

Stl, you are spot on that point, Stl has had a really nice system and seeing where they made the picks, you have to give them credit.