2016 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 19, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
I feel like if you go into a draft saying hey if he have picks 1 through 4 then we're taking a pitcher and 5 through 15 a bat, you're really going to hand cuff yourself.

Always take the BPA no matter what, stay true to your board.

i am saying, and it is prob the way i worded it. for me the 1-4 pick, the bpa in my book will be a sp. now 5-15 i have a feeling, a really good feeling that this kid from arz will make a name for himself. he will be the bpa in that 5-15 range... but as i said, there will be some unknown prospect who will come out of the shadows and make a name for themselves.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 19, 2015 -> 06:50 AM)
i am saying, and it is prob the way i worded it. for me the 1-4 pick, the bpa in my book will be a sp. now 5-15 i have a feeling, a really good feeling that this kid from arz will make a name for himself. he will be the bpa in that 5-15 range... but as i said, there will be some unknown prospect who will come out of the shadows and make a name for themselves.

He has good power, but he strikes out a bunch

QUOTE (Dunt @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 09:46 PM)
He has good power, but he strikes out a bunch

for the college level, he has a nice avg, good hr stat and this hits to K's are about even... that last part is a power hitter stat. but he is a soph . i like to to see how he does next season.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)
Shooting for that 8th pick. That will get you in range for a guy like Banks.

There is virtually no way to tell what a given pick will get you in 2016.

The key is to get to 10th or better so that your pick is protected. Beyond that, this far from the draft, the difference between 8th and 9th (for example) is near zero.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
There is virtually no way to tell what a given pick will get you in 2016.

The key is to get to 10th or better so that your pick is protected. Beyond that, this far from the draft, the difference between 8th and 9th (for example) is near zero.

The real difference is in draft pool amounts, the difference in talent is negligible, however, every extra penny you can accrue to make a run at a guy like Michalzeski(?) or Spencer Adams, or Bryce Montes de Oca is valuable. The pick protection should really mean nothing in this offseason as there is no one that will receive a QO that the Sox should even consider.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 06:46 PM)
The real difference is in draft pool amounts, the difference in talent is negligible, however, every extra penny you can accrue to make a run at a guy like Michalzeski(?) or Spencer Adams, or Bryce Montes de Oca is valuable. The pick protection should really mean nothing in this offseason as there is no one that will receive a QO that the Sox should even consider.

ref Trey Michalczewski, i really hope that i am wrong, but i really don't see him improving on his hitting, esp hitting what is a typical power hitting position.

like i said, i hope i am wrong.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
Shooting for that 8th pick. That will get you in range for a guy like Banks.

as someone mention, the idea of the draft now is to get the top 10 protection. other than that, at this time, it is a shot in the dark.

but for this conversation. lets see what can be available.

Alec Hansen, RH, a big powerful pitcher who has command issues, can he improve for next season.

A.J. Puk, LHP, nice pkg but only 2 above avg pitches. can he develop the 3rd and 4th pitch. however off fields problems.

Nick Banks, RF, he is exciting, but his hitting skills will be in question at this point. next season will tell if he continues to develop.

Robert Tyler, RHP, ending the season with arm and possible shoulder soreness.

ok. for me, i an still hedging on Puk as the player i would pick. however i am really frothing at the mouth for Bobby Dalbec, 3B. big and powerful power hitter. his defense will not hold up at 3b so maybe 1b / dh or one of the corner outfielders.

but looking at a player who is compared to D.J. Peterson and Kris Bryant..... when was the last time the sox had a nice power hitter in the minors.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 07:52 PM)
What makes you think that?

i don't know, and i hope i am wrong but at this time, if it was a decision i had to make today, i would question the prospect of Trey being a everyday 3b at the majors.

2015 - avg 259 hrs 7 hits 123 k's 114 total ab's 474

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register...id=michal000tre

but with his total ab, compared to hits and k's.

plus add his homerun total

not a good formula of what the fo expects from a everyday 3b.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
i don't know, and i hope i am wrong but at this time, if it was a decision i had to make today, i would question the prospect of Trey being a everyday 3b at the majors.

2015 - avg 259 hrs 7 hits 123 k's 114 total ab's 474

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register...id=michal000tre

but with his total ab, compared to hits and k's.

plus add his homerun total

not a good formula of what the fo expects from a everyday 3b.

A few things to keep in mind...

1. Trey was 20 years old this year, making him 2+ years younger than the average player at his level

2. His K rate went down from 27.8% last year to 21.4% this year, a substantial drop

3. Power generally develops later, especially for prep signees like Trey, and he hit 35 doubles this year in 532 PA (vs 27 in 579 last year) so he's hitting the ball hard

4. His walk rate went up too, to a nice 9.4%. That's a good sign for a hitter who is quite young for his level.

5. Trey had just 56 games of rookie ball despite being a teenager and hitting just .236 there

6. I think you are significantly overestimating a major league average 3B. The average dude is somewhere around .750 in the majors, or a little below.

He's been very challenged assignment-wise, yet he has improved pretty much across the board against much more mature competition. I am not saying he's a definite starting 3B in the majors, but indications are quite positive so far.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 09:05 PM)
A few things to keep in mind...

1. Trey was 20 years old this year, making him 2+ years younger than the average player at his level

2. His K rate went down from 27.8% last year to 21.4% this year, a substantial drop

3. Power generally develops later, especially for prep signees like Trey, and he hit 35 doubles this year in 532 PA (vs 27 in 579 last year) so he's hitting the ball hard

4. His walk rate went up too, to a nice 9.4%. That's a good sign for a hitter who is quite young for his level.

5. Trey had just 56 games of rookie ball despite being a teenager and hitting just .236 there

6. I think you are significantly overestimating a major league average 3B. The average dude is somewhere around .750 in the majors, or a little below.

He's been very challenged assignment-wise, yet he has improved pretty much across the board against much more mature competition. I am not saying he's a definite starting 3B in the majors, but indications are quite positive so far.

very nice..... again, like i said i want to be wrong. but i still want another option at 3b. i do not want to put all the eggs in one basket.

many thanks.

Edited by LDF

Now that the dust on the season has settled, I'm keeping an eye on 3 guys at 10:

Corey Ray

Chris Okey

Bobby Dalbec

Interesting enough, Corey Ray is a Simeon product. Wouldn't that be something to see a young man from the south side come home and be a star. His game has all the makings of a star too. Speed, power, defense...he's my early favorite for the pick.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 03:45 AM)
Now that the dust on the season has settled, I'm keeping an eye on 3 guys at 10:

Corey Ray

Chris Okey

Bobby Dalbec

Interesting enough, Corey Ray is a Simeon product. Wouldn't that be something to see a young man from the south side come home and be a star. His game has all the makings of a star too. Speed, power, defense...he's my early favorite for the pick.

ref ray, - he went to U of L as a free swinger loaded with potential and will be working on taking more pitches and learning on how to read them

per u of l sports site.

Chris Okey - catcher very good defensive catcher who has a good bat. needs to gain weight for the rigors of catching in the upper level.

per players profile.

and Dalbec is my choice for the 1 rnd.

all very good players.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 05:50 AM)
Given the extent of his prospect most teams know him very well, but the Sox definitely know him well.

like the ones the sox picked last yr.

chi ace program in the summer league.

you know, the more i read about the ACE program of the sox. i wonder if it is their intentions to be like the cape cod league for chi players.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:48 PM)
Just playing some devils advocate here. :P

http://www.fueledbysports.com/2016-mlb-mock-draft/

Obviously this should be taken with a grain of salt but there's nothing wrong with getting familiar with some names now.

nice, i can see

Corey Ray - of.

Bobby Dalbec - 3b/of/1b

Chris Okey - cat

of course the other pitchers like

A.J. Puk

Alec Hansen

the surprise is Boldt who is not having a nice cape cod time. that is if i am reading this right over the weekend.

now i am really torn on the positional players of ray, dalbec and okey. however i am still leery on okey. he will need to put up some decent numbers again.

thanks for the link.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
Just playing some devils advocate here. :P

http://www.fueledbysports.com/2016-mlb-mock-draft/

Obviously this should be taken with a grain of salt but there's nothing wrong with getting familiar with some names now.

Thanks for the find. I will get familiar with some names.

In the 14 draft, I wanted Rodon, however, I did waiver back and forth between him and Kolek. But, I did want Rodon more than any of the 3.

In the 15 draft, I wanted Fulmer from the very beginning when we all realized that we had pick 8, if you don't believe me go look at that thread.

I do have a pretty good track record of getting our picks right, so you should all take my word :)

As for this year, I'm going have to do some research before making the pick that the Sox will eventually make

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 06:29 PM)
nice, i can see

Corey Ray - of.

Bobby Dalbec - 3b/of/1b

Chris Okey - cat

of course the other pitchers like

A.J. Puk

Alec Hansen

the surprise is Boldt who is not having a nice cape cod time. that is if i am reading this right over the weekend.

now i am really torn on the positional players of ray, dalbec and okey. however i am still leery on okey. he will need to put up some decent numbers again.

thanks for the link.

Were you the one that had that tracking website for stats last season?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 11:58 PM)
Were you the one that had that tracking website for stats last season?

yeah, i really enjoy the minor league stats and players as well college players and draft stats.

yeah that was the ncaa main web sites and scores.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 07:00 PM)
yeah, i really enjoy the minor league stats and players as well college players and draft stats.

yeah that was the ncaa main web sites and scores.

Ah, so it wasn't actually a program? You were just copying and pasting? I wanted to do a similar thing this year and liked how you did it last year.