Sox Dead Last in Runs Scored

Will the offense rebound?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Will the offense rebound?

• No, this offense is Brent Lillibridge bad.
    • Yes, but the offense is still incredibly flawed.
    • Yes, our offense will be average when all is said and done.
    • Yes, we're a sleeping giant ready to awake.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need to try something crazy like move Alexei back up to the 2nd spot even though he's swinging and 58 foot pitches right now. Move Melky down to the 7th spot or something. It's hard to be any worse than what they're doing currently. Just try something different. It's so bothersome seeing LaRoche and Cabrera have higher on base percentages (which are also very low) than they do slugging percentages (which is putrid.)

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 26, 2015 -> 08:01 PM)
on the bright side....

anyone?

yeah, maybe the FO is starting to get really pissed off .

i kind of love it when management gets a real bad case of reflux. :lol:

Once again, no bases on balls for our hitters tonight. There's no way this team can win with this approach. Once again, it's a miracle we're only four under .500. Truthfully this team should already be 10 under. You can't win playing this brand of baseball. You just can't. You have to draw some walks; you have to hit some home runs when you can't steal bases or hit and run. I hope our front office realizes this; that the team is exactly worse than it's record and decides on the fly to rebuild again. They can't be dumb. They aren't dumb. I've heard Hahn interviews. He has to realize playing this brand of baseball is a flat our guarantee for last in the Central.

Nick Martinez , #22 RHP

4-1, 2.03 ERA, 35 SO

Martinez had a streak of four straight winning decisions snapped Thursday, but he has allowed three earned runs or fewer in 16 straight starts. That's the longest such streak in club history. He lost in his only start vs. the White Sox last season.

Something's gotta give with either the offense or Sale...who will blink first?

One of the scariest and guttiest Sale performances was the time Chris was pitching with an 86-88 mph fastball and using almost all offspeed stuff down in Arlington. How he got through that was beyond me.

• 2 weeks later...

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 2h2 hours ago

White Sox have been shut out on four hits or less in consecutive games for the first time since 4/9-10/97 vs. Toronto.

During that span, they have gone 6-for-58 (.103) with three walks and no extra-base hits and are 0-for-7 with RISP.

I get so mad when we're down one run and LaRoche hits right into the shift and Lexi pops up to end the game. I mean that is so selfish.

Other teams have the Sox perfectly scouted and the Sox are one of the easiest teams in baseball to mow down. The Sox as we all know do not draw walks and get themselves out all the time. Sox have no chance with the way they approach each at bat. Sox still can only win when they bash home runs and the problem is the team hits precious few home runs now.

In all fairness, there are lots of guys like Dunn, LaRoche and David Ortiz out there.

When you do something successfully for most of your career and then you reach your mid 30's, it's probably too late to change your approach...and certainly not in the middle of a season.

Because something deep down tells you that if you're getting paid to hit homers and drive in runs but turn yourself into Joe Mauer, then you're not doing your job. It's one thing to think about hitting the ball hard and back up the middle, but another thing that works against these 1B/DH guys is the fact that they don't have the speed to leg out base hits in that direction, either. How many times did we watch Crede, Thome, AJ, Dye or Konerko hit into double plays in their time with the Sox? None of those guys were "selfish" players either, they were "winning" players with the Sox. The only difference is that when there's so little talent in the line-up offensively, more of the blame will find the 3 outcome/one-dimensional hitters like Dunn and LaRoche. It's human nature, especially with their higher salaries.

It's one thing for young guys like Harper or Moustakas to change their approach and start going to the opposite way...even Avi, if he takes too many balls up the middle or to the right side, someone will immediately say he needs to hit 25-35 homers, not 15-18.

Edited by caulfield12

My problem with the Sox hitters and LaRoche is again that was a winnable game. We need a baserunner in the ninth to make something happen and you've got totally crap at bats. I called them selfish. I don't know what else they are. Pete Rose would have killed Lexi and LaRoche for their miserable at bats if he was manager. I guess it's modern baseball to do what you do and in LaRoche's case not adjust at all and hit it right into the shift in short right field.

Drives me crazy, though. What's wrong with getting on base?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 06:01 AM)
It's funny that you direct your angst with the guy who is leading the team in on-base percentage.

Obviously he's not the only hitter I despise. He just happened to make an out in the ninth that made me blow my top.

That and the fact that most MLB hitters fail to get on base at least 65% of the time...if we had Billy Hamilton and he struck out or bunted into an out, we'd be complaining about that, too.

At least LaRoche can legitimately tie the game there with one swing, which is better than most of our current line-up.