Why should Robin Ventura have a MLB manager job

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 2, 2015 -> 10:43 PM)
Well, the counterargument to that is Matheny and Ausmus...but it just seems catchers always make the best managers.

Not surprisingly, catching is one of the team's most glaring weaknesses, ever since AJ left.

AJ is available and he is the opposite personality wise of Robin. Since he ia a catcher, he should be named manager. It certainly would generate some wild scenes in the clubhouse.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 2, 2015 -> 10:21 PM)
AJ is available and he is the opposite personality wise of Robin. Since he ia a catcher, he should be named manager. It certainly would generate some wild scenes in the clubhouse.

AJ does not have the personality to be a manager. He will not be a manger.

I'd be fine with Gardenhire as interim manager. I'm not a huge fan of his small ball style twins clubs but at least they were usually fundamentally solid bunches even if they lacked talent. IMO a manager can at least impact the emotional readiness of a club and I think Gardenhire can do that and maybe, just maybe if they make a change before they are 10 back, they might turn it around some knowing that everyone is playing for their jobs.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

I have one question to ask everybody and I would love a SERIOUS answer.

Sox are 7 games out. IF and I say IF Minnie completes the sweep tomorrow, what harm would it be to fire Robin?? Sox can afford the salary even though I'm sure it would be an annoyance to the payroll people to have to pay Robin to go away.

But seriously ... the season is all but over except for the wild card and school is still in session.

Tell me please ... what harm would it be to axe Robin??

As far as replacements, this is my suggestion but I can understand if management won't do it.

This is a perfect chance to give Ozzie a tryout. He's interim coach the rest of the year. We pay him $50,000. That's it, with incentives if we win the wild card. Ozzie would do it for $25,000. We get to see if Ozzie behaves. If he does anything controversial we move on.

Then at season's end, if he's changed he gets a 1 year deal for next year; if he's the same Oz we move on to Gardenhire/LaRussa or Leyland.

If you don't like my second part of this ignore it and at least answer my first part. What would it hurt firing Robin tomorrow if we go 0-4. I mean, Sox fans will always love Robin, etc. We know he's had s*** to work with compared to Ozzeroo. But an 0-4 to one of the worst teams in baseball, cmon. This is Chicago and it's happening too often.

Edited by greg775

question was asked about RV. if the sox decide to fire him, i would think that ozzie will not be on the long or short list. while he burnt his bridge with his son, remember he openly pursued a job while he was employed with the sox. a real hard slap to the sox org as a whole.

second, they need a coach who shows more emotions, not privately in the clubhouse, if he does that, but someone with a pulse. this team needs to have the captains step up again. it is there fault as much as any for not help driving the team.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ May 3, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
Sox missed the boat by not going hard after Maddon. I liked what the Cubs did. They didn't care that they had a manager in place. A better guy became available and they swooped.

pretty much as how the blackhawks got Q.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
What Gardenhire is up to these days....not entirely sure hes the long term answer but would like to see what he could do the remainder of this season.

ok, i mean not disrespect to any and all who keeps bring up Gardenhire as a coach for the sox. but can some one explain why they think he would be a good one???

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2015 -> 07:26 AM)
ok, i mean not disrespect to any and all who keeps bring up Gardenhire as a coach for the sox. but can some one explain why they think he would be a good one???

First off, the Sox aren't going to fire Robin. Secondly, 99,96,96,92. Those are the amount of games Gardenhire managed teams have lost the last 4 seasons. On Soxtalk, losing with bad rosters is OK if it is with other teams.This year, the roster is better. They will start playing better.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
First off, the Sox aren't going to fire Robin. Secondly, 99,96,96,92. Those are the amount of games Gardenhire managed teams have lost the last 4 seasons. On Soxtalk, losing with bad rosters is OK if it is with other teams.This year, the roster is better. They will start playing better.

first bold, yeah i know that, i was confuse on why Gardenhire will be a better coach by some of the other posters who keeps mentioning him.

if i understand this correctly, he lost all those games... then why does posters think he will be better than RV??

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2015 -> 07:43 AM)
first bold, yeah i know that, i was confuse on why Gardenhire will be a better coach by some of the other posters who keeps mentioning him.

if i understand this correctly, he lost all those games... then why does posters think he will be better than RV??

Because logic doesn't enter in the equation. 8-13 is bad but not the end of the world. 2005 had a 5-12 streak and a 7-12 streak and they won 99.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2015 -> 07:43 AM)

What other choices are there?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
Because logic doesn't enter in the equation. 8-13 is bad but not the end of the world. 2005 had a 5-12 streak and a 7-12 streak and they won 99.

ok, i still don't know why those posters are mentioning him.

but i am with you on this.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2015 -> 06:46 AM)

How many playoff appearances do Gardenhire, Matheny and Ausmus have?

And Ventura....?

With Gardenhire, he has at least proven he can get the job done making the post-season in six out of nine seasons, often besting teams with superior payrolls in the White Sox, Tigers and Indians.

As DA likes to say, give Torre/Cox/LaRussa a team with zero power but still one of the biggest contracts in the game (Mauer), a concussion disabled Morneau, no Santana, no Liriano, no Radke, no bullpen other than Perkins, trade away JJ Hardy for a hapless middle reliever, injured Buxton and Sano, no Torii Hunter, no Cuddyer, no Span, no Kubel...they won't be HOF managers.

What is the excuse for the Ventura-led White Sox this year? No talent STILL? Don Cooper?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)
How many playoff appearances do Gardenhire, Matheny and Ausmus have?

And Ventura....?

With Gardenhire, he has at least proven he can get the job done making the post-season in six out of nine seasons, often besting teams with superior payrolls in the White Sox, Tigers and Indians.

As DA likes to say, give Torre/Cox/LaRussa a team with zero power but still one of the biggest contracts in the game (Mauer), a concussion disabled Morneau, no Santana, no Liriano, no Radke, no bullpen other than Perkins, trade away JJ Hardy for a hapless middle reliever, injured Buxton and Sano, no Torii Hunter, no Cuddyer, no Span, no Kubel...they won't be HOF managers.

What is the excuse for the Ventura-led White Sox this year? No talent STILL? Don Cooper?

i won't discuss last yr RV stats, b/c that team was brutal.

this yr, the season is but 1 month old, lets discuss this when / if the sox gets eliminated. but until then they still have a chance.

however, i will flip this around, even i am getting tired of this no emotion team playing below standard baseball. crap, i bet one of the minor league team right now, can best this team. no freaking emotion, no signs of this team even caring whether they win or loose.

so in essence, who's fault is that????

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2015 -> 07:08 AM)
i won't discuss last yr RV stats, b/c that team was brutal.

this yr, the season is but 1 month old, lets discuss this when / if the sox gets eliminated. but until then they still have a chance.

however, i will flip this around, even i am getting tired of this no emotion team playing below standard baseball. crap, i bet one of the minor league team right now, can best this team. no freaking emotion, no signs of this team even caring whether they win or loose.

so in essence, who's fault is that????

You can't fire 25 players.

What's the one common denominator in terms of baserunning, defense, metal lapses, lack of preparation, inability to be motivated to play on the road (I can guarantee there was no 2-10 road streak in 2005), inability to get runners in from 3b and less than two outs, inability to hit cut off men or back up bases, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2015 -> 06:46 AM)

Because constantly turning over the roster and expecting different results from the same manager is more logical.

Well, more talent but the same woeful results and apathetic, disinterested style of play. Why?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
You can't fire 25 players.

r u kidding, if only they can. :lol:

seriously, i corrected something a little while ago. they, the sox need a leader, a vocal leader, he may not have to be the team captain, but some one to bring emotions. now on the flip side, some one can make a discussion of how much these players today makes and why is someone like that is needed.

motivation. last yr, there was the guy who the sox release that would tease JA.

i am going back to Bo Jackson, he had Tim Raines teasing him all the time. i remember the opening game of the season, bo came up and hit a home run. the limp around the bases. so in the clubhouse, raines imitated bo how how he was running/limping. that was great. build a great team indenty.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
Because constantly turning over the roster and expecting different results from the same manager is more logical.

Well, more talent but the same woeful results and apathetic, disinterested style of play. Why?

wow, nice word.... i got to look that one up. :lol:

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
wow, nice word.... i got to look that one up. :lol:

The problem with firing a manager in the middle of a season, is that you are mostly limited to in-house replacements or guys out of jobs. Even guys out of jobs are going to want some security for a few years to right the ship. Now there could be someone w a ton of baggage out of a job and then the Sox would have some leverage. The other problem with an interim manager is it could have a negative impact on the young players. Having 3 managers in the course of a year telling a young player to do 3 different things can be a big problem with certain players.

As far as Cooper goes, he should not be the interim. He needs to stay focused on the young pitchers. My guess is that if the Sox bring in a new manager next year, he may want his own pitching coach.

I think the best bet is you ride Robin out for the year and make a change in the offseason. Certainly a team w Abreu, Sale and Rodon alone will attract some quality candidates.