Why should Robin Ventura have a MLB manager job

Buehrle>Wood

The one thing that Ventura is supposed to be good at is managing personalities. Right now, I am sure not seeing any look of confidence on the field. The team is pressing a ridiculous amount, and he seems to have no ability to get through to them. Instead it keeps getting worse instead of better. I just can't see it anymore.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2015 -> 10:15 AM)
There is no apathetic , disinterested play. You doomsdayers just made that up.

If you don't want to call it that, then it is a team that is one of two things. Fundemenetally worthless, or incredibly tight. Either way, there is a breakdown somewhere in getting this team to play the kind of game they need to play. They don't look relaxed. They don't look comfortable, and then don't look confident. These are supposed to be Ventura's strengths. He is supposed to be an even keel guy that keeps his team from getting to high or too low, and gets respect for going about things the right way. Whatever is going on there, one thing can't be denied. When this team gets on the field, they are a disaster right now.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ May 3, 2015 -> 05:53 PM)
The game has been over for an hour. Why is Robin not fired yet?

One more bad week should end it.

2-4, fired

3-3, buys another week

4-2, ok, let's see how the rest of the month goes

QUOTE (flavum @ May 3, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
One more bad week should end it.

2-4, fired

3-3, buys another week

4-2, ok, let's see how the rest of the month goes

really? being swept in 4 by the TWINS doesnt do it? that's bad, reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal' bad.

Not only that, but the tightness is leading to problems in all those other areas we keep noting.

For example, today....Danks was so used to Abreu playing 1B that he assumed a ball was going to go down the line for a hit and he started backing up home, then was too late to realize it was actually LaRoche playing 1B and he'd made a wonderful play to stop it, only to have problems dealing with the throw in his haste to recover and get back to the bag.

Micah Johnson is starting to be impacted by the pressing, as they moved him to leadoff and also his defense is getting a bit shakier.

I guess the excuse for Eaton's poor play on Friday was that he was sick...that excuses everything that happened on the field of play and exonerates Ventura from any blame as well. Of course, if that wasn't the case, shouldn't someone have noticed and pulled him from the game after his first mistake, or second?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2015 -> 05:53 PM)
If you don't want to call it that, then it is a team that is one of two things. Fundemenetally worthless, or incredibly tight. Either way, there is a breakdown somewhere in getting this team to play the kind of game they need to play. They don't look relaxed. They don't look comfortable, and then don't look confident. These are supposed to be Ventura's strengths. He is supposed to be an even keel guy that keeps his team from getting to high or too low, and gets respect for going about things the right way. Whatever is going on there, one thing can't be denied. When this team gets on the field, they are a disaster right now.

It is a bad stretch without a doubt, but ever team goes through them. KC went through an 8-13 stretch last season, then lost 4 of their next 5. The Tigers went through a 7-17 stretch.

This one is blown out of proportion because it is the beginning of the season and its all we have. Just keep in mind most teams will go on stretches where they win 8 of 21 or even worse.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2015 -> 04:09 PM)
It is a bad stretch without a doubt, but ever team goes through them. KC went through an 8-13 stretch last season, then lost 4 of their next 5. The Tigers went through a 7-17 stretch.

This one is blown out of proportion because it is the beginning of the season and its all we have. Just keep in mind most teams will go on stretches where they win 8 of 21 or even worse.

For every example you can find of a good team having a bad stretch, I can find 5 bad teams that have had the same thing.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ May 3, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)
really? being swept in 4 by the TWINS doesnt do it? that's bad, reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal' bad.

I'd be fine if it happened tomorrow. But trying to see it from Hahn's POV (and Jerry/Kenny), I'd probably give it one more week at home.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2015 -> 11:48 PM)
That's why we spent that $100 million last offseason.

yes i agree, i was responding to what the other poster said, that this team is bad regardless of who is steering.

I kind of hope Robin does get fired, for two reasons -

1. To shut up the fire Robin crowd

2. So that people will see that this team is bad regardless of who is steering.

so the players on the team is just bad, don't deserve to be in the mlb, so by your statement, no one is good to be on this team.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 4, 2015 -> 12:19 AM)
I'd be fine if it happened tomorrow. But trying to see it from Hahn's POV (and Jerry/Kenny), I'd probably give it one more week at home.

ok, i now see your point. yeah you are prob right. we the fans have that short fuse right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2015 -> 06:09 PM)

This isn't just a 'bad stretch'. It is about how they are playing the games. Error after error. Mental error after mental error. The mental approach to the game has been bad for years now... unless by bad stretch you mean since the end of 2012.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
ok, i now see your point. yeah you are prob right. we the fans have that short fuse right now.

It's not even so much that. I think the majority of fans, and pretty much everyone, know a change needs to happen if things don't turn around quickly.

But in the end, they're going to have to fire a friend. That's tough stuff, and it'll probably take another 1-4 weeks unless they really turn it around.

QUOTE (MIZ-SOX @ May 3, 2015 -> 06:29 PM)
I'm starting to think this team just isn't any good. In that case, hiring a new manager would pretty much accomplish nothing.

It would remove a manager that isn't qualified.

After he's gone, they aren't winning this season. That wouldn't be the end game.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 4, 2015 -> 12:26 AM)
It's not even so much that. I think the majority of fans, and pretty much everyone, know a change needs to happen if things don't turn around quickly.

But in the end, they're going to have to fire a friend. That's tough stuff, and it'll probably take another 1-4 weeks unless they really turn it around.

great logic, that is the major problem getting attached to people when you are in the position of authority.

but here is the question, do the sox have someone in mind already to take over RV if needed?? when is it too late to make that change, if it is the last resort??

QUOTE (MIZ-SOX @ May 4, 2015 -> 12:29 AM)
I'm starting to think this team just isn't any good. In that case, hiring a new manager would pretty much accomplish nothing.

welcome aboard.

but you need to start with the most important part, the manager.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2015 -> 06:31 PM)
great logic, that is the major problem getting attached to people when you are in the position of authority.

but here is the question, do the sox have someone in mind already to take over RV if needed?? when is it too late to make that change, if it is the last resort??

Hopefully Gardenhire

interesting article on mlb trade rumors.

Jose A came to RV defense for people calling for Robin to get fired. he says its the players fault.

i didn't get the link...... well b/c i didn't want to.

i guess i am snarky.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2015 -> 07:14 PM)
https://twitter.com/ChiTribKane/status/594907208703324160

LOL at Rongey trying to "spin" Abreu's comments to make them seem more significant and "unsolicited."

Oh, brother.

To me that shows some leadership is happening in the clubhouse. Abreu knows what this team looks like, and he is trying to take some of that blame off of his managers shoulders. That means they at least like Ventura, even if they don't play well for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2015 -> 08:21 PM)
To me that shows some leadership is happening in the clubhouse. Abreu knows what this team looks like, and he is trying to take some of that blame off of his managers shoulders. That means they at least like Ventura, even if they don't play well for him.

Leadership, support for the manager, 5 game losing streak.

That shows me that whatever is going on continues not working.