Why should Robin Ventura have a MLB manager job

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2015 -> 06:21 PM)
To me that shows some leadership is happening in the clubhouse. Abreu knows what this team looks like, and he is trying to take some of that blame off of his managers shoulders. That means they at least like Ventura, even if they don't play well for him.

Of course, it's very difficult to come up with many examples in recent baseball history (at least the age of the internet) where players turned openly against a manager and "broke the unwritten code" of baseball media relations.

In other words, when's the last time a player said, "We're all doing our absolute best, but collectively we simply don't feel as if we have the right manager to lead us to the next level."

What's going to make things even harder this week is going to be yet another crowd of 75% (AND VOCAL about it) Tigers' fans at USCF.

That's hard for the broadcasters to ignore as well...or those doing national/local highlights.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ May 3, 2015 -> 09:24 PM)
I wana see a new manager. I think we have contending team they just need managed and coached better. They make way too many mental mistakes. That's on the manager.

In the prediction thread I think many of us predicted this team would not make the playoffs. They are worst than expected though. But when you have the worst offensive team in the AL in numerous categories, that is not mental mistakes.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2015 -> 09:36 PM)
Well, they're definitely not going to fire Hahn or replace 10-12 players in the middle of the season.

Agree but this is a lot worse than mental mistakes. You have a bunch of key players unperforming. Starting pitching and the offense both are lousy. Funny but the defense has actually been better than the last 2 years and the bullpen has done a good job.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2015 -> 08:04 PM)
Of course, it's very difficult to come up with many examples in recent baseball history (at least the age of the internet) where players turned openly against a manager and "broke the unwritten code" of baseball media relations.

In other words, when's the last time a player said, "We're all doing our absolute best, but collectively we simply don't feel as if we have the right manager to lead us to the next level."

What's going to make things even harder this week is going to be yet another crowd of 75% (AND VOCAL about it) Tigers' fans at USCF.

That's hard for the broadcasters to ignore as well...or those doing national/local highlights.

It isn't that obvious. Any fan who pays close attention knows that. It is when the players quit taking responsiblity away from the manager that you know something isn't right.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 3, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)
In the prediction thread I think many of us predicted this team would not make the playoffs. They are worst than expected though. But when you have the worst offensive team in the AL in numerous categories, that is not mental mistakes.

All of these defensive miscues are. 4 errors today.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2015 -> 01:21 AM)
To me that shows some leadership is happening in the clubhouse. Abreu knows what this team looks like, and he is trying to take some of that blame off of his managers shoulders. That means they at least like Ventura, even if they don't play well for him.

you got a good point. i am so skeptical right now, i will say that it the players trying to make it look good for Robin, b/c they know he is not doing what is needed to lead.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2015 -> 02:51 AM)
It isn't that obvious. Any fan who pays close attention knows that. It is when the players quit taking responsiblity away from the manager that you know something isn't right.

i really don't know about that, but let say you are right. only 1 player has step up and said it is the players fault. that was Jose A and it was today.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 4, 2015 -> 02:33 AM)

lol.... that prediction thread. boy i really screw up there and in my predictions. esp in the first half wins.

I'm still in the bring Gardy in camp...but ya know what...at first I was soooooo against the even remote idea of bringing Ozzie back...but I'm thinking WHY THE HELL NOT?!? Maybe he's what this team needs. I think with the personnel before he got old...but with the younger guys and Latinos they may just thrive. At least it would bring back some life. I know I'm reaching at straws...but Robin clearly isn't getting the job done. I told my dad back when he failed to challenge that play..."he's over his head". Something needs to be done.

and btw...could somebody explain to me just exactly in the hell Kenny Williams even does for this franchise anymore?!?...fetch JR's coffeee? I've scratched my head about that the last few years.

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 4, 2015 -> 03:36 AM)
I'm still in the bring Gardy in camp...but ya know what...at first I was soooooo against the even remote idea of bringing Ozzie back...but I'm thinking WHY THE HELL NOT?!? Maybe he's what this team needs. I think with the personnel before he got old...but with the younger guys and Latinos they may just thrive. At least it would bring back some life. I know I'm reaching at straws...but Robin clearly isn't getting the job done. I told my dad back when he failed to challenge that play..."he's over his head". Something needs to be done.

and btw...could somebody explain to me just exactly in the hell Kenny Williams even does for this franchise anymore?!?...fetch JR's coffeee? I've scratched my head about that the last few years.

i wonder if dave martinez will be allow to go for that job from the northsiders.

Last place Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin announced Sunday evening that the team has fired manager Ron Roenicke.

The Brewers will name is successor on Monday. The organization exercised his option for the 2016 season only six weeks ago despite the fact that they stumbled down the stretch in 2014. The Brewers currently own the worst record in the National League at 7-18 and sit 11 1/2 games back in the National League Central.

Source: Adam McCalvy on TwitterMay 3 - 10:21 PM

Now we need to fire ours.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ May 4, 2015 -> 03:44 AM)
Last place Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin announced Sunday evening that the team has fired manager Ron Roenicke.

The Brewers will name is successor on Monday. The organization exercised his option for the 2016 season only six weeks ago despite the fact that they stumbled down the stretch in 2014. The Brewers currently own the worst record in the National League at 7-18 and sit 11 1/2 games back in the National League Central.

Source: Adam McCalvy on TwitterMay 3 - 10:21 PM

Now we need to fire ours.

well what ever happens now with RV, if it is the worst case, then he won't be the first one in this season.

There's another good one.

Guys I would love to see manage the Sox:

1) Stone, just to see if he could control his ego for an entire season

2) Harrelson, mostly for entertainment purposes

3) Ozzie again

4) Jack McDowell

5) Carlton Fisk

6) Bill Melton....well, just because we're already a laughingstock

7) Kenny Williams....also to see him bristle at being second-guessed by the media who basically has treated him with kid gloves

8) The best SABES team the internet could put together, working as a committee (like Alan Turing in The Imitation Game, lol)

9) Dick Allen (the player or the poster)

10) Greg775

11) This guy, http://houston.astros.mlb.com/hou/team/exe...mejdal_sig.html (Would be first Indian-American manager)

12) Kim NG (just because it would be interesting to have the first female manager in history)

for me, i am taking this a little more serious and prob will be a waste of time. oh well.

Todd Steverson why not. he did great last yr.

Dave Martinez been talked about in the short area of consideration for previous jobs.

Carlos Tosca bench coach, not too many with good team except for this yr.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2015 -> 10:21 PM)
for me, i am taking this a little more serious and prob will be a waste of time. oh well.

Todd Steverson why not. he did great last yr.

Dave Martinez been talked about in the short area of consideration for previous jobs.

Carlos Tosca bench coach, not too many with good team except for this yr.

Martinez is a good idea, great baseball mind. Loved him as a player.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 4, 2015 -> 04:30 AM)
I'd like to see a former catcher manager the club to balance out Cooper's influence. Cooper seems to almost be the shadow manager. He certainly controls almost every aspect of the pitching staff and their training and the past few years have certainly took some of the sparkle of his resume.

i like martinez b/c he has fire burning just below a calm demeanor. by what i can tell.

i also like Todd Steverson b/c he already knows the team. plus he seems to be a good coach.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2015 -> 11:33 PM)
i like martinez b/c he has fire burning just below a calm demeanor.

i also like Todd Steverson b/c he already knows the team. plus he seems to be a good coach.

I want Gardenhire for the rest of this year. Get a grizzled vet in there see if the guys follow his lead. I'm sorry but Jose is not a natural leader. Leader by example? Sure. But from his own admission he is not a vocal leader. The body language of this team is awful we all see that. Their is a leadership void, especially among the position players.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2015 -> 12:08 AM)
Not only that, but the tightness is leading to problems in all those other areas we keep noting.

For example, today....Danks was so used to Abreu playing 1B that he assumed a ball was going to go down the line for a hit and he started backing up home, then was too late to realize it was actually LaRoche playing 1B and he'd made a wonderful play to stop it, only to have problems dealing with the throw in his haste to recover and get back to the bag.

Micah Johnson is starting to be impacted by the pressing, as they moved him to leadoff and also his defense is getting a bit shakier.

I guess the excuse for Eaton's poor play on Friday was that he was sick...that excuses everything that happened on the field of play and exonerates Ventura from any blame as well. Of course, if that wasn't the case, shouldn't someone have noticed and pulled him from the game after his first mistake, or second?

Micah's play saddens me. I guess I expected a huge huge impact. Stolen bases galore, etc., after hearing Hawk gush about him all last year. I know he's OK and all that but I had way out of whack expectations for him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2015 -> 04:04 AM)
There's another good one.

Guys I would love to see manage the Sox:

1) Stone, just to see if he could control his ego for an entire season

2) Harrelson, mostly for entertainment purposes

3) Ozzie again

4) Jack McDowell

5) Carlton Fisk

6) Bill Melton....well, just because we're already a laughingstock

7) Kenny Williams....also to see him bristle at being second-guessed by the media who basically has treated him with kid gloves

8) The best SABES team the internet could put together, working as a committee (like Alan Turing in The Imitation Game, lol)

9) Dick Allen (the player or the poster)

10) Greg775

11) This guy, http://houston.astros.mlb.com/hou/team/exe...mejdal_sig.html (Would be first Indian-American manager)

12) Kim NG (just because it would be interesting to have the first female manager in history)

Thanks, Caulfield. That's actually not a bad list IMO, especially witih Greg on it.