Detailed Game Analysis - Charlotte Knights 5/2

NorthSideSox72

Here's the detailed analysis piece from the Knights game last night. Includes a bunch of embedded videos of some key guys, including Chris Beck, Matt Davidson, Trayce Thompson and others. Scouting notes from observations, and conversations with some folks there.

The interviews will be published in a few days.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 3, 2015 -> 05:34 PM)
Here's the detailed analysis piece from the Knights game last night. Includes a bunch of embedded videos of some key guys, including Chris Beck, Matt Davidson, Trayce Thompson and others. Scouting notes from observations, and conversations with some folks there.

The interviews will be published in a few days.

i have a question, maybe i may not be asking it the right way, i guess.

re: Beck, how was his pitching performance outside his stats, did he look as he was in total control, not getting overwhelm?

i am hoping that he will be so dominate at that level, that the sox need to find a way to move him up.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
i have a question, maybe i may not be asking it the right way, i guess.

re: Beck, how was his pitching performance outside his stats, did he look as he was in total control, not getting overwhelm?

i am hoping that he will be so dominate at that level, that the sox need to find a way to move him up.

Did you... read the article? Because that was discussed at length.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 4, 2015 -> 03:09 AM)
Did you... read the article? Because that was discussed at length.

yeah and i reread it to make sure what i was asking.

you mention his improvements and how everything is working now. but i am beside the stats, his confidence, his control of the pitches. these subtle little things that tells everyone, he is ready to go up a level.

maybe i am misreading it.

either way many thanks for your hard work.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2015 -> 09:31 PM)
yeah and i reread it to make sure what i was asking.

you mention his improvements and how everything is working now. but i am beside the stats, his confidence, his control of the pitches. these subtle little things that tells everyone, he is ready to go up a level.

maybe i am misreading it.

either way many thanks for your hard work.

I didn't get much into stats, by design. I talked about his pitches, the quality and command of them. I didn't get as much into the confidence thing as I didn't get to speak to him directly after the game (which is sort of a story itself).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 4, 2015 -> 03:48 AM)
I didn't get much into stats, by design. I talked about his pitches, the quality and command of them. I didn't get as much into the confidence thing as I didn't get to speak to him directly after the game (which is sort of a story itself).

i am just wanting him to hurry up and be ready kinda of mood. it would be great to get him back to nibbling on the heals to be moved up.

getting him and EJ would be fantastic.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2015 -> 09:51 PM)
i am just wanting him to hurry up and be ready kinda of mood. it would be great to get him back to nibbling on the heals to be moved up.

getting him and EJ would be fantastic.

My confidence in Beck being a successful major leaguer starter is substantially lower than I have in Erik Johnson. And neither should be truly relied upon, not just yet anyway. Johnson has "it" back from what I can see, and his "it" is a mid-rotation major league starter. Beck has never even reached that point, as he needs significant improvement in his breaking pitche(s) still. His potential is maybe almost as high as EJ's, but he's further from it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 4, 2015 -> 04:18 AM)
My confidence in Beck being a successful major leaguer starter is substantially lower than I have in Erik Johnson. And neither should be truly relied upon, not just yet anyway. Johnson has "it" back from what I can see, and his "it" is a mid-rotation major league starter. Beck has never even reached that point, as he needs significant improvement in his breaking pitche(s) still. His potential is maybe almost as high as EJ's, but he's further from it.

i will take your opinion, b/c you see them a lot more that I. this last post was excellent.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 4, 2015 -> 03:55 AM)
Great content! Dan Black is really interesting to me, every time I see a box score he is usually getting on base somehow and hitting well. His walks are of interest especially for this team. Would be interesting to see him up if LaRoche hits the DL

i need someone opinion other than myself.

it like he just came out of no where, putting up good stats across the board. is he for real or is he on a hot streak.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 4, 2015 -> 01:06 AM)

it like he just came out of no where, putting up good stats across the board. is he for real or is he on a hot streak.

Just looking at his Stats looks like he had pretty decent years 2011-2013 and had a down year last year in 2014. Like Matt said in his analysis he has always been older for the levels he has been in.

Edited by BigHurt3515

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 4, 2015 -> 07:12 AM)
Just looking at his Stats looks like he had pretty decent years 2011-2013 and had a down year last year in 2014. Like Matt said in his analysis he has always been older for the levels he has been in.

don't get me wrong, i would like all the sox prospect to succeed, but the reality of that, i am living in fantasy land for that to happen. i will still be skeptical on his performance and hope he proves me wrong.

either way, this will continue to bring hype for the minor league teams, at least for me.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 4, 2015 -> 01:06 AM)

He's kind of the opposite of coming out of nowhere. He had really good seasons at A, A+ and AA, better each level, one level per year. Then he hit a wall in his first shot at AAA, but now seems to have adjusted.

I personally think he could hit MLB pitching pretty well. But he's 27 in AAA, isn't very good defensively at 1B, and is... not in good shape. Like, he'd be in the worst athletic condition of any current major league position player, without a doubt.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 4, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
He's kind of the opposite of coming out of nowhere. He had really good seasons at A, A+ and AA, better each level, one level per year. Then he hit a wall in his first shot at AAA, but now seems to have adjusted.

I personally think he could hit MLB pitching pretty well. But he's 27 in AAA, isn't very good defensively at 1B, and is... not in good shape. Like, he'd be in the worst athletic condition of any current major league position player, without a doubt.

many thanks i guess i missed on him thru the yrs.