Who can the Sox sell?

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ May 4, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
This team was put together to be competitive for the next several seasons....while they may say that they expected to be competitive this season, I think that this season is still considered part of the rebuild given some of the glaring holes we went in with. I don't think we deal anyone but Shark, assuming he doesn't want to extend.

Nobody was talking about glaring holes entering Opening Day. It was supposed to be a contending team now.

The perception was the starters would be great, the bullpen was greatly improved and the everyday lineup would score a ton of runs. Only missing part was defense and nobody talked about defense being so bad it would hinder the team. It's not too early to say this team blows. There's a good opportunity for another do-over by simply dealing all the guys Hahn acquired. This time get prospects and good ones.

Think of all the bodies we're going to get for Shark, Robertson, LaRoche, Melky and Lexi and Duke. Tons of new faces. Make em good ones Rick.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 4, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
Nobody was talking about glaring holes entering Opening Day. It was supposed to be a contending team now.

The perception was the starters would be great, the bullpen was greatly improved and the everyday lineup would score a ton of runs. Only missing part was defense and nobody talked about defense being so bad it would hinder the team. It's not too early to say this team blows. There's a good opportunity for another do-over by simply dealing all the guys Hahn acquired. This time get prospects and good ones.

Think of all the bodies we're going to get for Shark, Robertson, LaRoche, Melky and Lexi and Duke. Tons of new faces. Make em good ones Rick.

alot of posters where talking about the holes. but after a time, when spring season started, i, in my opinion, will say, every one jump on the band wagon and hope for a magical trip.

Beatles. :D

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 4, 2015 -> 09:11 AM)
Hedges was promoted by the Padres while Derek Norris himself is doing well. Maybe the Padres are trying to showcase him for a potential June/July deal? If Alexei starts hitting between now and then, perhaps we can see a deal with Alexei and Hedges as the base with other moving pieces since the Padres will likely be buyers.

The only problem with that is I would think you'd rather trade a young prospect who is tearing up the minors, than to hope he dominates out of the gate and you can trade him at that point. Unless, of course, so many teams gave them the "yeah, but will he hit against MLB pitching", that they decided to go trial by fire.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 4, 2015 -> 10:49 PM)
The whole thread, talking about who to trade already . Can we at least let this team gel before we declare the season over ?

a very good point about the gelling.

No reason to trade off anyone. The players we have are good talented players. This year is salvagable and so is next and the next with this same team. They just have to break out of their collective slump. I can see us needing a couple of starters though. Maybe Rodon even though I question him being ready this year. Next probably a good bet

Robertson obviously is amazing right now. He's going to have one of those special seasons. There has to be a contender that needs an automatic closer. Sox's mission is to get that team to give us Kris Bryant type talent. 4 players for Robertson and make 2 of them studs and one with at least Beckham-like ability. You know how valuable it is to have a closer who is automatic to a contender? It's huge.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 6, 2015 -> 07:14 AM)
Robertson obviously is amazing right now. He's going to have one of those special seasons. There has to be a contender that needs an automatic closer. Sox's mission is to get that team to give us Kris Bryant type talent. 4 players for Robertson and make 2 of them studs and one with at least Beckham-like ability. You know how valuable it is to have a closer who is automatic to a contender? It's huge.

that would be a bad idea

1. why would any fa in the future sign with the sox if they will turn around and trade him.

2. we, the fans, do not know exactly the term of the contract with him, maybe a no trade clause

3. this yr can be fixed, depending on how it performs from this day forward.

4. if not, this yr, the team have a core to build around for the next yr.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 6, 2015 -> 02:14 AM)

It's 9-14 start. Not good at all. They aren't trading Robertson though. The White Sox aren't the Marlins.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 6, 2015 -> 02:14 AM)

No one is giving up a Kris Bryant type talent for Robertson, let alone three other players.

Free agents will never sign here again.

Let's say the Sox turn it around next year (or late this season), but the lack of a closer screws them. What then?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 6, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)
Let's say the Sox turn it around next year (or late this season), but the lack of a closer screws them. What then?

Robertson is a guy who probably we can wait until the deadline to actually think about moving, or at least until we've 100% thrown in the towel.

If the lack of a closer screws us next year then that means we didn't do anything about the position in the offseason while still somehow putting together a competitive team.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 4, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
The whole thread, talking about who to trade already . Can we at least let this team gel before we declare the season over ?

If you watched the interview with Adam Eaton right after the game he said something along the lines of it takes time for a team with a lot of new faces to GEL .

GELLIN' !

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 6, 2015 -> 12:59 PM)
The White Sox aren't trading Robertson.

BTW, the World Series bound Cubs are now just as far out of 1st place as the White Sox.

Haven't the Sox been red hot since this post? Pretty sure this is when Sox started to play some ball.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 19, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
I am still pissed about that rumor and hate Boston fans even more.

I was obsessed with the Chris Sale draft pick to the point where my Dad made fun of me for it. As a sort of joke, he bought me a Chris Sale jersey for Christmas in 2010. We went to Boston to watch the Sox play at Fenway in 2012. We went to the game and the Pedro Hernandez made a spot start. If that isn't his name it was the guy the Sox got for Ozzie. Anyways, our Sox got absolutely pissed on to the tune of 12-1 beating. A group of 25-30 year old fans followed my dad and I back to our hotel just chanting White Sox suck and making fun of our jerseys. My dad had a retro light blue Bill Melton jersey on. They made fun of that for being a "gay" color and I was wearing a "reliever's" jersey. Even though Sale had been in the rotation all of that year...

I've seen the Sox play in 10 opposing stadiums and there are no fans like Boston fans. They are ruthless. Of course the Sox are 1-4 when I have seen them at Fenway but the aggressiveness of their fans mixed with the accents and corresponding cackles made for a bad environment leaving that stadium.

Jhan Marinez?

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 19, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
I am still pissed about that rumor and hate Boston fans even more.

I was obsessed with the Chris Sale draft pick to the point where my Dad made fun of me for it. As a sort of joke, he bought me a Chris Sale jersey for Christmas in 2010. We went to Boston to watch the Sox play at Fenway in 2012. We went to the game and the Pedro Hernandez made a spot start. If that isn't his name it was the guy the Sox got for Ozzie. Anyways, our Sox got absolutely pissed on to the tune of 12-1 beating. A group of 25-30 year old fans followed my dad and I back to our hotel just chanting White Sox suck and making fun of our jerseys. My dad had a retro light blue Bill Melton jersey on. They made fun of that for being a "gay" color and I was wearing a "reliever's" jersey. Even though Sale had been in the rotation all of that year...

I've seen the Sox play in 10 opposing stadiums and there are no fans like Boston fans. They are ruthless. Of course the Sox are 1-4 when I have seen them at Fenway but the aggressiveness of their fans mixed with the accents and corresponding cackles made for a bad environment leaving that stadium.

A Giants fan in L.A. and a Yankees fan in Boston or vice versa is in more danger than Sox on Sox chippiness. But yes I have also been harassed although in stadium not to the point of being followed and harassed.

It was during a Sox/Dodgers game with my 2 children ,who were visiting from Arizona (their home with their mother) and my father (visiting from Chicago) a very rare occurrence that all 4 of us were in the same place together. So odd that just rooting for your team in a foreign stadium and wearing the colors can provoke people to harass a man with his children and their grandfather. Young men can be so irrational. Nothing major happened thankfully but what should 've been an enjoyable time ended up pissing me off .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 19, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
A Giants fan in L.A. and a Yankees fan in Boston or vice versa is in more danger than Sox on Sox chippiness. But yes I have also been harassed although in stadium not to the point of being followed and harassed.

It was during a Sox/Dodgers game with my 2 children ,who were visiting from Arizona (their home with their mother) and my father (visiting from Chicago) a very rare occurrence that all 4 of us were in the same place together. So odd that just rooting for your team in a foreign stadium and wearing the colors can provoke people to harass a man with his children and their grandfather. Young men can be so irrational. Nothing major happened thankfully but what should 've been an enjoyable time ended up pissing me off .

It is so not worth it. I don't wear Sox gear or raise much of a fuss when I go to other stadiums, just because there are too many idiots out there.