I Believe

BaconOnAStick

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 4, 2015 -> 07:38 PM)
And you should too.

From the encroaching darkness heroes emerge. Let KC and Detroit have their April, for our Summer of the Sox hasn't even begun.

I don't think I "should" believe but I respect your enthusiasm.

There is a whole lot of baseball left. The Sox go 8-2 in their next 10 and its back to .500 with 130 to go. But they do need to dig themselves out this hole quickly. Well under .500 a month from now will be troubling. And with the way this team has looked the past week, 8-2 seems like a pipe dream.

But I'll keep watching, cuz that's what fans do.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 4, 2015 -> 09:15 PM)
There is a whole lot of baseball left. The Sox go 8-2 in their next 10 and its back to .500 with 130 to go. But they do need to dig themselves out this hole quickly. Well under .500 a month from now will be troubling. And with the way this team has looked the past week, 8-2 seems like a pipe dream.

But I'll keep watching, cuz that's what fans do.

yes there is, but they will need a huge winning, unbeaten streak. but first this ship needs to be fixed.

maybe, if the players and FO is seeing this wrenched day, we the fans are debating, this team.

just maybe they will take some pride in the kind of, well whatever they want to call it, on the field.

The biggest potential improvement, imo, would come with the possibilities of Rodon and EJohnson replacing Noesi and Danks, and being nails. Also, getting Sanchez up, and finding a taker, or otherwise parting ways with Boni.

And I don't think RV can steer the dramatic turnaround, regardless of how much or little blame he should get for the current state of affairs.

But, still, I remain optimistic.

Hard to believe it can get any worse.

The real question is, will it stay as bad as it is right now? There is reason to believe that it won't. Several key players are currently massively underachieving. Massively. I think we can reasonably expect the performance of several players to eventually get better. How long will it take? Hopefully not too long, because you do not want this hole to get any bigger. The players need to look at the rest of May here as a fresh start and just forget April even happened.

Baseball can be cyclical. With the luck our organization has had this century aside from 2005, just when our hitting/starting pitching/defense gets better, the bullpen will implode. Me being silly, I also feel like if there are baseball gods (or karma), then the 2005 White Sox used up every last bit of good will that this organization will EVER have, and now need to pay decades of years worth of dues to win again. Obviously, this is a gross overreaction, because it's only been 10 years since 2005. We aren't firmly entrenched in decade after decade of suck.... yet.

The Sox have been at their rock bottom for 2+ years now, continuing into this very season which has held such high hopes. Who or what can free these White Sox from the grips of perpetual defeat? Do we need to pray for them? Do we need to make some kind of sacrifice to appease the baseball gods? We have had a brawl which players could have bonded over. We have the promise of several new acquisitions to bolster the team... yet... this is what is happening now. Should we smelt the 2005 trophy? Burn any memorabilia from 2005? Find that guy who made the most recent 2005 documentary and behead him? Protest and no-show the 2005 reunion in July? Hopefully this amuses you as much as it amuses me...

In all seriousness, though, it seems as if this organization holds onto 2005 a little too much. We as fans, of course, are expected to hold onto it. It was the best year of baseball most of us have ever witnessed from our favorite team. But the reunion. The documentary. The fanfare. Are the Giants going to hold 10 year anniversaries for all 3 of their recent titles, or are they just going to focus on winning the next one? As an organization, the Sox need to forget 2005. Remember the players. Respect them. Make them ambassadors, if they so wish. But that's it.

I still like this 2015 roster. Aside from the overall team defense, and the weak backend of our rotation, I still think this team can do some good things. Abreu has the chance to be the best White Sox hitter since Paul Konerko. He has a chance to be even better then that. But there's always something new to learn playing this game, and even though he hasn't mightily struggled, he can still be better. Eaton is an awesome dude but he is still young as a MLB player. He is learning some tough lessons right now and I believe he has the fortitude for it to pay off. Melky is an established hitter in the MLB, and he should be better. Adam Laroche is a known streaky hitter. I'm not ready to write him off as Adam Dunn 2 yet. Avisail has tons and tons of upside and I believe in him. He will have his struggles, but he has to continue to work to get better and also work hard to improve his defensive game to something tolerable. Conor Gillaspie was able to manage to hit almost .300 last year. The league has made an adjustment to him and it's up to him to make one back. Can he do it? Tyler just needs to try to do his best.

Not much has gone right for these guys up to this point. The mental direction that they take in May will tell a lot about if this team can climb into the postseason picture. What they absolutely, positively, cannot do is let April infect them like a disease. They cannot remember April. April needs to erased from their minds, or as close to erased as it can be. April needs to be treated like it was some kind of extended Spring Training. The record is now back to 0-0. They cannot try too hard to reverse this. Just play baseball games one day at a time, focused, without memory. Pitch by pitch, day by day, this needs to be the new mantra of the 2015 White Sox, else we'll write the eulogy of this team sooner then we had hoped.

Hopefully, if you made it to the end of this post, you found it a refreshing (albeit still depressing) change of pace from the "fire this guy, fire that guy, sell the team" plague infecting the forum right now. Remembering the offseason, I think a lot of us were saying, "OK, now Robin has a baseball team. This will be his year to show what he can do". Well, friends, it has only been a month! I, like many of you, am not particularly pleased with how unprepared the team seems to look, but I'm resigned to give Robin this year. If he can't help turn this thing around, well, then I am with you that we should be looking for another manager in the offseason, because obviously he was not able to get the most out of his players. But one month is not enough time to know if he can get these guys playing good ball. Give him the year. He deserves that much.

QUOTE (South Sider @ May 4, 2015 -> 05:30 PM)
Hopefully, if you made it to the end of this post, you found it a refreshing (albeit still depressing) change of pace from the "fire this guy, fire that guy, sell the team" plague infecting the forum right now.

I did. :)

I'm as disappointed as anyone in the dismal play . I was hoping for more defense in the off season but the offense and starting pitching has been almost as bad as the D. I think the hitting and starting pitching will come just hope when it does the bullpen can be just as solid as it is now.

I think ButterParque mentioned we are losing just the same way we did last year but we had a decent amount of leads last year with a lineup that wasn't as solid as this year's model is supposed to be and the bullpen blew those leads. So I don't think it's quite the same.

Once the starting pitching and offense produce some leads we'll find out how good this team can be.

We won't know till we play the games, but this team has potential for long winning streaks. If the pitching and hitting can click at the same time we will win a lot of games.

They just need to get a wc spot, and right now that's just 3.5 games away.

They can get on long winning streaks, but that probably means Rodon at the back end, and obviously our TOP 3 has to get their acts together.

Pretty obvious stuff, I know.

At any rate, the Noesi/Danks situation is one of many blocking success right now...but not as much as Sale/Samardzija/Q pitching like garbage.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 4, 2015 -> 07:38 PM)
And you should too.

From the encroaching darkness heroes emerge. Let KC and Detroit have their April, for our Summer of the Sox hasn't even begun.

Good man! I agree

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/sor.../qualified/true

The problem isn't that Flowers sucks and Micah's a rookie (that's not unexpected to any Sox fan)....it's Eaton, Ramirez and Gillaspie (to a lesser extent) all sporting 575-581 OPS numbers and Johnson/Eaton also having ZERO positive impact (actually, a net negative) on the basepaths. Then you have Cabrera hitting for average but not much power and few walks.

Of course, that's getting decent or better than expected numbers from Avi and a bit less from Abreu.

As a fan I'll NEVER believe in this team after what they did in Minnesota. They laid down over the last 2 games and fricking didn't play baseball. This team is either so lazy or mentally fragile it's a joke. You don't lose the first two games of a series and quit (see Det. at Kansas City last weekend). This team got blown out of the water Sunday in a pride game, Robin didn't seem to show any emotion about it, so f*** them. It's going to take this team a long time to win my respect (not that they care). All fans should be furious. No I do not believe. Losing four in a row to Minnesota is just plain ridiculous. You have to quit to do that and they laid down. Their road record is so bad it's laughable. Yes you have to put in some effort to win on the road, fellas, not just say "it's a long season; it's a marathon."

Edited by greg775