Marvel Entertainment Thread

WilliamTell

We might get X-Men and Fantastic 4 back in the fold pretty quickly. Disney in discussions to purchase multiple assets from Fox to the tune of 60 Billion dollars.

this also has significance for star wars, because Fox owns the rights to "A New Hope"(which is why you do not see Disney firing out Star Wars box sets)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)
We might get X-Men and Fantastic 4 back in the fold pretty quickly. Disney in discussions to purchase multiple assets from Fox to the tune of 60 Billion dollars.

this also has significance for star wars, because Fox owns the rights to "A New Hope"(which is why you do not see Disney firing out Star Wars box sets)

Wish they would have had the rights before Civil War and the upcoming Avengers movie.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 02:07 PM)
nothing confirmed, but Collider reporting the rumor that Tom Holland will appear in a cameo for the Venom movie.

pretty significant shared universe news if true

I said this on here before. It's connected but at the same time not. Like the Spidey universe will have its own corner which doesn't reference the events in the rest of the MCU. It'll have it's own corner in the universe like The Defenders and Agents of Shield.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Quin @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
What would be interesting is what would happen to the current X-verse

I imagine Deadpool and Legion would be safe, but everything else would be on the chopping block.

Yeah they pretty much need to reboot the X-Men series (which sucks since they have still movies being released). Deadpool is pretty much the one character you can rip out of one universe and add into the other since his character breaks the 4th wall anyway.

How do you guys think that the MCU should handle the X-Men? I think they should obviously reboot it, but already have them as being a part of the universe. They've just been laying low learning and training with their powers up until when they eventually appear in a movie.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 02:16 PM)
I said this on here before. It's connected but at the same time not. Like the Spidey universe will have its own corner which doesn't reference the events in the rest of the MCU. It'll have it's own corner in the universe like The Defenders and Agents of Shield.

If Holland appears in Venom then the exact opposite will happen. Venom is far too big in Spider-Man’s story to be tucked away in its own corner untouched by everything else. If they venture into Carnage it will be even bigger

The rumor is that Avengers 4 is going to be an altering of reality by Thanos which will bring the X-Men into the Avengers universe. The upcoming X Men movies mostly deal with time travel and the altering of reality as well

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 02:28 PM)
If Holland appears in Venom then the exact opposite will happen. Venom is far too big in Spider-Man’s story to be tucked away in its own corner untouched by everything else. If they venture into Carnage it will be even bigger

I don't think I really explained what I meant that well. I mean that the greater MCU and the SONY Spider-verse won't really connect too much but that doesn't mean Venom isn't a big part of the Spider-verse going forward. However, it will still be "shared" with the rest of the MCU to an extent.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 02:33 PM)
The rumor is that Avengers 4 is going to be an altering of reality by Thanos which will bring the X-Men into the Avengers universe. The upcoming X Men movies mostly deal with time travel and the altering of reality as well

That would make sense. Basically Disney is going to want to get away from all of the big contracts, so you pretty much have to phase out Iron Man, etc. If it was me, I would just let the current path come to an end. Then I would reboot X-Men, with maybe a few crossovers.

I just think that many characters become too cumbersome.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 02:46 PM)
That would make sense. Basically Disney is going to want to get away from all of the big contracts, so you pretty much have to phase out Iron Man, etc. If it was me, I would just let the current path come to an end. Then I would reboot X-Men, with maybe a few crossovers.

I just think that many characters become too cumbersome.

I agree. Plus the X-Men movies have really become a mess. All the actors that play the characters in the present are becoming too old to suddenly join the universes and all the recent movies (including one coming out soon) all take place in the past with younger actors. Let it run it's course.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 02:47 PM)
I agree. Plus the X-Men movies have really become a mess. All the actors that play the characters in the present are becoming too old to suddenly join the universes and all the recent movies (including one coming out soon) all take place in the past with younger actors. Let it run it's course.

The other problem is that the timeline of characters just is going to get more and more broken because we are living in 2018, not the 80's and 90s. Many of these characters origins come from WWII era. You cant just have them all "frozen" like Captain America. Magneto's entire world view is based on his experience from the Holocaust. Its that origin story that makes Magneto the character he is, it explains why he acts the way he does etc.

That is why the best thing for X-Men is a fresh start. Is everything going to be set in the past, or do they try and create some way to fit characters into the present/future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got back from seeing Black Panther...

It’s pretty hard for me to watch movies like an average person, it’s takes me two or sometimes three viewings of a movie to really enjoy myself and not think about why or how they did this or that. The entire lead up to this movie has been pretty emotional because, I wish that I was 20 years younger and 5 years old again to experience this moment.

As a black kid, who grew up obsessed with nerd culture all of my favorite characters were 97% white men. I was able to latch on to the ideas that they represented but they still felt unattainable because of my skin color. I can only imagine how empowered and inspired black kids are going to feel watching this movie and seeing an African King at the center of a superhero movie.

There are no words that can do justice to the impact that this could have on the entire community. Instead of seeing themselves portrayed in the media as thugs, unintelligent and lesser they’re going to be seeing themselves as royalty, geniuses and as equals who are deserving of as much respect and opportunity their white counter parts get.

I loved how the movie was at times structured as a conversation with the audience as it talked about a lot of issues facing black people today. Kids can hear these messages about lifting each other up from another black person and really take it with them.

I really enjoyed the movie and I won’t go into specifics about what I liked and didn’t but everything happening around it makes me wish I’m 5 years old again, just so can this all in and take it with into adulthood. I can even picture my mom driving me to Tower Records to pick up the soundtrack, what a time to be alive.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 03:24 AM)
I just got back from seeing Black Panther...

It’s pretty hard for me to watch movies like an average person, it’s takes me two or sometimes three viewings of a movie to really enjoy myself and not think about why or how they did this or that. The entire lead up to this movie has been pretty emotional because, I wish that I was 20 years younger and 5 years old again to experience this moment.

As a black kid, who grew up obsessed with nerd culture all of my favorite characters were 97% white men. I was able to latch on to the ideas that they represented but they still felt unattainable because of my skin color. I can only imagine how empowered and inspired black kids are going to feel watching this movie and seeing an African King at the center of a superhero movie.

There are no words that can do justice to the impact that this could have on the entire community. Instead of seeing themselves portrayed in the media as thugs, unintelligent and lesser they’re going to be seeing themselves as royalty, geniuses and as equals who are deserving of as much respect and opportunity their white counter parts get.

I loved how the movie was at times structured as a conversation with the audience as it talked about a lot of issues facing black people today. Kids can hear these messages about lifting each other up from another black person and really take it with them.

I really enjoyed the movie and I won’t go into specifics about what I liked and didn’t but everything happening around it makes me wish I’m 5 years old again, just so can this all in and take it with into adulthood. I can even picture my mom driving me to Tower Records to pick up the soundtrack, what a time to be alive.

https://medium.com/new-york-times-magazine/...ca-14ad4e63e9ee

On Why Black Panther is a Defining Moment for Black America

Edited by caulfield12

I went to Black Panther tonight. This movie has so much hype I honestly left a bit underwhelmed. And I almost hate myself for saying that. I thought it was a good movie, liked the villains, and loved Wakonda. What a beautiful place. I have no idea what I was expecting but I'll say for me it's not part of the top MCU movies. Can't wait to see a Black Panther 2 though. The possibilities are endless.