Marvel Entertainment Thread

WilliamTell

I rewatched all the MCU films and I have to say that the original Avengers film is one of the best written blockbusters of like the past 20 years. It might be the worst looking and ugliest movie of the past 20 years when you consider it cost $200M and the sets look like a CW show but man it’s a damn good time. I wonder what Infinity War/Endgame would be like if Whedon was still running things. 

Age of Ultron definitely got better with age too, I haven’t watched it since it came out on Blu Ray and liked it a whole lot more. It might be the best looking MCU film, everything isn’t muted and grey like everything else. I still love the Hawkeye stuff, hopefully Whedon can run his series on Disney+. 

On 4/26/2019 at 2:03 AM, Joshua Strong said:

I rewatched all the MCU films and I have to say that the original Avengers film is one of the best written blockbusters of like the past 20 years. It might be the worst looking and ugliest movie of the past 20 years when you consider it cost $200M and the sets look like a CW show but man it’s a damn good time. I wonder what Infinity War/Endgame would be like if Whedon was still running things. 

Age of Ultron definitely got better with age too, I haven’t watched it since it came out on Blu Ray and liked it a whole lot more. It might be the best looking MCU film, everything isn’t muted and grey like everything else. I still love the Hawkeye stuff, hopefully Whedon can run his series on Disney+. 

Huh?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 5:26 PM, Balta1701 said:

Huh?

I might get too inside baseball here but the cinematography and production design of the original Avengers film are horrendous. The movie cost over $200M and it looks a  really bland tv show. An episode of Game of Thrones cost anywhere between $8M-$12M and looks way better. The DC/CW shows are way cheaper than that and look better considering their budget.

The lighting in the film is very flat and unmotivated, every shot begins with a establishing long shot and is filled with medium shots for most of the movie. There’s no motivated camera work either in the film, the only interesting things that come to mind are the shot in NYC when the Avengers band together and when Banner picks up the scepter and the camera does that slow barrel roll. The colors in the film are also very dull, not quite as bad as Civil War but still bland.

I know Whedon came from a TV background but it seems like he was so focused on getting the characters to work that he completely forgot about the visual language/storytelling of the film but the script and performances are so good that you’re able to forgive these huge flaws. 

Whedon was smart to ditch the DP of the original film and go in a different direction for Ultron, which looks like it actually cost its budget, has richer color, motivated lighting and better costumes, which is another problem I have with the original Avengers film. I know Ultron was shot on film, that helped tremendously. The best looking Marvel films are Guardians 1 & 2, Iron Man 1, Cap 1, Captain Marvel, and Black Panther (although the CGI was bad)  

Color grading is something I do a lot, it’s really fun but here’s a good video on the look of the MCU and it’s blandness. 

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Anyone see Far From Home?  Have a question on the villian’s intentions.

Thought it was good not great. I can try and answer but I'm cloudy as well. Was gonna wait for @Kyyle23 to see it to ask

50 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hide contents

What was Mysterio & team trying to accomplish exactly?

Think he was trying to dupe Fury into letting him into the Avengers using Stark tech then was going to destroy them from within. Could be off though. That is why he wanted to kill everyone who knew his scam. My question is, is there still just one realty and the multi realities was a lie by Misterio and crew?

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
22 minutes ago, Tony said:

Not sure what the hell WandaVision was, but I didn’t hate it 

Based on what I have seen from the trailers and the first two episodes it feels like something (grief?) caused her to create this reality, and the new version of shield is trying to break through to her

31 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Based on what I have seen from the trailers and the first two episodes it feels like something (grief?) caused her to create this reality, and the new version of shield is trying to break through to her

Feel like the villains are going to be AIM?

9 hours ago, Tony said:

Feel like the villains are going to be AIM?

Not sure, rumor is Mephisto, and that the agency outside trying to get in is SWORD.

either way, I'm already very interested.  The way Vision and Wanda are both questioning everything and accepting everything, the costars dropping clues and leading them in different ways(love Hahn already).

its Bewitched + Truman show + Pleasantville + Marvel.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Not sure, rumor is Mephisto, and that the agency outside trying to get in is SWORD.

either way, I'm already very interested.  The way Vision and Wanda are both questioning everything and accepting everything, the costars dropping clues and leading them in different ways(love Hahn already).

its Bewitched + Truman show + Pleasantville + Marvel.

Each episode is supposed to be a new decade based on the trailer. We've got the Brady Bunch up next.

Agnes is mad suspicious. 

13 minutes ago, Quin said:

Each episode is supposed to be a new decade based on the trailer. We've got the Brady Bunch up next.

Agnes is mad suspicious. 

They are presenting Dottie as suspicious too but I feel like that is a red herring.  Agnes is definitely suspicious though 

44 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

They are presenting Dottie as suspicious too but I feel like that is a red herring.  Agnes is definitely suspicious though 

I think Agnes...spoilers and all that in quote box.

is the only real person. Her "star of the show" comment, the devil comment, the fact that no one seems to interact with her besides Wanda. Like how Dottie didn't accost her. There were also some possibly comic clues in the Bewitched 60s intro.

38 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I agree. Interesting with possibility. 

And good on Marvel for taking a shot at something totally different. I assume Falcon and Winter Solider is going to be pretty straight forward, which is fine, but at nice to see them taking chances with different shows. 

26 minutes ago, Tony said:

And good on Marvel for taking a shot at something totally different. I assume Falcon and Winter Solider is going to be pretty straight forward, which is fine, but at nice to see them taking chances with different shows. 

Yep. Not everything needs to all action, all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Marvel was like "alright everyone, take a peek behind the curtain and now we can all move this thing forward"

the opening scene "unblip" was a very jarring look at what reality the people in the MCU would be experiencing.  I appreciate that they put that in the show, and haven't left the narrative as "well after everyone came back it was fine" and they showed the total chaos that situation would dictate, especially in a hospital

• Like 1