The Beer Thread

ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (SnB @ May 7, 2015 -> 08:47 AM)
IPA's are ok, but my favorite beers are dry, somewhat hoppy, red ales. Unfortunately, there's not that many of them out there. My favorites have been: Kingpin Double Red Ale and Sierra Nevada's Flipside Red IPA.

Any other rec's?

It's probably not available in the midwest, but Highland Brewing Company has a red IPA that might fit your taste: http://www.highlandbrewing.com/craft-brews...ls-britches-ipa

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 7, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
Yeah Im not a big IPA fan myself, I like German Pilsners mostly.

What's your pils of choice? I leaned towards Spaten when I drank pilseners more often. Recently I like Victory Prima Pils and Jinx Proof (I swear I don't like EVERY Three Floyds product :P ).

Edit-whoops, missed your last post. Don't think i've had either one.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

It must have been before the hype built up so much, but back in 2009 I found a 4-pack of Goose Island Bourbon County just sitting on the shelf at Binny's. I hadn't heard of it before, but I gave it a try. I drank one bottle the first night and knew it was something special. I let the other three age 2-3 years before drinking them.

Awesome stuff, but no way am I going to wait in a line of 300 people the day after thanksgiving at 6 am.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 7, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
It must have been before the hype built up so much, but back in 2009 I found a 4-pack of Goose Island Bourbon County just sitting on the shelf at Binny's. I hadn't heard of it before, but I gave it a try. I drank one bottle the first night and knew it was something special. I let the other three age 2-3 years before drinking them.

Awesome stuff, but no way am I going to wait in a line of 300 people the day after thanksgiving at 6 am.

Only in the past half decade or so has Bourbon County blown up into the psychotic craziness that is is. It used to just sit on shelves for months, now that craft beer has become a collector's market of sorts these big releases are just insane. (ie: Dark Lord Day)

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 7, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)

That stuff is pretty awesome. I happened to be at Binny's this year when they had it on draft in their tasting room (think it was South Loop). I agree on the crowds on Black Friday, but didn't Binny's make a big deal this past year about how every location would get SOME of it?

Big Sky got me thinking. One of my wife and I's favorite things about our summer travels is eating and drinking locally. There are a few good brewing companies in the Montana - Wyoming area.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 7, 2015 -> 01:30 PM)
What's your pils of choice? I leaned towards Spaten when I drank pilseners more often. Recently I like Victory Prima Pils and Jinx Proof (I swear I don't like EVERY Three Floyds product :P ).

Edit-whoops, missed your last post. Don't think i've had either one.

Those are some of the recent ones, I pretty much like most of the ones I try. Lagunitas has a nice one that is always around and so does Metropolitan.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 7, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)
On a sidenote, outside of Sierra Nevada, I really don't like IPA's. I am a stout / lager / brown ale kind of guy....and if it isn't that, scotch or whiskey.

We'd be great drinking buddies :cheers

All the talk of pale ales reminded me of a couple of my favorites. Two American Pale Ales from Three Floyds top my list: Alpha King and the seasonal Zombie Dust.

Speaking of Three Floyds, Gumballhead is one of my all time favorites.

Going back to the Blue Moon conversation, I remember drinking it in the mid-90s, and not many people had tried it. It, along with berrs such as Sam Adams and Pete's Wicked Ale really got the microbrew trend going. I'm still a Blue Moon fan, especially on tap, but there are better Belgian whites out there.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 8, 2015 -> 06:11 AM)
All the talk of pale ales reminded me of a couple of my favorites. Two American Pale Ales from Three Floyds top my list: Alpha King and the seasonal Zombie Dust.

Speaking of Three Floyds, Gumballhead is one of my all time favorites.

Going back to the Blue Moon conversation, I remember drinking it in the mid-90s, and not many people had tried it. It, along with berrs such as Sam Adams and Pete's Wicked Ale really got the microbrew trend going. I'm still a Blue Moon fan, especially on tap, but there are better Belgian whites out there.

You can get Zombie Dust year-round, it's just really hard to find. A lot of smaller places don't get it every week, and even the larger Binny's sell out quickly (the guy at the Downers Grove one said it's usually gone by noon on delivery day). I found it a few times due to helpful beer guys that hid it in the back. Luckily I was near the brewery recently when they had it and bought two cases. :D

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 8, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
They just opened up a new brewery in forest park, awesome.

I still love going to Founders in Grand Rapids, food and beer and then take a little tour over to hopcat to continue.

Grand Rapids is a very underrated midwestern city, great times can be had there.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 7, 2015 -> 08:01 PM)
Im not really into drinking, but went to Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee and I can report that their "White" was one of the few beers ive ever liked in my life.

They have a very solid collection of beers. Have you done Milwaukee Brewing Company's tour? Literally 2 hours of all you can drink for $10 plus you keep the glass, that "tour" is the best.

You know you are in a great beer pub when . . .

Each beer and glass is carefully matched, not a one glass fits all approach. Double points if the bartender knows why.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 8, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
Grand Rapids is a very underrated midwestern city, great times can be had there.

Its incredible, I love it there. You could easily have a nice weekend with guys friends or couples and not spend too much.

Its incredible, I love it there. You could easily have a nice weekend with guys friends or couples and not spend too much.

I lived in East Lansing for two years and Battle Creek for one and spent a lot of time in GR while living both places.

I still love going to Founders in Grand Rapids, food and beer and then take a little tour over to hopcat to continue.

I have heard of Exit Strategy but didn't realize they're in Forest Park. I'll have to check it out. I know Cahoots claims to be an Oak Park brewery, but they don't have a facility.

You should check out Beer Shop on North Blvd. They have 12 taps with smaller, mostly local breweries plus some retail. You might even see me in there, the owner already remembers my name. :lol:

We did that trip with a couple of friends three summers ago. First night in Kalamazoo at the Beer Exchange (beer prices go up and down based on sales volumes like stock prices) and then Bells. Stopped over at New Holland on the way up to Grand Rapids the next day. Grand Rapids was then Hop Cat and Founders.

been trying to get it together again the last two years but just hasn't worked out.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 8, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
I have heard of Exit Strategy but didn't realize they're in Forest Park. I'll have to check it out. I know Cahoots claims to be an Oak Park brewery, but they don't have a facility.

You should check out Beer Shop on North Blvd. They have 12 taps with smaller, mostly local breweries plus some retail. You might even see me in there, the owner already remembers my name. :lol:

Yeah did they open up yet? I live within walking distance.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 8, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
What is the typical spread of beer prices?

Well there's everything from miller lite to rare microbrews so maybe $1/16oz up to $12? There was also a "market crash" while we were there and nothing was over $4 or $5 for about 10 minutes.

fun side note: this would be illegal in Illinois since you must maintain the same drink prices from open until close.

Edited by StrangeSox