The Beer Thread

ZoomSlowik

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2015 -> 09:01 AM)
Without getting into micro's, my favorite beer right now is the new White Wing by Shiner Bock. It is what Blue Moon wanted to be, but failed at. It is sooooo good.

Blue Moon helped start the microbrew revolution, it accomplished quite a bit.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 7, 2015 -> 09:40 AM)
Blue Moon helped start the microbrew revolution, it accomplished quite a bit.

Blue Moon is fine for what it is. It is a large step up from the Miller Lites and Coors of the world. But it also a good step below the the White Wings and Hoegaarden's of the world.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
Blue Moon is fine for what it is. It is a large step up from the Miller Lites and Coors of the world. But it also a good step below the the White Wings and Hoegaarden's of the world.

Sure, but when it was released it was developed at Coors field as a microbrew alternative for mainstream beer drinkers and helped usher in people's appetites for something different.

And in Canada its called Rickards White which is cool.

QUOTE (Yoda @ May 7, 2015 -> 06:49 AM)
I’m all about IPA’s. Alpha King, Revolution Anti-Hero, Hercules Double IPA, Sierra Nevada, anything with lots and lots of hops.

Sierra Nevada is such an old school, yet extremely solid microbrewery. They disappointed me this year, though, by replacing the Ruthless Rye IPA spring seasonal with that Beer Camp crap. Ruthless is one of my favorite beers of all-time, and the only way to get it this year is in an mixed IPA 12 pack. :angry:

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 7, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
It's coming up on Bell's Oberon season, probably my favorite beer.

Great beer. It's out now, actually. I remember talking to a vendor who told me that Bells brews Oberon through the baseball season. Spring Training through World Series. Kinda cool, and it seems to hold true every year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 7, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
Sure, but when it was released it was developed at Coors field as a microbrew alternative for mainstream beer drinkers and helped usher in people's appetites for something different.

And in Canada its called Rickards White which is cool.

It's a good "intro" beer for people who normally drink Coors etc.

Anchor Brewing Company, Sierra Nevada and a couple of other west coast brewers along with Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams) are usually the ones credited with starting and growing the craft beer industry. I didn't get to make it to the Sierra Nevada brewery when I was in Chico a few weeks back, but I hope to hit it when I'm back out there again.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 7, 2015 -> 10:11 AM)
It's a good "intro" beer for people who normally drink Coors etc.

Anchor Brewing Company, Sierra Nevada and a couple of other west coast brewers along with Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams) are usually the ones credited with starting and growing the craft beer industry. I didn't get to make it to the Sierra Nevada brewery when I was in Chico a few weeks back, but I hope to hit it when I'm back out there again.

Yeah but those didnt have the distribution Blue Moon and then Fat tire had at the time. Blue Moon has coors behind it which made it coast to coast. Us beer drinkers obviously tasted the regional beers when we traveled and such but Blue Moon was one of the first to really go nationwide.

My new favorite place for beer

http://www.thecove.us/index.php

4th Thursday Beer Tasting

Every 4th Thursday at 7:30pm

5 great beers

Enjoy Chips, Salsa and Beer. $5

beer_tasting_cove.jpg

Plus, a huge push for locally produced products. So you could spend a year getting through all the Texas products.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2015 -> 09:01 AM)
Without getting into micro's, my favorite beer right now is the new White Wing by Shiner Bock. It is what Blue Moon wanted to be, but failed at. It is sooooo good.

Hey, how are you getting Shiner products? I didn't think we were sharing.

I've never been a huge fan of IPAs, I only use sparingly. Just not the sort of taste profile I tend to like, though I say this after having a giant Columbus Brewing Co. IPA at the Clippers-Knights game yesterday. IPAs are intellectually challenging so I have to have my head in the game to appreciate all they have to offer.

If I want to just casually have a beer while watching a game or when I get home from work, my go-to for those situations is Dale's Pale.

One of my favorite beer styles is the scotch ale, even though there aren't a ton of my breweries making them (too busy making the almighty IPA!). Founders Dirty Bastard, OB Old Chub are good example of this style.

The style that made me interested in beer is the hefeweizen. The first I had was from Destihl in Bloomington but there are several great German ones distributed in the USA

QUOTE (South Sider @ May 7, 2015 -> 12:35 AM)
Already so many awesome brews/breweries mentioned.

rabbit is on point, Trader Joe's doesn't upcharge you for a make your own 6 pack. It's not the best selection since it's such a small store, but they work hard to bring in solid offerings. Scored a couple 6 packs of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA from there (YUM).

I made the trip into the city on the rainout Saturday. Since there was no game, I figured it would be a good idea to visit Revolution brewpub for the first time. Obviously, a great idea. Their food was awesome. I had fish and chips, and the bacon fat popcorn was awesome. Their fries....godly. Anyways I was with a buddy who had never had a drop of alcohol in his life, and he just turned 21 a few months ago. He agreed to try a few sips of various samplers that I ordered. I was originally drinking a Fist City, he didn't like it so I ordered a Cross of Gold golden ale, Bottom Up wit and Thee Destroyer double IPA. I knew he would hate the IPA, but to my surprise he also didn't care for the other two. Oh well, he's new to this. :)

What was really sweet, is that our server pretended that it was his birthday and brought him a sample size of Absinthe Minded, an imperial porter aged in absinthe barrels. Obviously, he hated it, but found it interesting because of the heavy black licorice flavors. Porters aren't really for me, either, but it was up to me to finish it so I let my predispositions go. An interesting beer, for sure!

Had a Riding High APA at the brewpub last week, fantastic beer. Thee Destroyer was also great and Fist City is going to be my beer of the summer, basically a lighter Ant-Hero which can be a bit much for heavy summer drinking.

Tried the Victory Kirsch Gose yesterday, so so good, incredibly refreshing drinkable beer with much more subtle salty notes than most Gose styles (such as Off Color Troublesome which is my go to Gose), it's brewed with tart cherries which really lends itself to the style. Probably gonna pick up another 4 pack today, perfect beer for a hot day.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 7, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
I've never been a huge fan of IPAs, I only use sparingly. Just not the sort of taste profile I tend to like, though I say this after having a giant Columbus Brewing Co. IPA at the Clippers-Knights game yesterday. IPAs are intellectually challenging so I have to have my head in the game to appreciate all they have to offer.

If I want to just casually have a beer while watching a game or when I get home from work, my go-to for those situations is Dale's Pale.

One of my favorite beer styles is the scotch ale, even though there aren't a ton of my breweries making them (too busy making the almighty IPA!). Founders Dirty Bastard, OB Old Chub are good example of this style.

The style that made me interested in beer is the hefeweizen. The first I had was from Destihl in Bloomington but there are several great German ones distributed in the USA

Weihenstephaner all day, every day. The ultimate Hefeweizen, true to the style and brewed by the world's oldest, continuously operating brewery.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2015 -> 10:27 AM)
They have been up here for a few years now. Thankfully still no Lone Star.

Blasphemy that Shiner should be shipped outside of Texas. Next thing you'll have Whataburger and great year round weather.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 7, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
Yeah Im not a big IPA fan myself, I like German Pilsners mostly.

My daughter is a huge IPA fan and she has introduced me to a couple, but I'm with those that just doesn't appreciate them. The last time I was having a few beers with my kids I noticed the $ tab was about the same, only we drank about half as many as we use to. Quality instead of quantity.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 6, 2015 -> 06:10 PM)
I'm a big fan of brown ales. Almost any brown ale will do.

Favorite brewery is Rogue, out of Oregon. Big Sky Brewing out of Montana is also one I enjoy.

I echo all of the above.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 6, 2015 -> 08:10 PM)
I'm a big fan of brown ales. Almost any brown ale will do.

Favorite brewery is Rogue, out of Oregon. Big Sky Brewing out of Montana is also one I enjoy.

Big Sky Trout Slayer is a really good wheat beer.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 7, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)

I haven't had a ton of scotch ales, but I thought Robert the Bruce was a good one. That was actually my first Three Floyds beer.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 7, 2015 -> 11:17 AM)
I haven't had a ton of scotch ales, but I thought Robert the Bruce was a good one. That was actually my first Three Floyds beer.

Wee Mac from Sun King down in Indianapolis is a really good scotch ale.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 7, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
Rock, if you like German Pilsners, hit Prost next time you are in Denver (about a block West of I-25 from downtown).

I'll try my best. I really like Krombacher and Braumeister Harvest these days.