The Beer Thread

ZoomSlowik

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno what their actual algorithms are but yeah in theory if everyone was ordering bud light, it's price would keep climbing.

edit:

http://kalamazoobeerexchange.com/index.php...1&Itemid=71

The Kalamazoo Beer Exchange is a two-story multi-tap bar and grill located in the beautifully restored Globe Building in downtown Kalamazoo. Offering 28 rotating draught beers from around the world, the Kalamazoo Beer Exchange bases pricing of these draught beers on real-time sales, like the stock market, resulting in an ever-evolving happy hour. Occasional “market crashes” will occur daily, dropping beer prices to their all-time low. The Kalamazoo Beer Exchange also offers a menu of interestingly prepared classic pub fare. Classic dishes will be made new again from the Bar Plates to the Main Fare and the open kitchen design will allow you to see just how “hand-made” the food really is.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 8, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
Yeah did they open up yet? I live within walking distance.

They opened Friday two weeks ago but didn't really announce it. Pretty solid place. As an added plus, Carnivore (and a few other places) deliver food.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 8, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
They opened Friday two weeks ago but didn't really announce it. Pretty solid place. As an added plus, Carnivore (and a few other places) deliver food.

Nice. I love another good option. RIght now I just go drink at Poor Phil's or FatDUck.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 8, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
We did that trip with a couple of friends three summers ago. First night in Kalamazoo at the Beer Exchange (beer prices go up and down based on sales volumes like stock prices) and then Bells. Stopped over at New Holland on the way up to Grand Rapids the next day. Grand Rapids was then Hop Cat and Founders.

been trying to get it together again the last two years but just hasn't worked out.

I made a similar trip a few years back. There's a small town called Paw Paw that has a brewery that we stopped in on the way. It wasn't really a nice place but the beer was good and we had a good time out in their beer garden.

Also went to the Beer Exchange and had no idea, but a girl we know from down here was bartending and hooked us up.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 9, 2015 -> 01:08 AM)
I made a similar trip a few years back. There's a small town called Paw Paw that has a brewery that we stopped in on the way. It wasn't really a nice place but the beer was good and we had a good time out in their beer garden.

Also went to the Beer Exchange and had no idea, but a girl we know from down here was bartending and hooked us up.

I've spent the night in county jail in Paw Paw.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 8, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
fun side note: this would be illegal in Illinois since you must maintain the same drink prices from open until close.

So can places in Illinois not have happy hour specials?

Rock next time you're up here give Fair State a shot. Great place, right now it's just a taproom, they don't distribute anywhere. Guy behind it (Nico) used to be at Live Oak down in Austin. I've also heard amazing things about the new Surly taproom.

Do you guys get Surly down in Chicago? It's probably the favorite local beer in the Cities. Either that or Summit.

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 9, 2015 -> 03:54 PM)
So can places in Illinois not have happy hour specials?

Rock next time you're up here give Fair State a shot. Great place, right now it's just a taproom, they don't distribute anywhere. Guy behind it (Nico) used to be at Live Oak down in Austin. I've also heard amazing things about the new Surly taproom.

Do you guys get Surly down in Chicago? It's probably the favorite local beer in the Cities. Either that or Summit.

Yeah that's the point of the law, no happy hours. I think the idea was that happy hours encourage people to get loaded up after work and then drive home or something.

A new brewery just opened for those in the South Burbs. It's in Mokena. It was Tribe Ale house. Now it's Tribes beer company. Just tapped their first brew this week. I knew I had to support the place because one of their first ones was a kolsch so ,as the owner said, they can get out of the Miller contract and not have to sell the pi$$ anymore.

Yesterday was pretty good. Had dinner at a restaurant to find they had just tapped a keg of Hopslam. (!)

Also enjoyed a Gringolandia Pilsner and Founders Rye IPA.

Later that night, at a different establishment, discovered Crystal Hero on tap. That beer is also damn good. Somewhere in there a couple shots happened. Today felt like someone had played basketball with my brain all night.

Meanwhile, got myself a couple nice bombers (Arctic Panzerwolf and Wicked Fist) to share with my friend who will be done abstaining from alcohol soon. Probably drink them if the Hawks win or lose the cup.

Random beer topic: If you could only drink products from one brewery for the rest of your life, which one would it be? Assume that you have unlimited access to any/all of their beers that are still being produced and that you can acquire any beer for macro-brew prices.

I think mine would be Pipeworks. It may not be my favorite brewery (it's one I buy often but not as much as Three Floyds, Revolution or Ommegang), but they create an insane variety of stuff. Granted I probably won't be drinking their weird s*** like Pastrami on Rye or The Walrus and the Carpenter, but I enjoy their IPA's and their Belgian-style beers (probably my favorite styles). Access is also one of my main issues with them, as I can't always get some of my favorites from them like Citra Imperial, End Boss or North & Western. Right now, it takes me 5 minutes to pick one of their beers and I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 11, 2015 -> 07:28 PM)
Bell's, Founders or even Half Acre if I have access to ALL beer.

Any beer in particular you're thinking of with the "ALL" part? I surprisingly haven't sampled a ton from them. I could see Hopslam/Oberon/Two-Hearted Ale being a nice combo, but could use another strong option or two.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 11, 2015 -> 07:35 PM)
Any beer in particular you're thinking of with the "ALL" part? I surprisingly haven't sampled a ton from them. I could see Hopslam/Oberon/Two-Hearted Ale being a nice combo, but could use another strong option or two.

I'm thinking more of Half Acre, their seasonals are limited in size and distribution but probably the best in the city; Double Daisy Cutter, Galactic Double Daisy Cutter, Navaja, Big Hugs all amazing and varied. Plus the main lineup: Daisy Cutter, Senita (RIP Heyoka), Akari Shogun, Pony Pilsner, distributed in pint cans, the finest way to mass distribute a beer, can't go wrong with any of them.

As for Bell's, the 3 you mentioned are all top shelf beers in their respective territories, had the pleasure of taking home a case of hopslam just after release and it was pure joy. They're known for thier lighter beers but Expedition Stout is great for the heavier side and of course the Black Note Stout is one of the finest in the country. The best thing about Bell's is pretty much all of their beer is great, they make a bunch of styles and their core beers and arguably the best in their class given their distribution.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 11, 2015 -> 08:52 PM)
I'm thinking more of Half Acre, their seasonals are limited in size and distribution but probably the best in the city; Double Daisy Cutter, Galactic Double Daisy Cutter, Navaja, Big Hugs all amazing and varied. Plus the main lineup: Daisy Cutter, Senita (RIP Heyoka), Akari Shogun, Pony Pilsner, distributed in pint cans, the finest way to mass distribute a beer, can't go wrong with any of them.

As for Bell's, the 3 you mentioned are all top shelf beers in their respective territories, had the pleasure of taking home a case of hopslam just after release and it was pure joy. They're known for thier lighter beers but Expedition Stout is great for the heavier side and of course the Black Note Stout is one of the finest in the country. The best thing about Bell's is pretty much all of their beer is great, they make a bunch of styles and their core beers and arguably the best in their class given their distribution.

I've really only had Daisy Cutter, which is solid. They're one of the breweries I need to visit some time in the near future. I could definitely see myself as a big fan of anything with a "double" in front of Daisy Cutter.

Half Acre would be a very solid choice, Big Hugz is an amazing Imperial Stout and Daisy Cutter is a quality IPA. I'd probably go Greenbush, their selection is pretty good and haven't been disappointed yet. Three Floyds would be up there as well.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 11, 2015 -> 10:16 PM)
Half Acre would be a very solid choice, Big Hugz is an amazing Imperial Stout and Daisy Cutter is a quality IPA. I'd probably go Greenbush, their selection is pretty good and haven't been disappointed yet. Three Floyds would be up there as well.

To me, it's tricky because it's not necessarily your favorite brewery. Zombie Dust is probably my favorite beer and I also enjoy some of their other products, but I'm not as thrilled with their options if I'm not in the mood for heavy hops. Of course the big wildcard there is Dark Lord. I've never had it and I'm sure some people would pick them just for that.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 11, 2015 -> 07:04 PM)
Random beer topic: If you could only drink products from one brewery for the rest of your life, which one would it be? Assume that you have unlimited access to any/all of their beers that are still being produced and that you can acquire any beer for macro-brew prices.

I think mine would be Pipeworks. It may not be my favorite brewery (it's one I buy often but not as much as Three Floyds, Revolution or Ommegang), but they create an insane variety of stuff. Granted I probably won't be drinking their weird s*** like Pastrami on Rye or The Walrus and the Carpenter, but I enjoy their IPA's and their Belgian-style beers (probably my favorite styles). Access is also one of my main issues with them, as I can't always get some of my favorites from them like Citra Imperial, End Boss or North & Western. Right now, it takes me 5 minutes to pick one of their beers and I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette.

New Glarus or Destihl

Edited by ptatc

So last night went to the "Beer dinner" at a local restaurant featuring Ommegang beers paired with different courses.

All in all I believe I tried 7 of their selections, ranging from a blond ale to an IPA to a Belgian wheat to an abbey and one of their Game of Thrones creations, a dubbel ale aptly called Valar Morghulis ("all men must die').

Had a nice time, and won 3 large bottles of the Valar Morghulis at the end of the night.

Had never been exposed to Ommegang, so it was nice to try so many of their selections.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 8, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
Yeah did they open up yet? I live within walking distance.

I went there last Saturday, give it a few more weeks. They didn't have quite a few beers on their menu ready yet.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 11, 2015 -> 10:16 PM)

I like both Three Floyds and Half Acre but also really enjoy Metropolitan, Two Brothers and Finch. So once again I have no answer.