The Beer Thread

ZoomSlowik

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 15, 2015 -> 07:59 PM)
I just mixed up a couple six packs. I'm in a wheat-y mood (which is my favorite anyway). I grabbed:

4 Fin du Monde

1 White Rascal (Avery Brewing)

1 Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat

1 Alaskan White

1 Bell's Oberon

1 Bell's Oarsman Ale

1 Hell or High Watermelon (21st Amendment)

1 Clemmentine White Ale (Clown Shoes)

1 Trappistes Rochefort

It'll be a fun Friday.

Love me some Fin du Monde.

I really need to try more stuff from Avery (The Reverend is really all I've tried and it's quite good) and Boulevard.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 15, 2015 -> 08:11 PM)

I really need to try more stuff from Avery (The Reverend is really all I've tried and it's quite good) and Boulevard.

I've heard good things but never had it before. I'm about to crack it open, I'll report back.

Fin du Monde is great, the smokey-wheat taste is mighty fine. Hoegaarden is similar for me.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 15, 2015 -> 09:00 PM)
I've heard good things but never had it before. I'm about to crack it open, I'll report back.

Fin du Monde is great, the smokey-wheat taste is mighty fine. Hoegaarden is similar for me.

Yeah, that White Rascal (Avery Brewing) was pretty damn good. Has that smokey flavor ala Fin du Monde.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 15, 2015 -> 08:11 PM)

I bought my brother some Avery beer as part of his xmas gifts, really good stuff.

For the party, 312 is pretty popular and acceptable to a lot of people. Anyone else notice a change though since Goose Island was bought? 312 just hasn't seemed the same, it's not as citrusy/flavorful as before.

Just got back from a tasting. Of course I liked a few IPA'S (Founders Centennial and Firestone Walker Easy Jack), but also liked the FW Pivo Pils and Founders Dirty Bastard. There are so many breweries out there I hadn't tried those before even though they're major ones.

QUOTE (South Sider @ May 16, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
UNdercover shutdown ale is back! Got a few bottles to try. Will report later on.

I've had mixed experiences with it. It's been amazing when i've had it on draft, but a few of my bottles had some unpleasant bitter carmel notes in the aftertaste. It made we wonder if I inadvertently skunked the beer.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 15, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
I've put way too much thought into this, so I'll ask for opinions.

I have to buy beer for a party we're hosting. At least 30 guests with variable drinking levels depending on who shows up. There will likely not be other beer snobs there, but I want stuff I will drink in case I buy too much. I guess another way to word it is I want good beer that will appeal to average drinkers as well as me without going crazy on price. I'm thinking...

Bell's Oberon and Two Hearted Ale (probably 12 and 6)

Revolution, probably a 6 each of Anti-Hero and Bottom Up (Fist City?)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale maybe?

Anyway, I would appreciate suggestions. Unfortunately, I will probably have to buy some light beer even though it goes against my pinciples.

Damn it! I bought the stuff for this party at the tasting today and I just realized Allagash White probably would have been a good choice. Oh well, their stuff is expensive anyways.

QUOTE (Pods70Rowand33 @ May 16, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
I just had Old Chub by Oskar Blues Brewery and that was pretty good. It's a Scotch Ale.

There's a waitress at World of Beer in Evanston whose favorite beer is something from Oskar Blues. Every time I'm there (which is maybe once or twice or year when I'm back in Chicago) one of my friends has to ask her "What's the beer you always recommend?! It's your favorite!!" Half hilarious, half facepalm.

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 17, 2015 -> 01:31 AM)
There's a waitress at World of Beer in Evanston whose favorite beer is something from Oskar Blues. Every time I'm there (which is maybe once or twice or year when I'm back in Chicago) one of my friends has to ask her "What's the beer you always recommend?! It's your favorite!!" Half hilarious, half facepalm.

Thank you for reminding me about G'Knight!

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 15, 2015 -> 07:59 PM)
I just mixed up a couple six packs. I'm in a wheat-y mood (which is my favorite anyway). I grabbed:

4 Fin du Monde

1 White Rascal (Avery Brewing)

1 Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat

1 Alaskan White

1 Bell's Oberon

1 Bell's Oarsman Ale

1 Hell or High Watermelon (21st Amendment)

1 Clemmentine White Ale (Clown Shoes)

1 Trappistes Rochefort

It'll be a fun Friday.

Let me know what you thought of this. I was at McBrides on 52 a couple weeks back and they had this on tap. When I ordered it, the waitress suggested I try a sample first because she thought it was a lot like a plain light beer. I tried a sample and agreed that it didn't have much watermelon flavor at all and was rather bland. I haven't tried it elsewhere yet.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 16, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
I've had mixed experiences with it. It's been amazing when i've had it on draft, but a few of my bottles had some unpleasant bitter carmel notes in the aftertaste. It made we wonder if I inadvertently skunked the beer.

I bought a couple bottles and so far I've had one, poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass. It was decently hopped, and very pleasant. There's always a chance that whomever handled your beer beforehand exposed it to some sunlight, or adverse temperature conditions. But so far, so good.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 20, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
Let me know what you thought of this. I was at McBrides on 52 a couple weeks back and they had this on tap. When I ordered it, the waitress suggested I try a sample first because she thought it was a lot like a plain light beer. I tried a sample and agreed that it didn't have much watermelon flavor at all and was rather bland. I haven't tried it elsewhere yet.

Bought a can expecting a super sweet beer, was pleasantly surprised by the actual beer. It's not really sweet, which I appreciate. It's basically an average wheat ale with a bit of watermelon flavors on the back end. It's not something I'd buy again, but it was interesting to try. The 21st Amendment IPA was really good.

QUOTE (South Sider @ May 20, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
I bought a couple bottles and so far I've had one, poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass. It was decently hopped, and very pleasant. There's always a chance that whomever handled your beer beforehand exposed it to some sunlight, or adverse temperature conditions. But so far, so good.

It's possible it was me. It was sitting in the car for a few hours on a hot day. I haven't really had that issue beforeI or since(outside of some impots in green bottles), so I'm not sure if that is what did it. That's why I made sure to point out that I thoroughly enjoyed it on tap.

Here are my current favorites:

Schofferhofer Grapefruit

Griekskirchner Lemon Radler

Lindeman's Framboise Lambic

Travelers Lemon Shandy

Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose

These are all very tasty brews. I highly recommend any of them if you like the fruit beers.

One of our favorite pastime places, Crane's Apple Orchards and Pantry in Fenville, MI, started making their own hard cider. Their semi-sweet cider was the perfect balance, really really good stuff for just starting out. Went and got a bit of a buzz there and walked out with a dozen cider donuts to split with the family, couldn't be happier :P

Just got a badge on Untappd for trying 30 different beers in a month! In honor of that achievement, here's the list in declining order of rating (yes, there's more than 30, I don't know why I just got it now)...

5 stars- Three Floyds Zombie Dust, Ommegang Glimmerglass, Ommegang Gnomegang, Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA

4 stars+- Pig Minds Sweep the Leg, Revolution Anti-Hero, Ale Syndicate Van de Velde, Founders Centennial IPA, Revolution Fist City

3.5-4 stars- Lagunitas Waldo's Special Ale, Firestone Walker Easy Jack, Founders Dirty Bastard, Avery White Rascal, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, Bell's Oberon, Pipeworks End Boss, Revolution A Little Crazy, Tyranena Citra Imperial IPA, Metropolitan Krankshaft, Firestone Walker Pivo Pils, Revolution Mean Gene, Victory Prima Pils, Ommegang Three Philosophers w/Cherry

3-3.5 stars- Deschutes Mirror Pond, Figure 8 Snake Pro Double IPA, Three Floyds Rabbid Rabbit, Revolution TV Party Rye IPA, Victory Hop Devil, Middle Brow Vitalogy, Penrose Desirous, Deschutes Inversion IPA, Ale Syndicate Municipal IPA, Firestone Walker Double Barrel Ale

2-3 stars- Deschutes River Ale, Revolution Cross of Gold, Deschutes Chainbreaker White IPA, Illuminated Kallisti

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 20, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)

Tried it, I agree with this. I did taste the watermelon but it was otherwise pretty bland.

Went to Atlas Brewing yesterday. Parking around there is an adventure, but it was worth the trip. The beer was pretty good (I liked the Diversey Pale Ale and Don't Be An Astro IPA the most) and the food was solid as well.

As an added bonus, Beermiscuous is just down the street. They have their own parking lot too! I didn't sample any of their taps because we went to the brewery first, but picked up quite a variety pack to go. It wasn't cheap, but they have a very good selection. My 6-pack:

Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA

Deschutes Freshly Squeezed IPA (most boring selection, thought about getting Ale Syndicate Roes Hill)

Victory Kirsch Gose

Schneider Weiss Aventinus (that one jacked up the price obviously)

Stone Ruination 2.0 Imperial IPA

Boulevard Sixth Glass Quad

Also fun: they had a sign that said "# of days since someone has asked about Zombie Dust: 1" :lol:

Edited by ZoomSlowik